Nokta Impact information

Thanks to the great info in this thread and the YouTube videos I seen I pulled the trigger on the Pro pack, should get it in a couple of days and looking forward to getting out with it.

Thanks to the great info in this thread and the YouTube videos I seen I pulled the trigger on the Pro pack, should get it in a couple of days and looking forward to getting out with it.

Congrats on your purchase.
Will be watching to see your thoughts, and finds too.

Well my Impact arrived today and I took it out for a spin tonight at my go to beach where I'm always assured of finding at least coins. I was more focused on getting used to the machine and trying the different modes and listening to tones than actually hunting so my haul was pretty slim.

I mostly used the COG setting, ground balanced, didn't really change much else and it was very quiet on the wet sand.

Based on coming from the AT Pro these are my quick observations.

• The straight shaft - Love it, the extra weight (400 grams / 0.8lbs) is not an issue as it's so well balanced and no flexing at all. I like the camlocks as well.
  • Back light - Extremely useful for me as most of my hunting is a night as it's too hot during the day. I have some LED's jury rigged to my AT Pro for this purpose.
  • Build - It's a solid machine, seems well built and sturdy.
  • Stock headphones - I tried them for a few minutes to see what they are like, the tones come through loud and clear but the cable is flimsy and I don't know how long they would last under heavy use. I use a tiny bluetooth transmitter with earbuds on my AT Pro as headphones are too hot, even at night. A quick comparison seems to confirm that it works just as good on the Impact as the headphones with no discernible lag (For me anyway)
  • Depth - Seems to be a bit deeper than the AT Pro, at least I dug some holes that were deeper than I would normally dig with the AT Pro
  • Pinpoint - Fast and very accurate, when it's over the target you will know about it! I know some don't pinpoint and some do, I pinpoint almost always on the AT Pro and I have to say the Impact is better in this respect.

Things I noticed.
  • The hole where the coil cable enters the lower shaft - There's a hollow beneath it where just enough water can collect so if you raise the coil above the level of the control box or lay it down wrongly it will run straight up there and likely cause problems - Yes, I know it's not a waterproof machine but the coil is advertised as being waterproof so it's going to be in the water. How about in future versions of the lower shaft just have that hollow filled in up to the level of the hole for the coil cable? Can't be too hard to do. Anyway, I will figure out a way to fill in that hollow with something (Drilling drainage holes will affect the integrity of the shaft and will just get blocked anyway so that's a no go)
  • The retractable cable - I'm not sure what materials are used to enable this to work but I did think about failure. As it's under constant stress is it likely to weaken over time? Is it better to loosen the shaft after use to take the strain off it? I don't know

Just some initial observations and all in all I am impressed with this machine, now I just have to learn another language which is part of the fun!

Great post! I have yet to get to the beach here in CT. This weekend for sure.
The flexible cable is very durable. No worries on that at all. It can stretch more than you will ever need it to. How did COG mode work for you? I can't wait to salt water test this machine....

BTW I drilled a drain hole in my bottom shaft after I noticed it was filled with fresh water after hunting....

Great post! I have yet to get to the beach here in CT. This weekend for sure.
The flexible cable is very durable. No worries on that at all. It can stretch more than you will ever need it to. How did COG mode work for you? I can't wait to salt water test this machine....

BTW I drilled a drain hole in my bottom shaft after I noticed it was filled with fresh water after hunting....

Did you make it to the beach?

Did you make it to the beach?

When I first got it, I took it to a salt water beach on the low tide wet sandbars and buried penny, nickel, dime, and quarter at 6" inches. All coins were hit easily. I then buried them at 8"-9" and all coins were hit easily. I don't remember if they VDI'd at those depths but I never use VDI when hunting low tides. If it beeps, I did it.

The beach I hunt has black sand so it is even more challenging. At times, the detector got a little chatty and then it became stable again.

I have many more hours on the machine so I now know how to adjust the machine to get it non chatty by lowering the sensitively, frequency shift, raising the discrimination, etc.

I once brought a Racer 2 down it and it ran so quiet and it hit coins 8" or so.

I don't plan on using the Impact on wet sand since I have a Minelab CTX and Whites Surfmaster Dual Field to use. I do plan on using it on dry sand occasionally.

When I first got it, I took it to a salt water beach on the low tide wet sandbars and buried penny, nickel, dime, and quarter at 6" inches. All coins were hit easily. I then buried them at 8"-9" and all coins were hit easily. I don't remember if they VDI'd at those depths but I never use VDI when hunting low tides. If it beeps, I did it.

The beach I hunt has black sand so it is even more challenging. At times, the detector got a little chatty and then it became stable again.

I have many more hours on the machine so I now know how to adjust the machine to get it non chatty by lowering the sensitively, frequency shift, raising the discrimination, etc.

I don't plan on using the Impact on wet sand since I have a Minelab CTX and Whites Surfmaster Dual Field to use. I do plan on using it on dry sand occasionally.

Alright Charly, thanks for sharing.

Charly , I'm curious as to depth using the three separate frequencies. Have you noticed increased depth at 5Kz vs 20Kz ? Also would you say the R2 is more stable at the beach or about the same as the Impact ?

Charly , I'm curious as to depth using the three separate frequencies. Have you noticed increased depth at 5Kz vs 20Kz ? Also would you say the R2 is more stable at the beach or about the same as the Impact ?

I only had the racer for a week when the Impact came out so I sold it. My only test with the Racer 2 blew me away on how stable it was at my beach.

The Impact ground balanced to silence but after 5 minutes I was getting some false signals. They were not strong but annoying and it wasn't constant. I dig all beeps, so every false beep slowed me down it would disappear when I try to pinpoint.

I have a lot more experience since the test was done in my first week of ownership. I probably be able to get it to run quiet.

As for frequencies, I don't remember which one I used. In my everyday use I have been using 5Kz. Since I am looking for gold at the beach I probably was using 20Kz.

Let me know when you come down (we had communicated on Friendly). If I am not in Rhode Island maybe I'll meet you. I have a pass to get into the beach in Bridgeport. If you know where to park, Milford has beaches you can access.

Charlie
It would be wonderful to hook up with you and share an explore. I will PM you, OK?

Would be nice to hear how 2 Impacts work and play together.

I have to stay away from a CTX about 15 to 20 feet on the default frequency. I was able to change it and get closer but I never did any additional analysis to see how close I can get.

Today I was hunting next to an AT pro and was within 20 feet with no issues.

I have to stay away from a CTX about 15 to 20 feet on the default frequency. I was able to change it and get closer but I never did any additional analysis to see how close I can get.

Today I was hunting next to an AT pro and was within 20 feet with no issues.

Noticed the same thing with my buddy with his CTX. I got some minor EMI from him but I shifted frequencies (shift) and he disappeared....

Noticed the same thing with my buddy with his CTX. I got some minor EMI from him but I shifted frequencies (shift) and he disappeared....

Good practice.
Is if you decide which frequency on Impact or any other more typical vlf detector really you plan on using mostly to detect,, to select your frequency, get about 10ft away from Minelab fbs/fbs2 user, then let the Minelabbers do a noise cancel procedure.

Good practice.
Is if you decide which frequency on Impact or any other more typical vlf detector really you plan on using mostly to detect,, to select your frequency, get about 10ft away from Minelab fbs/fbs2 user, then let the Minelabbers do a noise cancel procedure.

Good advice right here. Puts the task on the FBS user to find a Freq that does not clash with the Impact. I had to do this when my son ran the Impact next to me with the CTX

Would like to see Makro/Nokta and other manufacturers persue a similar function on future detector products. (Noise cancel function by scanning for noise picking cleanest channel/frequency)
Really helps out, saves time, and IMO elimates guesswork.

Don't know how patents here apply.
Minelab uses on some of their Vlf models and GPX pulse and I think GPZ model.
Garrett uses on their ATX PI model.

Back
Top Bottom