Third pin pointer

Theo112

I’ve gone through two Garrett Pro Pointers over the last couple of years. It’s time for another one, but I’m torn between the Garrett Carrot and the Minelab Pro-Find 35. Does anyone have both and prefer one over the other? I really like the Pro Pointer, they just don’t last me very long.

I have had my Propointer for a number of years now without any problems other than replacing the battery once in a while. I got another one like new in a trade but I have never had to use it yet. My first one just keeps working.

Although the black Garrett pinpointer was revolutionary in design it was engineered like junk. The amount of problems that people had with them is astounding in numbers. Oh I know the posts will follow that state they never had problems with theirs. I have been down this road before with the Garrett pinpointer argument. The good news is there are plenty to choose from now out there. Everyone has their favorite. Read reviews and make a choice. Me I like the TRX myself. But then again I never tried most of the other ones.

I been using a cen tech for years. Just passed it down to my dad for some fathers day gear for his new detector. I'm in the market for a new one too.

I have both. I’ve tried a bunch of different pinpointers and while they’ve all been pretty good, I find that I usually end up reaching for my trusty old Garrett Carrot. Been using it for years without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Minelab Profind25 (the old minelab pinpointer) since August 2016 and I'm yet to have any problems with it. So if the profind35 is of the same quality, then it should last you a while :)

I’ve gone through two Garrett Pro Pointers over the last couple of years. It’s time for another one, but I’m torn between the Garrett Carrot and the Minelab Pro-Find 35. Does anyone have both and prefer one over the other? I really like the Pro Pointer, they just don’t last me very long.

I would buy another and expect a different result this time :lol:

Seriously, no more Garretts for me. When this last one (the one I sent in for warranty repair, and got it back with the exact same issue) takes a dump, I'll buy a different brand, or go back to just not using one, got along just fine without one.

I have found no ideal pin pointer but the Sun Ray is probably my favorite because of the target identification capability. I find the black Garrett to be a little lacking in depth and the Trx having too much so that it really doesn't pinpoint--you know you are near the target but not exactly where it is. The Sun Ray requires motion but that's not too bad. I would like a unit that only pin points straight out with about 3" of depth, ( the side stuff is not "pointing"), not tethered to the machine, provide tone id like the Sun Ray and if it has a multitude of settings, I would like an indication of it's present position. All this and make it cheap and water proof! I'll be waiting. May be a while.

Both work great. I never use my P/P as a digging tool, so at 2-1/2 years old, my carrot still looks great and works without any issues. The orange really sticks out and since I often hunt at night, its easier to find if/when you happen to drop it.
Also, I'm an 80's kid. Everytime I see the carrot, I start singing this in my head --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6mPYFtF8E

Attachments

• general-lee-jump-dukes-of-hazzard.jpg
    general-lee-jump-dukes-of-hazzard.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 544
I have found no ideal pin pointer but the Sun Ray is probably my favorite because of the target identification capability. I find the black Garrett to be a little lacking in depth and the Trx having too much so that it really doesn't pinpoint--you know you are near the target but not exactly where it is. The Sun Ray requires motion but that's not too bad. I would like a unit that only pin points straight out with about 3" of depth, ( the side stuff is not "pointing"), not tethered to the machine, provide tone id like the Sun Ray and if it has a multitude of settings, I would like an indication of it's present position. All this and make it cheap and water proof! I'll be waiting. May be a while.

The TRX sensitivity can be ratcheted down. The owners manual does a lousy job of explaining how to use the pinpointer. I am lucky to have a brick and mortar detecting store nearby and was able to try them all in the store. I have abused my TRX for over a year now with no problems. My only complaint is the worthless owners manual

The TRX sensitivity can be ratcheted down. The owners manual does a lousy job of explaining how to use the pinpointer. I am lucky to have a brick and mortar detecting store nearby and was able to try them all in the store. I have abused my TRX for over a year now with no problems. My only complaint is the worthless owners manual

You are right but I can never remember the sequence of beeps which I also have a hard time hearing. I know nothing about the technology involved but a dial with the current setting and a simple rotating adjustment would be a vast improvement. I also get frustrated by the fact that they don't really point but essentially give you an area of possibility in the shape of half of a softball. At least the Sun Ray only sees the target when you move directly over it.

I would buy another and expect a different result this time :lol:

Seriously, no more Garretts for me. When this last one (the one I sent in for warranty repair, and got it back with the exact same issue) takes a dump, I'll buy a different brand, or go back to just not using one, got along just fine without one.

This.

It's great that they have such great customer service on warranty repairs but you know what? I'd rather just buy a product that doesn't need to be repaired/replace. Literally every single Garrett product i've ever owned, has been repaired/replaced under warranty. My current carrot still works but once it dies, i'm done with them.

If I didn't lose my whites trx, i'd probably still use that. The Minelab is good too.

You may want to also consider the Fisher F-Pulse.

It's a PI pin pointer rather than a VLF.

I love mine so far and prefer it to the Garrett.

I have tried them all and the TRX is my choice but it is weak in one thing that is the volume of its tones. This is where the old carrott shines with its nice loud report that can be heard when you are working near traffic and that noise cancels out what ever is coming from your pin pointer. The vibrate is the only thing that seems to keep me going in that scenario.

I have tried them all and the TRX is my choice but it is weak in one thing that is the volume of its tones. This is where the old carrott shines with its nice loud report that can be heard when you are working near traffic and that noise cancels out what ever is coming from your pin pointer. The vibrate is the only thing that seems to keep me going in that scenario.

Which is great, as long as it does all those things when it's supposed to .

I must be the only one who uses the Nokta.

Honestly, put them all side by side and the beefy construction of the Nokta is apparent.

Thanks for all the input y’all. I went with the Pro Find 35. I was finally able to use it for the first time time today. My only gripe is that the speaker is directly opposite where the power switch is located. So this means that whether you’re right or left handed, when you power this thing on, there’s a good chance you’re going to cover the speaker with a finger when you go to use it. I’m using a pair of wireless Beats headphones with my Nox, and they do a really good job at blocking ambient noise. Which made it difficult at times to hear the pin pointer. I still managed okay. As the speaker is quite loud, just placed in a horrible locattion. Just my ¢2.

I bought the new Garrett Z-Lynk pin pointer. How disappointing. It would sometimes pair, sometimes not. It would jump in and out of pairing while recovering the target. Sometimes it would just go into vibrate mode randomly. So I returned it and got another. Worked well for a couple days, now it’s behaving the same. I’m also on my forth WT-1 transmitter. Bought an AT-Max in. March and the coil was bad. Had to return that. My ATPro faceplate started separating from the detector right in the middle of the display, so I had to get a new one. My original black pinpointer button went bad within the first year. Sadly, I think the quality of Garrett products is at an all time low. It’s a good thing they have great service, because you’re sure going to need it.

By the way, I’m back to swinging a Vaquero. At least that works well 100% of the time.

I bought the new Garrett Z-Lynk pin pointer. How disappointing. It would sometimes pair, sometimes not. It would jump in and out of pairing while recovering the target. Sometimes it would just go into vibrate mode randomly. So I returned it and got another. Worked well for a couple days, now it’s behaving the same. I’m also on my forth WT-1 transmitter. Bought an AT-Max in. March and the coil was bad. Had to return that. My ATPro faceplate started separating from the detector right in the middle of the display, so I had to get a new one. My original black pinpointer button went bad within the first year. Sadly, I think the quality of Garrett products is at an all time low. It’s a good thing they have great service, because you’re sure going to need it.

By the way, I’m back to swinging a Vaquero. At least that works well 100% of the time.

And look what you could have bought if you'd have added all that return postage costs to the initial purchase ;)

Well, if you went "back" to a Vaquero, it shows you're learning :p

Back
Top Bottom