Finally got out for a few hours

Steady

It's been a while since I've been out but I made it to the beach the other day. It was COLD! The wind was whipping and it was overcast which made for a very tough day. Just after I parked my truck I spotted a quarter in the sand. I didn't even turn my Ace on yet and I was 25 cents ahead of the game! :lol: I figured it was a good sign and thought the beach gods were with me. Over the next 2 hours I found 3 more quarters and 2 pennies, none older than 1980 (I'm guessing a pic isn't necessary :P ). Still had a lot of fun being out again though. Hopefully I'll hit something better to post this weekend. Happy hunting everyone!

A buck's a buck, right Steady?

So do you have troubles with your 250 in the sand?

Oklahunter said:
A buck's a buck, right Steady?

So do you have troubles with your 250 in the sand?

I'll never turn down a buck! 8)

The Ace 250 is great in dry sand but takes a little getting used to closer to the ocean. It's pretty much useless in black sand near the water. As soon as I walk over it I know it's going to start beeping like crazy. Regular wet sand isn't too much of a problem though. I usually walk the tide line with the end of my swing stopping right near where the waves begin to move back. It can still get chatty but I've learned to ignore certain readings. I dig any solid repeating tone and ignore the quicker tones. I'm sure I'm passing over good targets but I can cover much more ground by doing it that way. Plus, I got tired of digging to find nothing but sand. Generally I use "jewelry mode" on the beach but occasionally I'll swich it to "all-metal", depending on how much trash is around. All and all I'm very pleased with it.

I'm by far no expert. I've only been back into the hobby for about 3 months now. I think I'm getting the hang of it but have still yet to uncover anything of value so take the above advice as an opinion from a novice. lol I'm sure some of the veterans around here can give some much better advice regarding the Ace.

Thanks for the reply!!

I dig any solid repeating tone and ignore the quicker tones. I'm sure I'm passing over good targets but I can cover much more ground by doing it that way. Plus, I got tired of digging to find nothing but sand. Generally I use "jewelry mode" on the beach but occasionally I'll swich it to "all-metal", depending on how much trash is around.

Sounds like you're doing it right, Steady. That's exactly how I hunt wet salt sand, but I like to start off in All Metal, and adjust to Jewelry if it's really trashy. I ignore most of those quick, chirpy little signals, and dig anything that is somewhat repeatable. I dig lots of trash that way, but digging in the sand is easy enough, and I won't have to dig that same trash next time!

HH!

Steady... What do you consider cold? Here in CT its in 30's along with the water..

Cfmct-PI said:
Steady... What do you consider cold? Here in CT its in 30's along with the water..

It was in the lower 20's, very windy and cloudy. My face looked like an apple by the time I was finished. :mad: :lol:

But like LI Mike said, any day out is a good day!

Back
Top Bottom