Will This Hobby Come To An End?

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
With more people paying with debit cards and cell phones there will be less cash in their pockets. That means fewer coins will be dropped. That means less finds for coin shooters. We don't all have access to older sites or beaches but we like to get out and enjoy the hobby.

Yes with less coins being minted and carried it will mean less to be found. However people still wear rings and jewelry so it may mean a shift towards that spectrum for metal detectors. Over the years I have collected a jar full of rings mostly silver ones as gold blends in too well with junk items.

Might get to where seeded hunts will be really popular :lol:

Also, reminded me of this comic of a detectorist's nightmare :laughing::laughing::laughing:
scarydreamspw.jpg

I don’t think that we have anything to worry about in our lifetimes. Some even toss a few pennies for the next generation of detectorists. I do believe the hobby is more popular than ever before so the competition for spots is fierce. This makes you get more creative with researching sites though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hobby does kind of have an end built into it , but luckily that is still a long way off. Once all the old coins and stuff worth finding are so badly depleted and modern coins are no longer used or just not worth anything , there wont be much incentive left for people to get into doing this. There is still gold and jewelry of course , but those are few and far between , not to mention being so much harder to identify , so unappealing to many. There will be a point sometime in the future when consumer interest is no longer sufficient to support hobby detector manufacturing. The remaining few who still pursue this with antique detectors will keep chugging along until their generation has passed and we will all just be a obscure footnote in history. Plenty of time left before that happens though.

Yes with less coins being minted and carried it will mean less to be found. However people still wear rings and jewelry so it may mean a shift towards that spectrum for metal detectors. Over the years I have collected a jar full of rings mostly silver ones as gold blends in too well with junk items.

I always hunted after Art In The Park craft shows but now the vendors put down tarps. Private property will soon be the only option. The parks in my area gave up 2 rosies in 4 years, and that includes hunting after the 2 week county fair. I do much better at the coinstar machines, 7 silver dimes and 3 silver quarters last year.

In my heavily hunted and limited sites I'm hopeful new detectors will get at a few more of the masked and deep targets.

It is a fun hobby but the challenges are great also. Each year more land is developed and paved over....not sure if will end or just slowly fade away .

I always hunted after Art In The Park craft shows but now the vendors put down tarps. Private property will soon be the only option. The parks in my area gave up 2 rosies in 4 years, and that includes hunting after the 2 week county fair. I do much better at the coinstar machines, 7 silver dimes and 3 silver quarters last year.

Our parks been hammered year round since the '70's. In 8 years I only found 4 silver dimes. Luckily they wont ever quit wearing jewelry. Women have to wear it and most want their husbands wearing that ring too. I know one of my friends wives is paranoid. That's why he lost 5 wedding bands surfing.:shock: I do know the parks I used to find tons of quarters at don't replenish. Too easy to hand a card. The beach though you still carry some cash. Only down side is I don't like seeing the ice cream and such rounded to the whole dollar with tax included. Less change. A lot of kids baseball grounds are the same way.

Our parks been hammered year round since the '70's. In 8 years I only found 4 silver dimes. Luckily they wont ever quit wearing jewelry. Women have to wear it and most want their husbands wearing that ring too. I know one of my friends wives is paranoid. That's why he lost 5 wedding bands surfing.:shock: I do know the parks I used to find tons of quarters at don't replenish. Too easy to hand a card. The beach though you still carry some cash. Only down side is I don't like seeing the ice cream and such rounded to the whole dollar with tax included. Less change. A lot of kids baseball grounds are the same way.

I just pulled out 2 mercury dimes on friday in Jax. My post in under the Coin shooter page. There out there just not in the popular parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still out there. When I got back in about ten years ago they told me there was nothing left. I pulled hundreds of silvers and old coins out of just a half-dozen parks in the area. I still find them, just have to work a bit harder.

As far as clad goes, sure it's going to dry up.

..Clad is the canary in the coalmine. I read a financial article last week about Switzerland or Sweden one, almost impossible to find a store that will take money anymore...nearly all transactions are electronic...

Luckily..theres all sorts of different subset skills in this Sport...so for a mega cladder, wiping out an area, can switch to something else pretty seamlessly...After everything Man dropped is wiped out, Natural metallic nuggets and meteorites will be the final frontier that should hold for a while...

Theoretically the Sport will never come to an end, but realistically it will in certain areas and for certain targets....mega cladders are seeing record low reseed results....time to switch over or move!

It may dry up for those too afraid to go out and look for it. I rarely hunt parks, or any public grounds if I can help it. Not worth it most of the time. Not only are people not carrying or using cash and change, they're not going to the parks to begin with. They're hiding in their homes with their devices stuck to their zombie faces. No competition really when it comes to knocking doors and scoring private permissions by actually talking to people... GASP! Get out there, talk to old people, think outside the box and there will be plenty of great digs.

Sure there are new people detecting, always are. I'd be willing to bet that the number of hardcore hunters in a given area stays pretty constant.

The lack of coinage in parks is a deterrent for the old "I'm gonna buy a Bounty Hunter for $75, grab my spade shovel and get rich" crowd. Which is fine.

If someone is willing to put in the research, talk to others and step a little outside that warm and fuzzy little world of theirs, this will continue to be the best hobby around.

Im working on a program for my CTX that will hit on the magnetic strip on a credit card ....:detector:

I suspect that what will happen is that detectorist will change focus. Right now a quarter is barely worth the effort unless you're in a spot that gives up a ton of them. Jewelry in tot lots, beaches and such will be the focus for your average hunter with only serious hunters with expensive machines trying to pull out the deep, masked old silver or relics that haven't been found over the years. It will be interesting to see what happens with the those hunters. I'll keep plodding along digging modern stuff from my local parks.

BCD

When I started detecting I used to replace my find with a penny. Back then they were wheat cents. There should be some of them still out there.

Nope, just keep following me around. Ill be dropping clad till the day I die. Don't even have a credit card

Blasphemer!! Coming in here all "living within your means" and "not buying junk you don't need on credit to impress the neighbors". How Unamerican!:D

Right! complete BS! I bet the last penny this guy lost fell out of his Loafers in 1977 maybe, or the worse financial decision he ever made was taking out a student loan ! :laughing: Old guys who pay cash simply do NOT lose anything worthwhile!

Right! complete BS! I bet the last penny this guy lost fell out of his Loafers in 1977 maybe, or the worse financial decision he ever made was taking out a student loan ! :laughing: Old guys who pay cash simply do NOT lose anything worthwhile!

Funny thing is I am only 30. Never took on student loans either. I'm an anomaly for my generation. born 50 to 100 years too late haha.

Back
Top Bottom