Broken Collar on a Sidewinder.

Silversmith45

Elite Member
I noticed yesterday during a hunt that the upper locking collar on my Tesoro Sidewinder was split. It doesn't seem to hurt the performance but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. Should I try to glue it or what? If so, what type of glue should I use? I am not the original owner so I doubt if it would be covered by any warranty.
Broken Collar.jpg

You could replace the upper pole assy. I believe they're only about $25 or so. A complete pole set goes for about $50, if you're worried about color match; you won't be able to get the anodized poles new, but you can get the current gold painted ones. You could also try contacting Tesoro to see if just the cam lock can be replaced... It may be a service part. Give 'em a call; they're pretty friendly. ^_^

I'm not going to put s lot of money into it because it doesn't seem to make any difference anyway.

If it's a good detector, I'd at least try to replace the cam lock that's broken....but it is yours, not mine.
Wouldn't mind having a Sidewinder in nice shape. Pretty sure that was Tesoro's first microMAX detector.

If it's a good detector, I'd at least try to replace the cam lock that's broken....but it is yours, not mine.
Wouldn't mind having a Sidewinder in nice shape. Pretty sure that was Tesoro's first microMAX detector.

It works great and is in great shape other than the lock. I bought a Silver Sabre uMax from a forum member but made the mistake of telling him that he could use it until he got his other one out of the pawn shop. I never got it or heard from him again. He doesn't post on the forum anymore. He had a good feedback score until then.

I sent an e-mail and found out that the collars aren't that expensive so I will be ordering a couple, just to have an extra. I found out that the one I talked to is Allan Cannon. I remember him from the 80's when he worked for Compass.

Awesome! Yeah, Allen is a great guy to talk to. I've spoken with him and Rusty; both seem pretty cool. Had a feeling that the cam lock could be a service part. Glad it was a simple fix for you. :neat:

I think I'll order a few small parts myself. Thought I heard one of those crack on my Silver Sabre a few days ago... Still holding, but I should have a spare around.

You could take and unscrew it until the seam comes together and then epoxy it with Devcon 2 part epoxy you get at lowes. It is strong stuff.

Going on three weeks since I sent a money order for the parts. I thought about having one of my old Silver Sabres checked out but if it takes this long for just parts, I think I'll pass.

I've never ordered parts from them, but it took exactly one week to get my high tone Vaquero done and sent back to me. Give them a call to see what's up.

I finally received them. They had made a mistake with the address and got it back. I'm not sure if I understand the instructions on how to replace it. I may keep using the one on it until it breaks all the way. It doesn't seem to make any difference. Has anyone ever replace one?

Back
Top Bottom