Does Anyone Fill Those Coin Collecting Books Anymore?

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
My son asked me "why are we saving all these wheat pennies in a pile for?" I didn't have much of an answer. I remember those coin books that have a slot for all the dates/mint marks. I think I'm going to find one and just fill each slot with my best one for the slot and return the rest to circulation. Would be kind of fun, each time, to dig a wheat needed to fill an empty slot. Anyone doing this? Trying to put together a whole ground dug set of wheats or maybe something smaller like a set of war nickels?

Yes we have ones for IH, wheats, Memorials, and dimes nickles quarters. Not all are full, but it's a work in progress.;):lol:

Yes we have ones for IH, wheats, Memorials, and dimes nickles quarters. Not all are full, but it's a work in progress.;):lol:

I can't imagine that we could actually complete a whole set of wheat pennies from metal detecting, but I think we are going to see just how many slots we can fill.

I have filled a book with rosies from coin roll hunting. It was a lot of fun!

Several years ago I purchased a few of the books and planned on filling them up in chronological order with wheaties, but it never happened. :waiting:

The latest album I've filled is the Franklin Half series. Most holes were filled via roll hunting the last 10 years, but I had to buy a couple coins to complete it.

Filled two and one half 1946-1964 Roosevelt dime albums thru roll hunting.
Have a filled/complete 1964-2010 Kennedy half album, filled via roll hunting.
Almost completed Jefferson nickel album, yes roll hunting.
Almost completed mercury dime album.
Almost complete Ike dollar album, roll hunting.
Almost complete Walking Liberty half album.
1909-1958 Lincoln cent, about 90% complete.
IH cent album, about 50% complete.

Working on the Dansco 7070 US Type coin series, gonna be tough. It includes gold too.

I've got the wheat penny books, only missing 4 or 5 coins.....2 IHP books, V nickel book,only missing 2 coins, Buffalo nickel book, Jefferson nickel book, Mercury dime book, Silver Rosie book,.....and a 3rd IHP book my dad started with IHP he dug detecting....plan on buying another set of wheat penny books to fill with dug wheaties

You bet, I have about a dozen folders of various types (none complete quite yet). Also wheat pennies are worth at least 3 times face value each so why not save them! :D

You'll likely have the hardest time finding the 1909 varieties

I used to, but the main focus of my collection now doesn't have albums. I have actually added some to my IH book within the past year, but since I collect mainly ancient coins, there are no albums for those.

-- Tom

Used to have fun filling those books as a kid (wish I still had those) but I might consider getting a few again instead of having a bunch of loose coins piling up.

I have one mail wheat penny book that's lacking only about 2 coins, then several wheat books with fewer pennies (overflow from the main book) that have been in the family for years. Lotsa fun!
I remember in the Fifties and Sixties occasionally finding a steel penny in my change. YOWZA!! :D
Sage(Making cents)Grouse

I can't imagine that we could actually complete a whole set of wheat pennies from metal detecting, but I think we are going to see just how many slots we can fill.
It won't be too hard with pennies EXCEPT the 1909 S VDB, and the ever elusive 1943 copper cent.:laughing:

It won't be too hard with pennies EXCEPT the 1909 S VDB, and the ever elusive 1943 copper cent.:laughing:

If I found either of those I'd take some pictures, and then I'd be selling them for the highest possible price, they definitely wouldn't be sitting in a coin book, but I could put the pictures of them in the coin book :lol:

I have a jeferson nickel book i started when i was a kid... still missing a bunch but i only put ones found in change

I recently put all of my moms wheat pennies into a few coin books
0226182040.jpg

I have a buffalo nickel book, quarter book, roosevelt dime book and a couple other penny books. Just for fun though, most arent worth anything im sure

Yes! I use folders, and they are a vital part of my coin collection. They present an easy and organized method of coin collecting that is, more importantly, fun. :) My personal favorites are the Whitman folders, as I like their elaborate look.

Back
Top Bottom