Love, Hate Relationship with E-trac

CalReg

Forum Supporter
I am looking at buying a used E-trac. I have a couple of other detectors that work well for what I bought them for (Tarsacci for beaches and areas with highly mineralized ground, and the Simplex for parks).With the E-trac I am looking to set up a custom program to locate silver coins. As I get older, it's not really realistic for me to dig up everything (my back starts to act up), and being in the state of California, if you MD at a site with any foot traffic and they see a shovel, you are likely to run into some resistance. However, with that said, there are people who absolutely love it and those that feel the opposite. What is your opinion?

Last edited:
The Etrac still remains one of the best coin shooting machines on the market IMHO.

If you get one, do a search for Bill’s Trashy Park program. This pattern would be perfect for what you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother runs one and loves it. He finds plenty of silver, mostly old silver, barbers, mercs etc. It's where we hunt. He set his up with wireless headphones and does well.

Make sure you swing it before buying to test for physical comfort. Its on the heavy side, and not well balanced IMHO.

I am looking at buying a used E-trac. I have a couple of other detectors that work well for what I bought them for (Tarsacci for beaches and areas with highly mineralized ground, and the Simplex for parks).With the E-trac I am looking to set up a custom program to locate silver coins. As I get older, it's not really realistic for me to dig up everything (my back starts to act up), and being in the state of California, if you MD at a site with any foot traffic and they see a shovel, you are likely to run into some resistance. However, with that said, there are people who absolutely love it and those that feel the opposite. What is your opinion?

This guy in California uses an E-trac. He seems to be doing OK.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?u=14857

Coming from an AT Pro I had a love hate relationship with my Etrac until I started to understand it a little. After that my coin count went way up and my junk digging down. It still is the Cadillac of machines IMO. Just a little too heavy. Mine has sat since I got the Equinox and was thinking of selling it. Good luck, Mark

He certainly has done well! If I can have a fraction of his success, I'd be happy!

I came from an AT Pro to an Etrac. I was like you, if I could get a fraction of what I saw other Etrac owners getting I'd be happy.

2 1/2 years with the AT Pro I found about 20 silver coins. My first year with the Etrac I found 50 silver coins. The majority of those were from "hunter out" parks.

I've found over 1300 silver coins with my E-Trac, and that was with taking a few years off from the hobby. It is an excellent machine, but you have a steep learning curve and as I said in a previous post, consider the weight/balance issues before buying.

I've found over 1300 silver coins with my E-Trac, and that was with taking a few years off from the hobby. It is an excellent machine, but you have a steep learning curve and as I said in a previous post, consider the weight/balance issues before buying.

I'm glad I don't live in your area. :lol:

It is an amazing machine, but it can take a while to "click" with it. I absolutely love mine, but I still get better with it every time I take it out, and this is my third season with it. It does have a steep learning curve. Once you get a feel for it, however, it is tough to deny its place as a legend. I regularly pull silvers out of pounded parks that are being masked by multiple pieces of iron in the same hole.

Back
Top Bottom