No Cannonballs, But a Few Keepers

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Got out to detect an interesting permission on Monday – it’s an existing home built in 1879, originally owned by the town’s doctor. The site was actually used as a home/doctor’s office up until at least the 1940’s, as the owners mentioned that their neighbor across the street who passed away several years ago had his tonsils removed in the house! Even more exciting is it’s position relative to a small garrison from the War of 1812 – at one point while gardening, the owners dredged up a small cannonball :wow: To add to the interest, the owners contacted me about detecting the property – not the other way around. They’ve lived at the property for over 40 years, and claim they never gave permission for anyone to hunt before – I take that with a grain of salt, but encouraging if true since it covers pretty much the entire time frame that detecting has been prevalent.

Anywho, with all that glorious intro out of the way, I definitely didn’t find anymore cannonballs! In fact, I was genuinely worried when my first signal turned out to be a canning jar lid – firmly entrenched about 10 inches down! Last thing I expected or wanted would be to dig 10 inch + holes all day just to reach stuff from the early to mid 1900s! Thankfully that turned out to be an oddity, and after a couple hours on-site, I ended up with a cool variety of finds (even the canning jar was pretty slick in my book – the “milk glass” liner was still intact and apparently the Consolidated Fruit Jar Company stopped making lids in 1907 :grin:).

But my flat out favorite was a lead mold for a horse mounted toy soldier. It just about blew my ears off – it was about 4” down, and pegged the Ace at a full 99 on the TID. It was the first time I ever dug a full-scale signal that turned out to be something other than trash. I'm not convinced on how much age it might have on it though - the copyright symbol and serial number marking on the back seems suspiciously modern. But the overall design pretty well matches this antique set, minus the handles: Antique Lead Soldier Mold on Pinterest. Very cool nonetheless!

I also found an awesome old Master Lock “Walking Lion” key – a little bent, but the design makes it one of the coolest keys I’ve dug yet! Some initial research revealed that the “Walking Lion” was only on the keys until 1941. I went ahead and used my set of Andre’s Pencils to clean the key up – I think it cleaned up really nicely.

The various other keepers are a Great Seal Army button (probably pretty modern), a 1959 Rosie that lost a fight with a lawnmower, a pair of tokens from a 1969 Shell Oil promotional game (one also tussled with that same lawn mower), the squashed neck of an old oil lamp with the adjustment toggle still attached, and a couple of pieces of what I think is silver – one is definitely the handle of a spoon or something, maybe from an old tea set, but no idea what the other piece is from. Both rang like silver, and they cleaned pretty well – plus they just have that look/feel of old dug silver. The spoon handle has “Made in USA” on the back, but no indication of silver. I even like the old roller handle from the manual car window crank – took me a little while to realize what it was, it’s been so long since I’ve seen one!

I only had time to hunt about 20% of the 1 acre property, so there's certainly more to be found there. I may have to wait until spring to go back though - not only is the cold weather likely setting in for good, but my pin pointer has been acting up again and getting worse. My 2017 hunting season is definitely winding down :(

Here’s a pic of the full hunt, pre-cleaning (oil lamp part is in the center):

FullHunt_1204.JPG

And a shot of most of the keepers, post-cleaning:

Keepers_12-04.jpg

Detail of the lead mold, front and back (Lots of cool detail is still visible in person, like the piping on the officers cap, etc. Do you guys think it might be safe to try the mold in some of my daughter’s Play-Doh??):

LeadMold_Front.jpg

LeadMold_Back.jpg

“Walking Lion” Master Lock key, after cleaning with just soap, water, & toothbrush, then after cleaning with Andre's Pencils:

WalkingLionKey_Dirty.jpg

WalkingLionKey_Clean.jpg

WalkingLion_Back.jpg

US Army Great Seal button - I finally cleaned the back enough to make out a backmark, which reads "* Waterbury Cos. Conn. * 21". Most likely fairly modern, since Waterbury changed to "Companies" sometime after 1945, and the button was only about 2" down:

GreatSealButtonFront.jpg

GSButtonBack.jpg

Shell Oil game piece tokens. The promotion was pretty cool – apparently you could win a full set of state coins struck in bronze…I wouldn’t mind finding some of those while detecting! 😊 It’s a shame one got dinged – being from NJ originally, I can understand why the lawnmower might want to take a shot at the state though!

ShellCoin.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Glad to see that you were able to make it out before the ground froze up. Sounds like you've got something to look forward to come spring to dig. And you finished off the year with a piece of silver congratulations!

Just a side note on your pinpointer. I've noticed that mine will act up when the battery gets low in the lower the battery gets the more trouble that I have with it. Just a thought.
And if you have had it less than 2 years try getting ahold of Garrett they may replace it.

Those old shell coins bring back memories, used to collect them as a kid back in the 60s. Nice bunch of relics you have there.

Cool relics! That key cleaned up nice! Congrats on your finds!

Thanks! It was a fun hunt - and just as much fun to dig up info on the finds afterward! :grin:

Glad to see that you were able to make it out before the ground froze up. Sounds like you've got something to look forward to come spring to dig. And you finished off the year with a piece of silver congratulations!

Yeah, the cold has arrived in force for sure, and it won't be long before the ground's to tough to dig - even got a dusting of snow today! Definitely looking forward to getting back there in the Spring - without question, there's more to find. It would have been a great hunt to end the season on, but I pushed my luck and did get out on Tuesday for about an hour to do some curb strips - bagged one more silver Rosie and a handful of Wheats to officially close out the year :grin:

Those old shell coins bring back memories, used to collect them as a kid back in the 60s. Nice bunch of relics you have there.

That's one of the things I really enjoy about the hobby - not only do I get the opportunity do unearth some older history, but occasionally I make some finds that bring back my own memories! Like I said, I even enjoyed the car window crank roller - brought a smile to my face when I recognized what it was, and instantly transported back in time to sitting in the front seat of my Grandma's brand new, 1977 Mercury Monarch...back in the day when you sat in the front seat when you were 6, and no one batted an eye! :lol:

Just a side note on your pinpointer. I've noticed that mine will act up when the battery gets low in the lower the battery gets the more trouble that I have with it. Just a thought.
And if you have had it less than 2 years try getting ahold of Garrett they may replace it.

Thanks for the tips on the pinpointer - yeah, I've noticed that it does goofy things as the batteries get lower, too. But I've changed out to multiple new batteries and the problem persists. It looks like I've got a problem with the on/off switch. Sometimes when I push the button, the unit powers on and stays on like it's supposed to, but other times it powers back off again as soon as I release the button. I've found that it still seems to work if I keep the button depressed, but that's surprisingly difficult to do consistently while trying to scan a hole with gloves on.

I've actually already contacted Garrett and got an RMA number. I'll be shipping it out tonight or tomorrow to official put an end to my 2017 detecting season :( Unfortunately, it's out of warranty - my wife got me the pinpointer as a birthday gift in 2014 because I was talking about getting into the hobby back then, but I never actually bought a full detector until this year!

Back
Top Bottom