Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 12-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Handle type preference - shovels.

Hey y'all. I've yet to buy a metal detector shovel. I'm carrying (dragging) long-handled shovels when I go. Typical big/wide garden shovels.

I've seen some of the shovels discussed in recent threads like Root Assassin and Root Slayer, the Lesche and Predator shovels, etc. Some have T-handles, some a big loop, and some small nub.

What's your preference and why?

I like the idea of a T-handle but I can imagine a loop would be handy for gripping at all angles. I think I've seen an accessory that can hold a T-handled shovel to a belt for dragging...

Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

Tee handle, Sampson, 31"! Nuff said.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Lesche Sampson 31" with a T handle. I've tried others and when it comes to digging a lot of holes, whether its detecting or bottle digging, the T handle is my favorite by a mile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

A "D" or a "T" handle. More control and easier to dig.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 PM

Cool. A T-handle goes on my Christmas list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by k2gleaner View post
Cool. A T-handle goes on my Christmas list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes the T. Let me add, I have the Lesche Sampson 31" T and the 18" Mini Sampson . The 18" is the greatest because being seen dragging shovels is what can lead to " No Metal Detecting" signs going up. People will argue because alot of guys have bad knees but its a worry non the less. The 18" can be held in a matter that is relatively unseen. As you go down to one knee you push into the ground with your upper body, you have to go down there anyway to retrieve your target. All that aside I love both. 31" and 1 8" Sampsons. I can cut a nice plug and replace it with either with ease. I can just cut a V shape trap door into the sod and retrieve the target easily with these spades. I'm referring to doing parks or schools where shovels could cause negative thoughts from onlookers. the 18" is Stelthier . I never go detecting without the Original Lesche red handeled knife.
Have fun and good luck. I know, you were only asking about the T handel and I added my 2 cents.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

I second the t-handle 18 mini Sampson. I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk