Is it ok to hunt here??

N2990

Elite Member
So in my area of town, there is a very old cemetery. It's probably a couple of blocks in area, and is contained by what I would say is a 5-6 foot brick wall. Outside the wall and the gates, and between the street, there is strip of maybe 10 feet of grass that goes all around the outside of the cemetery. Is this area ok to hunt? The last thing I want to do is disrespect/disturb the dead.

if on the outside of the wall.. you would be hunting a curb strip and not the cemetery. Most curb strips are city property and would be open to hunting unless the city has an ordinance against metal detecting

I would hunt the curb strip and anything outside the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with detecting outside the wall, but if any of the residents complained, I would move on.

How terrible would it be to dig a body on the sidewalk side of the wall? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
GL/HH!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The area between the wall and the street May be street right of way but any other area is Private Property and you will need permission of the owner.

The local cemetery is across the street from my house and is surrounded by fields. The cemetery owns the fields and I have full permission to hunt those fields well away from the actual cemetery. I have been hundreds of yards from the cemetery and had the cops called on me 3 times and numerous people stay there watching me for long periods of time after visiting their loved ones. 2 people felt the need to walk out into the field and read me the riot act for being near a cemetery. If you hunt near the dead be prepared for some unwanted attention.

Yeah, the really skinny people are buried in the strip between the curb and sidewalk. Be careful.

The local cemetery is across the street from my house and is surrounded by fields. The cemetery owns the fields and I have full permission to hunt those fields well away from the actual cemetery. I have been hundreds of yards from the cemetery and had the cops called on me 3 times and numerous people stay there watching me for long periods of time after visiting their loved ones. 2 people felt the need to walk out into the field and read me the riot act for being near a cemetery. If you hunt near the dead be prepared for some unwanted attention.

Here in East Texas, there are a multitude of cemeteries next to old country churches, many on old one-lane oil-topped roads. I've never had a problem hunting outside the fenced area of a cemetery. But then, there's not a lot of traffic around them, and I wouldn't stop if there was someone in the cemetery visiting grandpa. A lot of the old country churches around here still have an annual cemetery day or reunion (used to be cemetery clean-up day, but they started paying for that!) There are permanent picnic tables under the trees near the cemetery. Too good a spot to pass up! Plus, I can always say I have relatives there, because more than likely I do. My great grandparents on dad's side had 18 children and they married anything in the south half of the county that didn't run faster than they did!

So in my area of town, there is a very old cemetery. It's probably a couple of blocks in area, and is contained by what I would say is a 5-6 foot brick wall. Outside the wall and the gates, and between the street, there is strip of maybe 10 feet of grass that goes all around the outside of the cemetery. Is this area ok to hunt? The last thing I want to do is disrespect/disturb the dead.

Best thing you could do would be to see if this site has a GA State forum, and use advice given there as a starting point.

Worst thing you could do would be listen to advice by someone who lives half the country away.

I recall reading a while back GA has some funky laws regarding MDing, so you'd be well-advised to research them on your own.

Back
Top Bottom