Take a kid nut hunting

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Found these yesterday while detecting.

These are the huge hickory nuts.

They can be properly busted and the goodies are huge--- similar to pecan halves

One 5 gallon bucket yields about 7 quarts of goodies.

I actually busted out a total of 6 gallons of goodies some 3 years ago.

I will come back here in about a month and post what they look like after busted.

They need about a month to dry.

Cheers

After dried.

A person needs a hammer,, a butcher knife and a pair of wire cutters.

I can actually get 1 quart of goodies per 35 minutes of busting.

Actually you don't bust,,,you cut the nut into quarters using knife and hammer,,,then use the wire cutters to extract nut.

It will come out whole in 4 monster pieces of done properly.

Well worth the time and trouble.

Better tasting than walnuts IMO.

And this procedure used on these nuts can't be used on walnuts due to inner design of shell.

Sad that here in lower Michigan the worms have taken over the hickory nuts. Same for Wisconsin. In the past we could gather 50% worm-free, but now almost all the nuts have the tiny pinhole (where the insect escapes). Haven't been out to gather any in a few years.

Tnsharpshooter, have you tried the steaming in water method to soften the shell for opening? That's what my relatives had always done. I've never tried it.

Interesting post, my kids love to gather walnuts, hickory nuts and acorns, we never actually DO anything with them, but they sure do have a blast collecting them!

After dried.

A person needs a hammer,, a butcher knife and a pair of wire cutters.

I can actually get 1 quart of goodies per 35 minutes of busting.

Actually you don't bust,,,you cut the nut into quarters using knife and hammer,,,then use the wire cutters to extract nut.

It will come out whole in 4 monster pieces of done properly.

Well worth the time and trouble.

Better tasting than walnuts IMO.

And this procedure used on these nuts can't be used on walnuts due to inner design of shell.

Dang that's way too much work for me, they sell them in a store? LOL

Dang that's way too much work for me, they sell them in a store? LOL

You better really love nuts to do all those steps! LOL

Finding silver is something I don't mind doing the work, but harvesting, cracking, drying nuts... eh, the reward is minimal compared to finding a silver dollar!

I get your analogy TN, but it's hardly the same finding a silver coin with a detector and doing all that work to eat a hickory nut! :lol:

That's why most just go buy them and eat them as opposed to growing a nursery of nut trees. LOL

Around here there are so many acorns and walnuts under the trees that it's hard to walk while detecting. On our farm we had an old horse drawn wagon with high sides pulled up under a black walnut tree. I would take a brick and a hammer and climb in and eat the nuts that had fallen into the wagon until I couldn't eat any more. My Grandfather said he could hear me cracking the nuts but couldn't tell where I was.

They sell silver coins and relics in the store too.

And you don't need an expensive detector to find nuts either.

lol, this is true. Just a tad bit of difference. I love swinging a detector, and Metal Detecting isn't necessarily about the end finds its also the journey. The Journey of picking nuts is much less desirable to me but the finds are usually pretty good!:laughing:

your last statement is very true, many of us nuts on this forum.:laughing:

Very cool! Any of you guys ever had any experience with Butternuts? Not sure what the official term is, but we had a couple big trees of them in Vermont, tasted great......

Back
Top Bottom