How to pick the right curb strip for old coins

I think the book idea is great. Curb strips can be a great introduction into the hobby, if done with a little commonsense and respect. People are use to seeing people occasionally doing some unknown type of work in them. We've all seen those little flags planted, days or weeks later, they are gone, little or no sign of anything ever done. Vast majority of property owners don't think it so unusual, to want to know specifically what you are doing, unless you are in front of their house for a long time.

They are a great introduction for those not in the hobby. People get use to seeing us out in public places, get to see us practice responsible recovery, and how respectful we can be. I use a 5 gallon bucket for the junk and trash I dig up, smaller container for the better stuff. Anyone curious enough to ask, I answer honestly and openly, show them what's in the bucket, even the better stuff. It's not all silver and gold, but gives a good picture of what I actually find, and how much work I do to get it. I'm not getting rich from it, but not completely wasting my time either. From some of the conversations I've had, I could see gaining permission to do some yards as well.

Think I'd go with the self-published, electronic version, keep it priced low, see the sales numbers. There are places that will do bound, print copies, on demand (just one, or hundreds). If you have good electronic sales numbers, you might get a better deal if you want to go with a print version.

Awesome topic Swing360! Thanks for starting it and the pointers! I subscribed as I'm very interested in this as well. Great thread!

I want more!!!!!!!!

Paul B

Thanks for bumping this Paul B, or I may never have found it! One of the best threads I've found on here so far - I'll definitely be trying some curb strips near me soon :grin: I don't know if you're still active on the site, Swing, but thanks for starting this thread - great info, and great contributions from everyone

Rights Of Way: ​The surface of and the space above and below any public street, public road, public highway, public freeway, public lane, public way, public alley, public sidewalk, public boulevard, public parkway, public drive or any public utility easement or public rights of way now or hereafter held by the city.

I am going to start carrying this with me. I printed this out and those words above are the towns own words on their Code of Ordinances. Should work.

Attachments

• row.jpg
    row.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 387
Rights Of Way: ​The surface of and the space above and below any public street, public road, public highway, public freeway, public lane, public way, public alley, public sidewalk, public boulevard, public parkway, public drive or any public utility easement or public rights of way now or hereafter held by the city.

I am going to start carrying this with me. I printed this out and those words above are the towns own words on their Code of Ordinances. Should work.

That is a nice graphic! You also need to check with the municipality you are in as not all are the same. Some roads that look like they would be Public, the property owners own to the middle of the road. Check your county's Plat Maps!

I hunted curb strips in Utah a lot when I was there. I have a pretty funny story if anyone is interested about the police being called on me. I found a lot of old silver and wheat's on the strips and a beautiful pearl ring with a 11.5mm pearl in it. Anybody in SLC Utah the avenues is where it is at.

I mostly hunted at night to keep gawkers away and less hassles. Unfortunately it is when I was first learning to detect and I tossed out junk that to some wouldn't have been junk. Like a canon friction primer.

I sure wish I had a picture of it but my second best coin I ever found came off those strips. A 1914D penny. I was showing a friend my machine was deeper than his Garrett and told him I had a penny signal. No matter what way he went over it his machine stayed silent. I dug it up and blew us both away. He sold the Garrett and bought a Whites the next week.

I have hunted a few curb strips here in Michigan but frankly, I am scared to. I live about an hour from Detroit and this city is not the same city I grew up in anymore. That's about all I want to say on the subject.

I've been reading every word of this thread and then saw your name and thought "oh no... he's going to say he's cleared out the Avenues".... sure enough. :)

Did you leave anything for me?

I'm glad this discussion thread has come back to life and it has some interesting info. One question I'm wondering about, as a relative newbie.... Early in the discussion it was stated that when working next to the sidewalk it's better to swing the detector at a 90 degree angle to the walk rather than swinging it parallel to the sidewalk. I wonder why this is the case (not disputing it, just wondering what the logic is here).

I'm glad this discussion thread has come back to life and it has some interesting info. One question I'm wondering about, as a relative newbie.... Early in the discussion it was stated that when working next to the sidewalk it's better to swing the detector at a 90 degree angle to the walk rather than swinging it parallel to the sidewalk. I wonder why this is the case (not disputing it, just wondering what the logic is here).

because coins that fall between the edge of the sidewalk and the dirt are typically standing on edge against the concrete. You will get a decent but often double hit when swinging across them 90 degrees. If you swing the other way, you may not get any response at all.

If using a DD coil you will be able to get close to the sidewalk when perpendicular to it, because tip of the coil has both loops of the DD coil, and the side of the coil only has one loop.

because coins that fall between the edge of the sidewalk and the dirt are typically standing on edge against the concrete. You will get a decent but often double hit when swinging across them 90 degrees. If you swing the other way, you may not get any response at all.

Makes sense, thanks!

WHATS GOING ON MY HOOLIGANS?!??!!?!?!

Figured i'd give this a quick 2018 bump for all the new people.

Also, since I haven't been on in awhile I figured I'd show my ugly mug 😂

Awesome thread, thanks everyone

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

In Michigan the LAW is 18' from the center of the road to the side is public property. Not to the sidewalk or first joint. Your picture is great. Some would think that if they have all grass and no sidewalk they own everything.

Can you imagine measuring the road, dividing in half, measuring 18' out from that and marking their grass with the paint the utilities do and then detect?

I've been reading every word of this thread and then saw your name and thought "oh no... he's going to say he's cleared out the Avenues".... sure enough. :)

Did you leave anything for me?

Haven't seen you post for a very long time. Sure I left you something. That is where I had my very first police encounter also. Lots of memories!

Because this hasn't been up since the new year I figured I'd bump it since watching the increase in new Members.

All from the same curb strips I've been pounding for 4 years. I managed to top my silver coin record of 5 and bumped it up to 7. My best hunt of the new year so far

Oh man I found a feather thing like that one time that rang in the silver range and I never tested it. Gonna go home and see if I can find it and test it since I had forgotten about till reading through this thread!

Back
Top Bottom