Merc City Trail

angellionel

Elite Member
I spent a few hours at “merc city” detecting one trail I’ve hit several times in the past. The soil at this trail is very mineralized, and is strewn with rusty nails, so it has been hard to reach anything beyond eight inches. This time I worked the area very slowly, using the 3 kHz frequency program after making a few adjustments, and was able to pick up several silver pieces and wheaties. The tones were erratic though. The wheaties are in poor shape too, but I’ll take them.

I also picked a small Fraternal Order of Eagles and Girl Scouts pin. All the targets were between 7 and 8 inches deep. Aside from the coins, I dug up a few rusty square nails and was fooled by a few small pieces of old wadded foil. The signals somewhat resembled deeply buried silver dimes.

Angel

Dimes: 1923, 1934, 1939 Quarter: 1936
coins042506A.jpg

191?, 1926, 1928, 1930, 1949
coins042506B.jpg

This website has history on the FOE organization.
http://www.foe.com/history/
find042506A.jpg

find042506B.jpg

Nice job Angel. Those deep coins can be tough to pick up. Signal sounds very broken - especially in mineralized soil.

HH
Mirage

Thanks everyone!

jrdavis119 said:
Very nice finds......silver came out looking really good.

Some did, but others I had to soak in a bath of ammonia for about 10 minutes to remove some rust stains acquired from being next to rusty square nails. :grin:

Mirage said:
Nice job Angel. Those deep coins can be tough to pick up. Signal sounds very broken - especially in mineralized soil.

Yeah, they can be easily missed if the signals are not carefully examined. In a quick hunt, they can be interpreted as trashy tones. Each signal had some sputtering to it. That section of the trail - it's about 8 by 50 - has produced some nice silver, and it may still hold more. I like to hit it after rainy days, because then the 4X4 trucks that are used in the area cut deep grooves into the ground.

Angel

Back
Top Bottom