jonse beach permit info

Robm1093

Was thinking of get the permit but I jus seen the rules say you cant use a digging tool larger the 1.5 wide by 6" long .I think that would rule out my long handle Trex scoop. Can some one chime in on this? I don't see my self digging at the beach with my tiny garden shoveled. :?:

Was thinking of get the permit but I jus seen the rules say you cant use a digging tool larger the 1.5 wide by 6" long .I think that would rule out my long handle Trex scoop. Can some one chime in on this? I don't see my self digging at the beach with my tiny garden shoveled. :?:

You planning on digging in the water or on the beach. Looks like a STUPID rule. So a kid playing with a wide plastic sand shovel is illegal?

LOL, "Tools more than 1.5 inches wide and 6" long may NOT be used." So with the handle being 4" long you have a 1.5" wide 2" long shovel :laughing:

In Michigan NOBODY owns the water. Do they proclaim to own the water so far out? Your scoop should be legal in the water and up to the high water mark. BUT I do NOT know the legal laws in New York.

This is just an example of how I don't see why anyone sees "permits" as being a good thing. At first glance, "permits" sound like a wonderful thing, eh ? I mean, who could argue with an express allowance, eh ? It conjurs up images of being able to detect nilly willy carte-blanche, eh ?

But as your post shows: They are often riddled with silly rules. That make no sense. So it would be much better if there were no "permit", and it was simply silent on the subject. Neither expressly allowed or dis-allowed.

And as for your particular dilemma (the dimensions allowed for your sandscoop), I'll bet you dollars to donuts that no one is ever out there, armed with a ruler, measuring your sand scoop. If it were me, I'd simply go with whatever sandcoop I wanted. I bet you'd never run into anyone who's even aware of the 'permit' in the first place, nor cares less about the dimensions of the scoop. But that's just me :roll:

If someone came up , measured your sandscoop, and griped, take scuba-detector's advice on how to solve it: You stand there, glassy eyed, speaking gibberish, and wet your pants. I bet they walk away and leave you alone. Problem solved :laughing:

But seriously now: I bet no one's there that cares less about that, or even the permit itself. San Jose, CA, for example, that dreamed up "permits" decades ago. But if you ask around among club members no one can ever recall being "carded". One fellow I know even TRIED to get carded. He saw several park workers working on some fountain project in the park, with a few city trucks and workers. He worked circles around them for 30 minutes, wanting to see if he'd get carded. They paid him utterly no mind. So the "permit" is almost a joke in the first place.

.....And as for your particular dilemma (the dimensions allowed for your sandscoop), I'll bet you dollars to donuts that no one is ever out there, armed with a ruler, measuring your sand scoop. If it were me, I'd simply go with whatever sandcoop I wanted. I bet you'd.....

Somehow I don't think a ruler would be necessary to distinguish between a legal digging implement and a Stealth 720/920 at this place. :grin:

Any one from Long island want to chime in?

If you're looking like you belong there, nobody will bother you. Start digging holes, either beach or grass, and not fill them in, then you stick out like a sore thumb. Someone might challenge you and ask for your permit. Most of the time they ask if you had any luck. it's just a way for the municipality to make a buck. Nobody cares if you have a permit.
However, that one day you do not have a permit and they suddenly decide to start checking permits, now you have a problem. They might just ask you to stop or they might issue you a summons.

With the money being pumped into fixing up Jones Beach and the state parks, you can expect to see more pencil pushers out observing what's happening and that's when bad things start to happen to md'ers.
Don't have a permit, metal detect at your own risk.

If you're looking like you belong there, nobody will bother you. Start digging holes, either beach or grass, and not fill them in, then you stick out like a sore thumb. Someone might challenge you and ask for your permit. Most of the time they ask if you had any luck. it's just a way for the municipality to make a buck. Nobody cares if you have a permit.
However, that one day you do not have a permit and they suddenly decide to start checking permits, now you have a problem. They might just ask you to stop or they might issue you a summons.

With the money being pumped into fixing up Jones Beach and the state parks, you can expect to see more pencil pushers out observing what's happening and that's when bad things start to happen to md'ers.
Don't have a permit, metal detect at your own risk.

MY question is do they own the water so far out? Is a scoop in the water fair game? You could pull a boat up and anchor. Jump out are you actually in the park? In Michigan the water isn't owned by anyone. Some states like Florida have different rules.

I am from Long Island and routinely metal detect many different beaches. The NYS Parks are divided into several large regions which encompass the entire state with each region having numerous parks.

The NYS Metal Detecting Permit is a generic form which appears to be made for the entire system and customized with the name and address of the issuing regional office. Ocean and Long Island Sound beaches only "legally" allow detecting from the foot of the dune/bluff/boardwalk into the water. The form seems to be tailored for the entire state and appears to be in line with digging on hard packed soil, not sand. I believe the individual park supervisors are saddled with the form and just interpret it appropriately for their local situation.

See the form: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/attachments/2018MetalDetectorPermitApplication.pdf

Having a full sized scoop on the beach has never ever caused anyone I know a problem. And I always give a quick hello to the lifeguards if they aren't busy.

There were old posts here or on another forum that said Jones Beach prohibited detecting during the open swimming times forcing detectorists to go at sunrise etc. One detectorist who often went to that beach told me he never had those problems and always went to the quieter stretches between the main beaches on busy days. I can't verify wide-scale banning when the beaches are packed.

The salt water around the state is basically uncontrolled like elsewhere in the country. However a Bathing Beach is another matter. The beach supervisor and lifeguards are in control of a legally recognized swimming beach be it state or private.

The operator of the bathing beach shall be responsible for:
(b) controlling the decorum and activities at the bathing site;
https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/section-6-214-operator-responsibility

Title: Section 6-2.17 - Supervision--personnel and equipment
https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/section-6-217-supervision-personnel-and-equipment

Lots to read here. But almost all of it boils down to employing common sense. I've never had a problem with the bosses or lifeguards anywhere.

Steve from LI

This is why I just took my vacation in New Hampshire ( Live Free Or Die ) and spent ALL my dollars there and NOT in NY....No rules really over there...NY blows big time....need permits everywhere....screw this state.

Hunt Jones often as well as Robert Moses and smiths point no one has ever questioned the size of my scoop and its large LOL. stealth 920I

Thanks... What time do they stop collecting after 5pm?

.... The form seems to be tailored for the entire state and appears to be in line with digging on hard packed soil, not sand.....

Thanx for the evolution of how odd wording like that came to be. It's an obvious case of "no one cares" and "this wasn't the intent". Yet md'rs will find such verbiage, and fret themselves silly. Noble that we want to be law-abiding, but .... sometimes it's possible to over-think things.

There is no doubt verbiage and language everywhere, that .... if you stood on one foot, squinted real hard, and asked enough bored pencil pushers: That could be made to exclude us. But reality is often a different thing. I go by reality, not theoretical.

Hunt Jones often as well as Robert Moses and smiths point no one has ever questioned the size of my scoop and its large LOL. stealth 920I

..... Having a full sized scoop on the beach has never ever caused anyone I know a problem....

Even despite the wording on the permit. Just as I suspected.

not surprised that the reply here is yeah go ahead break the posted rules nobody will care...good luck.

I used to hang out at Rockaway beach.

But that was back in the 60's, hah!

I grew up going to Jones beach and Rockaway. I remember when Jones beach closed down because medical supplies were washing up on shore :shock: Now you couldn't pay me to go there.

LOL @ permit to metal detect. So stupid

Back
Top Bottom