Who has an Anderson shaft on their NOX? Is it too long?

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
I just got mine today and with the lower rod in the very top hole and the head unit on the lower hole, the detector is just slightly higher or longer than with the stock setup with lower rod on the 4th hole from the top. I'm 5'10" and don't have exceptionally long arms so I have this new rod as short as it will go and it's still about 1/2" longer than I had it set up with the stock rod. How are others making out with it?

I used it yesterday for about a 1.5 hour hunt and it was fine in length. I'm just wondering how the folks shorter than me are finding it.

I went with the pluggers 34 inch one piece because I was afraid of it being too long for me. Absolutely love it though

Toad! Like You, I'm 5'10 and have short arms...I shoot 29" arrows....I think you need to reconsider your swing arc style maybe?...Attempt to change some ergonomics?

I cant get enough length on my lower gear!..both of my rigs are maxxed out with the Tall Mans lowers and as long as I can get them!...I like swinging a smooth and wide arc...like a 12' swath measured...

A guy has the coil flying way out in front and can hunt heads up!...not all hunched over and short stroking like a damned old Minelabber cripple! Comfortable and fast! It acts as a counterbalance for the weight of my @ss maybe? Like one of those perpetual motion toy birds a guy sees at the airport gift store? Same concept! Long shaft swinging like a Pendulum, and you are the metronome!

Swinging a big long shaft, a guy has to keep their main frame upright, nearly rocked back on their heels, not hunched over...

I just got mine today and with the lower rod in the very top hole and the head unit on the lower hole, the detector is just slightly higher or longer than with the stock setup with lower rod on the 4th hole from the top. I'm 5'10" and don't have exceptionally long arms so I have this new rod as short as it will go and it's still about 1/2" longer than I had it set up with the stock rod. How are others making out with it?

Once I set mine up like you did for length, I too felt it was a bit longer, but never thought to take a length measurement before and after. It never bothered my swing style, but I swing a bit short and slow. I'm not in a hurry, ever, nor concerned how much ground I cover, because time I have. As Mud-puppy stated, the swing arc style would make a difference.
One other thing I did, was install the Minelab cuff on the Anderson shaft. The cuff sits about 1/2" from the end of the shaft. I don't know how far the Anderson cuff sits, as I never installed it. Perhaps one configuration gives more room from the elbow to the control box than the other.

Toad! Like You, I'm 5'10 and have short arms...I shoot 29" arrows....I think you need to reconsider your swing arc style maybe?...Attempt to change some ergonomics?

I cant get enough length on my lower gear!..both of my rigs are maxxed out with the Tall Mans lowers and as long as I can get them!...I like swinging a smooth and wide arc...like a 12' swath measured...

A guy has the coil flying way out in front and can hunt heads up!...not all hunched over and short stroking like a damned old Minelabber cripple! Comfortable and fast! It acts as a counterbalance for the weight of my @ss maybe? Like one of those perpetual motion toy birds a guy sees at the airport gift store? Same concept! Long shaft swinging like a Pendulum, and you are the metronome!

Swinging a big long shaft, a guy has to keep their main frame upright, nearly rocked back on their heels, not hunched over...

You are 5'10" and swing a tall man shaft at max length?!? That must almost be parallel to the ground. I can't imagine the unnecessary added torque and stress on your shoulder from swinging with such a long shaft. I keep mine short to avoid fatigue and for better coil control. But then I am usually in the woods hunting.

I'm 6' tall, and I also swing a longer shaft (one away from max). I started with shorter shaft, just far enough to stay clear of my feet, but about 2 days in I realized why I am getting so much chatter -- my shoes. :laughing: So I lengthened a bit and the chatter went away. It's nowhere near parallel, though. The angle relative to my body is still acute.

You are 5'10" and swing a tall man shaft at max length?!? That must almost be parallel to the ground. I can't imagine the unnecessary added torque and stress on your shoulder from swinging with such a long shaft. I keep mine short to avoid fatigue and for better coil control. But then I am usually in the woods hunting.

Actually, Its a lot less stressful...I took great pains to develop a comfortable and ergonomic swing pattern......I barely grip the shaft, like holding a pencil, I swing with my body and not my arm....my arm is just there to guide it, not move it...

My arm, shoulder, elbow, and hand never get tired or fatigued in any way...my body motion and legs are doing the work, the detector is just along for the ride...

Momentum carries it around and back at a nice even and steady pace, nearly a 270 degree arc in a clear field or beach, cutting a 12' swath of coverage......plus I can reach under structures in totters and bushes and whatnot....With a short shaft a guy has to power it with their arm, on a long shaft set up, a guy can use inertia to his advantage....

Heck, I've even gotten rid of the camlocks and pop riveted the shafts permanently at full length...

Attachments

• F70-1.jpg
    F70-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 78
  • nov 21-15.jpg
    nov 21-15.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 67
  • nov 18-17-4.jpg
    nov 18-17-4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom