Memorial Day

grinsebring

Global Moderator
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I am working p/t in a cemetery for the next couple months helping set lines and taking gps positions of graves for the city data base. This morning I noticed hundreds of American flags placed this past weekend at the graves of veterans. The cemetery has expanded from west to east over the years. Driving a golf cart down the access roads to the graves, I noticed the older or lower end had a considerable amount of Confederate flags, some had both. One section I saw a lot of Spanish American War. era vets graves. then WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Some of the family plot vet markers revealed the bodies were buried in France, Belgium, etc. I find myself straightening these flags that have been tripped over or windblown down. many of us will be visiting late family members and friends over the next month or so. I was wondering, could you look around and maybe straighten up a flag or two. Gil

Attachments

• 100_3738.JPG
    100_3738.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 123
I will too. Man - life is different in Florida - you show respect. Around here, I've noticed that the maintenance crew is having a good year if they get the grass cut once by Memorial day. (They always seem to keep the grass neat by the main roads - so it looks nice when you drive by at 40 MPH, but once you get inside it's not so short.)

Sounds like a real cool job Gil. I'd be straightening up all the flags too.

Some of the monuments and headstones in cemeteries are amazing.

Have you found the oldest grave there?

Hi Gil!
Thanks for what you do!!
I go out with my camera and photograph headstones, then transcribe them to several sites on the internet, USGenweb, Find-a-Grave, etc, so these cemeteries are documented before more stones are unreadable.
I always try to leave a cemetery in better condition than I find it.
I wish I could afford a bunch of those flags. I'd carry them with me and make sure every veteran's grave I found had one!!
Also, I'd like to ask folks on the forum, if they're out somewhere off the beaten path and find a headstone or two, Please get a good picture of it, (if you've got your camera with you) or jot down the info. Then, you can post it online, or just report it to the local historical society, or send it to me and I'll get it to the right place. There might be someone out there looking for that lost relative's grave.

Thanks,
Char

Back
Top Bottom