New ctx 3030 user help!

sarrahbrianne

hi I'm sarrah from Ohio! I've watched tons of YouTube e and read Andy's book but having huge problems with pinpointing my target and the holes. anyone that can help please! I'm using fc combined fast recovery on rec deep on and normal .. using sizing. I've been trying wiggle back and turning at 90 .. what am I missing. thought I had a handle today but obviously not!!!

Welcome from Kansas and Antiques Detectors. If you are having issues pin pointing try this. Swing over the target until you just lose the signal. Your target will be at the edge of your coil. That being said, if you get the "red ball" on the screen your target should be right under where the coil connects to the shaft.

Many people use a "pinpointer" to locate targets after getting a fairly close reading from the searchcoil. A pinpointer is basically a tiny metal detector that fits entirely into the hand. You cah get more expensive ones, like the Garret "carrot" or the cheapie versions like the Harbor Freight handheld one, but basically their range is very small, so that when they pick up the signal from the object, it's generally within a few inches or even centimeters of the pinpointer's probe.

For those new to metal detecting, a difficulty with pinpointing an object with a searchcoil is the possibility that *two* metallic items are closer together and thus giving a confusing signal. That can sometimes be eliminated by the 90 degree repetition of the sweep. Also, sometimes, just turning sensitivity up or down can help, or adjusting the discrimination. Keep at it. You'll work it out. :)
Sage(DANG Where IS it?!)Grouse

using sizing. !

You might find that normal mode works better for you than sizing. Normal mode will ratchet down the location of the target with each sweep, making zeroing in on it much quicker.

I use normal mode. Couple of sweeps to find the center, then turn 90 degrees and do the same thing.

Have you tried just putting a coin on the ground and watching how the 3030 pinpoints? Seeing where the coin actually is in relation to your coil when wiggling the coil or pinpointing helped me when I was learning the ctx.

If the target is at a shallow depth or on the surface, you will get that triple beep when swinging over it. You can lift the coil 6 inches from the ground and swing over it to get a single beep. Then turn 90 degrees and do again to X the target. You can also use a hand held pin pointer to help locate the target. As for the pin pointer function on the ctx, I very seldom use it. I can quickly X the target and find it. With some practice, you will just know where the target is.

If the target is at a shallow depth or on the surface, you will get that triple beep when swinging over it.

I LOVE that triple beep cause it means I’m not digging much to retrieve that target. I discovered this phenomenon one day while checking nickels in the living room with my ATPro. They say the field of a double d coil is right down the center which is true, but there must be a shallower field emanating from the coil’s edges too because those extra beeps always coincide with the edges of the coil passing over the target.

You might find that normal mode works better for you than sizing. Normal mode will ratchet down the location of the target with each sweep, making zeroing in on it much quicker.

I use normal mode. Couple of sweeps to find the center, then turn 90 degrees and do the same thing.

Yes, what Rattlehead has said and use target trace while you're at it. Good luck and many finds..... sizing helped when trying to determine iron , iron targets will move around when pinpointing more noticeably when using sizing.

... having huge problems with pinpointing my target and the holes. anyone that can help please! ...

Sarrah, everyone here is trying to answer your questions in printed text (Go figure: It's a printed text forum). And Andy's book is in printed text (Go figure , it's a book). Yet the machine you are trying to master works on AUDIO SOUNDS. And all the questions you are asking : Invariably involve audio sound.

Hence it will nearly impossible for anyone to answer your questions in printed text. It would be like asking someone to "Describe the sound of C major in printed text". It can't be done. It can only be heard.

And also visually seeing "the correct way" is important too. So you can see how someone is trying to isolate a certain sound, in the way they move the coil, x-marks criss cross, etc.. And likewise: The signals they'd elect to pass.

None of that can be done in printed text. The best way is to hook up with someone proficient, and trade off flagged signals to compare. Watch the way they swing. Watch the signals they elect to pursue, vs. those they elect to pass. Ask "why?", etc...

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM , 15 yrs. ago, when I tried to go from Whites to Minelab Exp. II (which is similar in sounds to your CTX) : I was pulling my hair out because "everything sounded the same" and "pinpointing was a bear" and "I couldn't tell deep vs shallow", blah blah blah.

Yet on the OTHER hand, I was getting spanked when hunting side by side with Exp. II users. Yet when taking it out to learn, I was totally disgusted. So I made an appointment to meet up with a CA pro. After trading off the 4th or 5th signal (and conversely seeing what he was electing to pass), and seeing how he swung, isolated, etc... (him pulling out his headphone jack to show me), THEN the "lights went on". From then on I was a bird-dog on a scent :)

And when/if you find someone to show you the ropes, find someone who is genuinely bringing in the goodies. (Ie.: not just a sandbox hunter). Preferably someone getting oldies from park turf (where a little cherry-picking and sound-evaluating is in order). Versus a relic hunter who is simply going to "dig all" anyhow.

thanks so much everyone I will try all these ways! I've been having a hard time.finding anyone in my area to hunt as I am. better learner in person. I signed up to go to Andy's class but it isn't until late April so I will try all these ways so I continue to try at getting better !

Many people use a "pinpointer" to locate targets after getting a fairly close reading from the searchcoil. A pinpointer is basically a tiny metal detector that fits entirely into the hand. You cah get more expensive ones, like the Garret "carrot" or the cheapie versions like the Harbor Freight handheld one, but basically their range is very small, so that when they pick up the signal from the object, it's generally within a few inches or even centimeters of the pinpointer's probe.

For those new to metal detecting, a difficulty with pinpointing an object with a searchcoil is the possibility that *two* metallic items are closer together and thus giving a confusing signal. That can sometimes be eliminated by the 90 degree repetition of the sweep. Also, sometimes, just turning sensitivity up or down can help, or adjusting the discrimination. Keep at it. You'll work it out. :)
Sage(DANG Where IS it?!)Grouse

That's me to. I have problems using the coil to pinpoint so i use my hand pinpointer. But i'm not sure how deep my mine lab pro 35 will go

Your best advice was to put a coin on the ground and just try. The CTX is excellent at pin pointing. Hold down the trigger button, sweep sweep, beep beep, watch the red ball, targets dead center. It's really just practice. Trust me, just practice. Do watch you tubes on CTX pin pointing. It's gotta help. Using your hand held, will, I'm sure make you either miss deeper targets or get frustrated because it won't pick them up. You are holding in the handle push button right. Holding it till you center the target?

Your best advice was to put a coin on the ground and just try. The CTX is excellent at pin pointing. Hold down the trigger button, sweep sweep, beep beep, watch the red ball, targets dead center. It's really just practice. Trust me, just practice. Do watch you tubes on CTX pin pointing. It's gotta help. Using your hand held, will, I'm sure make you either miss deeper targets or get frustrated because it won't pick them up. You are holding in the handle push button right. Holding it till you center the target?

I obviously misspoke, thinking of another machine. Pin point is click on click off. Just goes to show ya, practice, it will become so instinctive you don't even remember how ya do it, you just do.

I obviously misspoke, thinking of another machine. Pin point is click on click off. Just goes to show ya, practice, it will become so instinctive you don't even remember how ya do it, you just do.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, flyguy. You were right on both counts. Pinpoint button can be toggle on/off or momentary on/off per the setting in the menu.

Back
Top Bottom