OLD Tree finds

A few years back I was out detecting for only the 9th time trying to learn my new Ace 350 in a park. About 30 yards from a natural spring there is a grove of old and large pine trees. I got a signal about 1 foot from the trunk of one of the trees. From the signal, I thought I was digging a quarter about 4 -5" down tangled in the roots. I could see the reeded edge of the coin and could barely get my fingers between the roots to pry it out. Turns out it was an 1825 Half Cent! I can imagine an early settler sitting back against the tree, taking a break after getting a drink and watering his horse. Still my best and oldest coin find. Along with trees, it makes sense that all the early inhabitants knew where the springs were and frequented them.

Old tree observations from a Lifetime of Wilderness rambling....Like any other critter, Humans are drawn to structure...Consider and evaluate old trees accordingly...

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "The best time to plant a tree was 20yrs ago, the second best time to plant a tree is today"..

A guy comes across an old tree, 300+yrs old?... Ask yourself, "Why was this tree spared the saw?" Surely it had some sort of importance? It could be lone and abandoned out in the middle of a cotton field, perfect shade and picnic rest area...Yeah, give it a sweep!...

Old Trees are Planetary anchors....good place to start for tracking Humans...If an old tree could talk, the stories they could tell! They DO talk...if you got a detector and are willing to listen to its stories...

Case in point...Me and the Wife made our Daughter underneath a nice old woodland Beech back in 1979 when we were dating...Moonlite night, stars overhead.........I think I may have lost my pocketknife in the process...it was worth it though....Monumental and Life changing experience!! I bet that old Beech got quite a giggle,

Not unusual or noteworthy...Since the Dawn of Time, most Humans were conceived out of doors on a sultry night, underneath a big Old Tree!.......:laughing:

When you're "gettin' Jiggy With it" (I think that's what the kids call it nowadays), you do NOT want the beech to giggle.

Have you ever had a tree root give you a signal?

I have a couple of times. I do not recall what type of trees they were but I could follow the larger tree roots with my metal detector. Kept getting a signal over the tree root and as you followed the tree root out from the tree the signal was still there. I figured that the tree had pulled some of the mineralization out of the soil so over the years and it was enough to set off the detector.

Ray

Have you ever had a tree root give you a signal?

I have a couple of times. I do not recall what type of trees they were but I could follow the larger tree roots with my metal detector. Kept getting a signal over the tree root and as you followed the tree root out from the tree the signal was still there. I figured that the tree had pulled some of the mineralization out of the soil so over the years and it was enough to set off the detector.

Ray

or it was pulling the CACHE of gold that was sure to be there farther and farther out from the original spot.. right.. that had to be it ..right !!

A few years back I was out detecting for only the 9th time trying to learn my new Ace 350 in a park. About 30 yards from a natural spring there is a grove of old and large pine trees. I got a signal about 1 foot from the trunk of one of the trees. From the signal, I thought I was digging a quarter about 4 -5" down tangled in the roots. I could see the reeded edge of the coin and could barely get my fingers between the roots to pry it out. Turns out it was an 1825 Half Cent! I can imagine an early settler sitting back against the tree, taking a break after getting a drink and watering his horse. Still my best and oldest coin find. Along with trees, it makes sense that all the early inhabitants knew where the springs were and frequented them.

Half Cent doesn't have a reeded edge:lol:

Captain Silver

This is the edge I saw. Maybe not technically correct, but I'll call it reeded. You can call it what you want. And thank you so much for trying to make me look foolish and taking the "Friendly" out of this forum.

Attachments

• P7090428.jpg
    P7090428.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 167
  • P7090429 - Copy.jpg
    P7090429 - Copy.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 160
This is the edge I saw. Maybe not technically correct, but I'll call it reeded. You can call it what you want. And thank you so much for trying to make me look foolish and taking the "Friendly" out of this forum.

I don't think he meant anything by it...

"reeded" refers to the edge of the coin, like a dime or quarter, rather than the circumference of the coin....but I certainly can see where you could consider that "reeded", since it's got the same thing, only on the surface of the coin.

That's one heck of a great find though...it beats my oldest by about 100 years.

I really do not think there was any attempt to make you "look" foolish. I tend to think the correction was merely to point out a slight error in description. Because no one knows someones expertise in any field, I feel that pointing out the difference is an honest attempt to educate. I questioned your terminology as well as I know copper coins are not reeded, that falls to the silver and some gold coins, except the 20 cent silver and 3 cent silver.

It got me thinking too. I couldn't think of a copper coin that was reeded. I googled it and realized what you meant. I would love to see that edge in the dirt any day!
I don't think he was being unfriendly. (Maybe the laughing emogi was a little much) It's always the guy that is easily offended that makes the forum awkward. I appreciate you sharing the story. Try not to take any response your receive too seriously. Glad you're here!

Just for clarification, those are called denticles.
Typically you will see them on Injuns.

Denticles
Small toothlike projecting points on the inside edge of coins.

OP - don't get too worked up, this is still a friendly forum:D

Back
Top Bottom