We Let The Cop Off Easy, Wuss Award For Detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't like to hunt parks too much anymore because of this very same reason."
"it's the ridiculous laws that are out there"

You made a good post and I agree. Metal detecting is suppose to be fun and it certainly isn't fun if a person has no where to hunt or if they have to go through too much BS to hunt. As I tried to relate in my previous post here on the subject, I don't think the law is really defined here and I think the best way to find out (or better not find out) is to go and detect the park but in a different way. I do not think it would be illegal to go to this park and detect.

It sounds like you can detect here if nobody complains. That is of little relief to the person that wants to show up with their buddy and detect whenever they want during park hours. When a person is faced with this situation they can just not detect this park or they can get further involved and try to get it to where they can detect this park in the future without going through any BS. So it is a tough decision because by trying to get the position of the authority to state that it is okay to detect this park whether anybody complains or not may just further restrict it.

This is how I see the situation as it is now.

...You made a good post and I agree. Metal detecting is suppose to be fun and it certainly isn't fun if a person has no where to hunt or if they have to go through too much BS to hunt......

I suppose some people can consider odd-ball hours (5am Sat. AM, or weeknights after 6pm, etc...) to be inconvenient. Ie.: "not fun".

But to me, knowing that metal detecting can draw lookie-lous and connotations, I've actually gotten to the point where .... I actually PREFER those "odd-ball" hours. Even at night (for turf anyhow). So peaceful. So serene. :roll:

Because even if you remove all potential gripers, or complaints, or bootings from the equation, you're STILL left with the people who want to come watch. Ask you how deep it goes. What's the best thing you've ever found, etc... And you know, the leery eyes of someone in crowds who may get a bee-in-their-bonnet saying/thinking you shouldn't be doing this, etc...

And by the way, this attention-grabbing activity/image our hobby inherently has, is true EVEN IF YOU HAD "PERMISSION". It becomes no less of an eye-sore-magnet, which "permission" doesn't change. Anyone could still come up and gripe. And sure, "permission" might deflect them, but .... seriously now .... that's still not fun to have to debate someone on issues.

So to me, it's gotten to where I've gotten to where turf is primarily an off-hours low-traffic event. Other spots (beaches, etc...) would be different though. Because they don't carry the same connotations.

If I were in the situation as the OP I would only hunt this park during daylight hours within posted park hours. If there is no posted park hours and this park is always open I would not go at night. The reason being that if authority would see them he probably would not appreciate it as it would come across as going behind his back.

I would hunt it during the day and if authority questioned me (the OP) I would tell them that I thought it was okay if nobody complained.

i dont know why some of you guys even do this as a hobby. this IS my hobby. and if i am legal in a park, i'm gonna hunt that park. if someone doesnt like it they can pound sand and call the cops as often as they want.

i've already had a couple of run-ins with the local LEO's here in my town. both episodes ended with the LEO's leaving me to do my thing, while the person that called stood there fuming in the background.

stand your ground people, or you wont have ANY parks or public lad to hunt on in the very near future.

if you are in the right...then you are in the right. if it takes a ticket you beat in court, so be it. i am more than willing to do that in order to keep persuing my hobby.

are you?????

i dont know why some of you guys even do this as a hobby. this IS my hobby. and if i am legal in a park, i'm gonna hunt that park. if someone doesnt like it they can pound sand and call the cops as often as they want....

Well, yes and no. Those busy-bodies (if they're persons in authority, like gardener or cop or whatever) may get thwarted with your legal un-tanglings. And then, sure, I suppose that means they'll need to "pound sand", right? However, they could see to it that some rule IS perhaps instituted, to clear things up for the future, right?

Therefore, out-of-site is out-of-mind.

Kind of like nose-picking. Not illegal, hence you could do it in front of people all-you-want. Right? But sheesk, don't we all sort of respect other people's likes and dis-likes and ... use a little timing discretion ? Same sort of thing :roll: :laughing:

i dont know why some of you guys even do this as a hobby. this IS my hobby. and if i am legal in a park, i'm gonna hunt that park. if someone doesnt like it they can pound sand and call the cops as often as they want.

i've already had a couple of run-ins with the local LEO's here in my town. both episodes ended with the LEO's leaving me to do my thing, while the person that called stood there fuming in the background.

stand your ground people, or you wont have ANY parks or public lad to hunt on in the very near future.

if you are in the right...then you are in the right. if it takes a ticket you beat in court, so be it. i am more than willing to do that in order to keep persuing my hobby.

are you?????

i couldnt agree with you more.. people get the cops called on them everyday for doing absolutely nothing and 9 times out of 10 the cops realize that and go on their way, someone used this opportunity to say that were living in a police state, are you kidding me? after someone has a run in with the cops while MDing they come on here and act like theyre the victim.. just mind your business and keep on detecting, if your in a park that has rules against it then oh well youre wrong, if not and someone calls the cops theyre just nosey and have nothing better to do, youre not a being targeted for mding.. this hobby is filled with the some of the most uptight, sensitive people ive ever seen..

Sniff.

That was so hurtful! I am going down to my welding shop, turn off all the lights, and have a good cry!

Well, yes and no. Those busy-bodies (if they're persons in authority, like gardener or cop or whatever) may get thwarted with your legal un-tanglings. And then, sure, I suppose that means they'll need to "pound sand", right? However, they could see to it that some rule IS perhaps instituted, to clear things up for the future, right?

Therefore, out-of-site is out-of-mind.

Kind of like nose-picking. Not illegal, hence you could do it in front of people all-you-want. Right? But sheesk, don't we all sort of respect other people's likes and dis-likes and ... use a little timing discretion ? Same sort of thing :roll: :laughing:

well now Tom...some of us dont have the option of hunting in low traffic times. i go when i can, and if some busybody has a problem with me ...then its THEIR problem not mine. when the cops copme to talk to me.its STILL their problem if i'm perfectly legal.

i dont mess with others, and when someone gets in my business just because they got their panties in a wad over something i'm oing thats perfectly legal, they get my full attention as a result. and on occasion thats not a good thing :lol:

this is page 8 on this thread and only my 2nd comment on it. do i need to comment a 3rd time for you to get my point?

As a newby, I've been reading this post nightly. After our Memorial Day weekend campout in an Indiana State park I've been reading their rules concerning MDing. Check this out, rule number one:

•Do not injure or damage any structure, rock, tree, flower, bird or wild animal. Do NOT gather limbs, brush or trees (either dead or alive) for firewood because they rebuild the natural humus.

The way I read that, it says nothing about digging or cutting into any grass to cut a plug.

Then there's this:

Subject: Prospecting in Indiana
1. Purpose
The Navigable Waterways Act (IC 14-29-1-8), Flood Control Act (IC 14-28-1-5), and rules adopted at 312 IAC 6
and 312 IAC 10 govern prospecting in waterways in Indiana. "Prospecting" is defined in 312 IAC 6-2-6.8 as
activities conducted in preparation for or to remove hard mineral resources, including (1) gold, (2) platinum, (3)
silver, (4) lead, (5) copper, (6) diamonds and other gemstones, and (7) other similar materials. Rules adopted at
312 IAC 8 also govern activities on properties owned or controlled by the Department of Natural Resources
(DNR) and require a permit for a person to conduct prospecting on a nonnavigable waterway within a DNR
property. The DNR is the riparian owner for a navigable waterway that is adjacent to a DNR property and would
be treated as any other riparian owner. This information bulletin provides guidance on locations where
prospecting is likely to impact endangered species of fish and mussels, clarifies the permission required to
conduct prospecting on navigable and nonnavigable waterways, and includes information on the proper disposal
of contaminants that are found while prospecting

Confused? I am!!!

As a newby, I've been reading this post nightly. After our Memorial Day weekend campout in an Indiana State park I've been reading their rules concerning MDing. Check this out, rule number one:

•Do not injure or damage any structure, rock, tree, flower, bird or wild animal. Do NOT gather limbs, brush or trees (either dead or alive) for firewood because they rebuild the natural humus.

The way I read that, it says nothing about digging or cutting into any grass to cut a plug.

Then there's this:

Subject: Prospecting in Indiana
1. Purpose
The Navigable Waterways Act (IC 14-29-1-8), Flood Control Act (IC 14-28-1-5), and rules adopted at 312 IAC 6
and 312 IAC 10 govern prospecting in waterways in Indiana. "Prospecting" is defined in 312 IAC 6-2-6.8 as
activities conducted in preparation for or to remove hard mineral resources, including (1) gold, (2) platinum, (3)
silver, (4) lead, (5) copper, (6) diamonds and other gemstones, and (7) other similar materials. Rules adopted at
312 IAC 8 also govern activities on properties owned or controlled by the Department of Natural Resources
(DNR) and require a permit for a person to conduct prospecting on a nonnavigable waterway within a DNR
property. The DNR is the riparian owner for a navigable waterway that is adjacent to a DNR property and would
be treated as any other riparian owner. This information bulletin provides guidance on locations where
prospecting is likely to impact endangered species of fish and mussels, clarifies the permission required to
conduct prospecting on navigable and nonnavigable waterways, and includes information on the proper disposal
of contaminants that are found while prospecting

Confused? I am!!!

There-in lies crux which many posters here have escaped remembering or understanding. It is also a fact that about 99% of all city codes in the USA have vague verbage, and for certain this particular city does...not even one mention of the dig word at all.

I am personally just going to blow off hunting in Plano since I held off doing it for 4 years. It just ain't worth my time and energy, ant it certainly ain't worth it to knuckle under and visit their parks like a thief in the night.

If you gotta sneak around in off hours, then you are already guilty in your own mind.

....If you gotta sneak around in off hours, then you are already guilty in your own mind.

Martin, getting back to your initial string-of-events, let's say you'd just finished finding your 3rd key-date seated coin, at the time that had happened. Thus you're chomping at the bit to detect more in Plano, right? (who wouldn't :roll: ).

Seeing as how you can clearly see this was not a case of "rules", or "laws", per-say (since others, before you, had detected there for years un-bothered), you can see that it's ONLY a case of who-you-happened to run into, and how-they-happened to morph rules to appease one particular busy-body. Right?

So then, why WOULDN'T you have wished you didn't run into that particular lookie-lou ? Or if you could go back in time, to have simply picked another day or time ? Because wouldn't you want to add the 4th and 5th seateds to your growing collection ?

I'm not saying it's wonderful that there are people in this world who may not greet you with open arms. OF COURSE we ALL wish red-carpets were rolled out for us, and that every last person loved and condoned us. Who wouldn't ? But the fact that not every last archie, gardener, and soccer-mom doesn't rush to greet you with kisses DOESN'T mean that you/we are "guilty".

Sneaking around a place that had a true rule that said "no detecting" ? Yes, that would be hiding the guilt. But avoiding those who make wrong conclusions, and boot you for no other reason that their personal connotations? No, I do not mark that up to "guilt". I call that good sense not to ruffle certain people who might not like it.

There-in lies crux which many posters here have escaped remembering or understanding. It is also a fact that about 99% of all city codes in the USA have vague verbage, and for certain this particular city does...not even one mention of the dig word at all.

I am personally just going to blow off hunting in Plano since I held off doing it for 4 years. It just ain't worth my time and energy, ant it certainly ain't worth it to knuckle under and visit their parks like a thief in the night.

If you gotta sneak around in off hours, then you are already guilty in your own mind.

I'd e-mail the park (this way you have it in writing) and tell them you were kicked out of the park for metal detecting, but no where are any rules posted against the hobby. Let them try to explain why they enforce a no detecting policy when no rules are in place. Another route you can take is to print out the park rules, go detecting there, and if the cop stops you, show him the rules, and inform him that whoever he spoke with is trying to enforce their own personal agenda but in no way are you legally banned from the park.

Well, here you go Martin. Make a copy of this and take it with you next time you want to hunt in Plano !!! Sorry Tom, had to do it.
Mr. Sparks,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our view on using metal detectors are pretty much exactly as you describe in your own practice of Leave No Trace. Use of metal detectors is allowed, users should leave behind no damage to park property. Digging of deep or large holes is not allowed, but scratching the surface or using a small trowel to turn up a divot is permissible as long as the divot is replaced. We appreciate your efforts to leave the parks better than you found them. If you have any additional comments or questions, you may contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you.

Please take a moment to complete the City of Plano Customer Satisfaction Survey.

Thank you,

Parks & Recreation
Laura Sanders
Sr. Administrative Assistant

1409 K Avenue
Plano, Texas 75074
T 972.941.7263
F 972.941.7118
[email protected]
plano.gov

Well, here you go Martin. Make a copy of this and take it with you next time you want to hunt in Plano !!! Sorry Tom, had to do it.
Mr. Sparks,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our view on using metal detectors are pretty much exactly as you describe in your own practice of Leave No Trace. Use of metal detectors is allowed, users should leave behind no damage to park property. Digging of deep or large holes is not allowed, but scratching the surface or using a small trowel to turn up a divot is permissible as long as the divot is replaced. We appreciate your efforts to leave the parks better than you found them. If you have any additional comments or questions, you may contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you.

Please take a moment to complete the City of Plano Customer Satisfaction Survey.

Thank you,

Parks & Recreation
Laura Sanders
Sr. Administrative Assistant

1409 K Avenue
Plano, Texas 75074
T 972.941.7263
F 972.941.7118
[email protected]
plano.gov

make sure to have extra copies of this permission email. you'll need several next time the cops come to harrass you.

and give the cop one extra for the person that called aainst you, so the cop can hand deliver this persons next wad of toilet paper. cuz thats exactly what i would tell that person to do with it :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom