No Beach Hunting for a While.

Compass

Forum Supporter
Earlier this year I noticed a partial loss of hearing on my left side. After a hearing test and MRI I was diagnosed with vestibular schwannoma aka acoustic
neuroma, a benign tumor on my left hearing nerve. It only affects a couple people out of every 100,000.
Although benign, its continued growth would eventually cause some pretty bad symptoms so I am having surgery next week to remove it. My doctors are hoping to preserve hearing on my affected side. It's strange that despite some hearing loss and slight ringing in my ear I feel perfectly healthy and fit.
Because metal detecting relies on hearing so much it will be interesting to see how this will impact me in the future. If hearing signals becomes a challenge I know that there are ways to metal detect with vibration and light displays so I have a backup plan. :grin:
I figure that you local pirates have about 2 months of unfettered pillaging of my favorite beaches in the "prime" time of the year so get it while you can. :yes:
I'm sure that I will spend a great deal of my recovery time reading about some great finds on this forum so good luck to all! :yes:

Wish you the best in your surgery and recovery. Health is more important than treasure at this point.
DL

Hoping your surgery will be successful and you'll heal quick! It's always distressing to have some issue that needs surgical intervention...

The human body is amazingly able to compensate though, so maybe it won't hurt your hunting. I'm partially deaf on the left side also, probably mostly due to wearing a radio earpiece for years only on that side. I didn't realize quite how much hearing I had lost until I got a new set of headphones. Now when I am having one of my "I hate the feeling of headphones squeezing my head" days, I use a mono earbud only on the right side while hunting. I haven't had any trouble using only one side, and the benefit is I can still hear my pinpointer even with my bum left side.

You'll figure it out :yes:

Hi Compass,

My name is Joyce. I had this surgery on Oct. 17, 2001. It sounds like your tumor was found early. I'm here to support you before and after your surgery if you feel like talking to someone who has been where you are now.

Best of luck.

Wom's wife

Hey George. Praying for you that your surgery is successful. Now hurry up and get better....we need to meet up and have a detecting day like we had earlier this year. I will even let you have the first gold. :D:D

Here is hoping everything is highly successful. Hearing is one of our very important senses. Get er done and get back to detecting.

George

Hope everything is 100 % successful, that's the route i would take also, hope your recovery is quick, you will be fine when it's all said & done, good luck, Earl

Earlier this year I noticed a partial loss of hearing on my left side. After a hearing test and MRI I was diagnosed with vestibular schwannoma aka acoustic
neuroma, a benign tumor on my left hearing nerve. It only affects a couple people out of every 100,000.
Although benign, its continued growth would eventually cause some pretty bad symptoms so I am having surgery next week to remove it. My doctors are hoping to preserve hearing on my affected side. It's strange that despite some hearing loss and slight ringing in my ear I feel perfectly healthy and fit.
Because metal detecting relies on hearing so much it will be interesting to see how this will impact me in the future. If hearing signals becomes a challenge I know that there are ways to metal detect with vibration and light displays so I have a backup plan. :grin:
I figure that you local pirates have about 2 months of unfettered pillaging of my favorite beaches in the "prime" time of the year so get it while you can. :yes:
I'm sure that I will spend a great deal of my recovery time reading about some great finds on this forum so good luck to all! :yes:
Sorry to hear please keep us informed on your progress. You might have to go with the Whites BHID..

Hi George
My prayers are going your way for a quick and successful recovery.
Hope to see you a the beach real soon.
I'll be sure to leave some of the good stuff for you.
Larry

Sorry to hear! Just prayed for God's will to be done for you through this. Keep us posted.

I was out with family all day yesterday and not able to respond but thank you all for your messages of support! I'll reply back later today. :yes:

On the left side only? So your right side hearing will still be ok right? Good luck on the surgery! :good:

Back
Top Bottom