First water hunts with my Nox800

Jason in Enid

Elite Member
OK, I feel a bit remiss... I have neglected to post about my hunts from the last 2 weeks! :no: Sometimes I get so caught up in posting it to social media I forget about posting it to the "detecting media" :lol:

Anyway....
So, I finally got my Equinox800 out to my local lake beach for a test spin.

-background-
I have been hunting this beach for 18 years. It was a secret garden of silver when I started. 5+ sterlings and handfulls of coins every hunt. over the years, finds dropped (as I hunted them out!). I never found gold until a severe drought lowered the lake, exposing the swimming area, then gold and more silver emerged, but eventually it got low on finds again. Now the lake has re-filled. Now I have a new detector to try to find some some tiny missed gold.

Last week-
I think there must be someone else hunting my beach because the dry sand was D E A D. A couple fresh drop coins and couple pieces of trash. Reluctantly I headed into the water, because I hadnt planned on it. I dont have waterproof phones yet. I decided it was worth the minimal risk in a few inches, maybe knee deep. It was night and day! I immediately began getting hits. Pulltab, pulltab, pulltab,
lake trash1.jpg

then coins... green and black crusty coins that you couldn't see anything of the actual target, just corroded sand cookies. Then rings (and more tabs). Very first ring was a 10K gold with a tiny stone chip in the center. Then black and crusty silver rings and some very crusty junkers.
lake coinsrings1.jpg
goldring.jpg

The most amazing part of this was that I never left a 10ft area!! I was just turning in circles digging targets! I've hunted this spot, hundreds of times. I hunted it underwater and when it was dry. This lake beach was damn near silent the last few times I visited. Crown caps? Every single cap I dug was with another target. Sometimes tabs, sometimes coins, sometimes rings. Every time I saw one in the scoop I though I had been fooled, but I always found something else with it.

My only problem has been what I THINK are lead balls, but its a guess.... I never got one to the surface. They hit solid with a 5 or 6, but are gone (with the sand) before I can get the scoop up. My guess is buckshot pellets, because 22 bullets are hitting like nickels (have dug many in the dirt) so this is likely something much smaller. Even though I know what probably is, its maddening to walk away from a solid target response.

Then I went back yesterday :shock:
Not only was it the same beach, it was the exact same patch I worked last week. Where the hell are all these targets coming from for one spot?!

junk2.jpg

Not all bad news, I did get 3 more silvers today (well, 2 and a 1/2 :D ) Theres a bunch more crusty coins in the pile as well, just not separated out yet.
Here are the 2 rings after a little cleaning. Also a teeny tiny junk ring I found in the scoop while going after another target. One of the junkers I dug last week actually had a silver top on a copper ring. And a crappy stainless POS. I wish people would buy REAL jewelry instead of this garbage.

rings2.jpg

I'm trying to find the local COE office to see if I can bring my 3 inch dredge for "voluntary trash remediation" :laughing: Seriously though, there is so much glass in the sand, its a wonder people arent getting cut up feet.

WoW! That is an amazing amount of targets, and hey, congrats on all the keepers too! What machine were you using before?

Congrats on the gold and silver. As others have already mentioned YIKES! thats a lot of targets and digging. Keep at it... there's more there hiding behind all that trash.

Congrads on the 10k, sure made all the effort worth while. And that is one trashy spot, a dredge would be cool to clean all the glass out. You will have to save the trash after a few hunts and show them..

.22's and the small crimp fishing lead shot both can hit a 6 here all day long. Think i dug about 100 in two outings:shock: And they fall through your scoop in a water hunt. You walk ashore and get p'oed after the first 15:lol::shock:

:dingding: Congrats on the gold and the Equinox working out for you so far!

That's a heck of alot from a 10 foot square area, nice job being so persistent!

Its crazy! Often get multiple targets in one scoop. I can't take a scoop then check the hole to see if I should dump or sift. I have to sift through every scoop. After the first couple, it gets very dense and heavy and difficult to work it through the scoop, but thats where some of the targets are.

I actually gave up at the end of the second day and started wandering looking for just high tones in search of silver. The never ending pulltabs are driving me nuts!

Its crazy! Often get multiple targets in one scoop. I can't take a scoop then check the hole to see if I should dump or sift. I have to sift through every scoop. After the first couple, it gets very dense and heavy and difficult to work it through the scoop, but thats where some of the targets are.

I actually gave up at the end of the second day and started wandering looking for just high tones in search of silver. The never ending pulltabs are driving me nuts!

I have beaches like that here. One with shotgun head stamps and the other bullet beach. I dig until I am tired of mid tones and then go only for high. Next time I go back I repeat.

Sooner or later you will get it all. Hopefully some higher karat gold with it!!

Very nice work at the lake :yes:.. You sure those other detectors were on when you hunted previously :) :roll: seriously crazy amount of targets.

:lol:

I'm not claiming that this is all because of the equinox, any detector should be bale to find most of these targets. I just don't understand why suddenly, after so many years of hunting, its all just RIGHT THERE. :?:

I would understand it if I was making these finds during the drought, after the wind had been ripping sand off the top for months. But I grid hunted this swim area when it was dry. There were so few targets that I put the 17" coil on my CTX. I was digging beer cans at over 2 foot deep, but still not hitting any more coins or jewelry.

But, for whatever reason, the targets are everywhere again. Oh well, here is to another decade of trying to work all the target out of this beach!

Back
Top Bottom