jar with bumps all over it

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Was metal detecting...for all the good that did me. Found this jar over the bank where the people would have been throwing their trash, though this was not buried, it was on top of the ground. It has bumps all over it. I was thinking small pickle jar, it's just only about a half pint. Googled it to no avail. It is not round, rather, four sided. No writing on it. The bottom has an off center round mark but no writing. After cleaning it, it seems to have a light green color. Hoping someone recognizes it.

Attachments

• DSC00335.JPG
    DSC00335.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC00338.JPG
    DSC00338.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 443
Search improved when I learned the "bump" design is called hobnail. Found one site that showed similar jars as part of a Hooser food storage set. Research says the offset mark on the bottom is called a pontiel scar. I'm still not sure and no idea of the date.

Could be.. It looks like an embossed jelly jar.. not sure which manufacturer

Thank you Pan4Au and WVDave! I will google hobnail jelly jar!

That's way past the pontil era (1850-1870s) era, most likely as others said, 1920s to 30s and some type of jelly or food. It is rather crudely made though with that offset on the bottom. The bumpy design was merely to give it a distinctive look on the grocery store shelf (common practice in those days). I have probably seen these in some of my previous digs but I didn't keep any.

Thank you Glasshopper. To me, 1920's or 30's is good. Don't run across a lot of older ones so I'm not particular. Will put it up on a shelves with other "old" bottles.

This thought just popped into my head.

Maybe a milk bottle for nursing calves? The bumps would help you get a better grip as the calves start to tug hard. Not sure what else they would have used before the plastic bottles were made.

This thought just popped into my head.

Maybe a milk bottle for nursing calves? The bumps would help you get a better grip as the calves start to tug hard. Not sure what else they would have used before the plastic bottles were made.

very possible. it was found on a farm dump.

Bottles and jars that held caustic materials and poisons were made with "Bumps" so blind people would be able to identify them. You may have one
e of those.

Back
Top Bottom