Is my AT Pro leaking?

Steve77

Elite Member
Well I have had this particular ATP for 4 years I think. It has been under water plenty of times with no problems. Today, everything seemed fine until I briefly dunked the control box. The sound to the Grey Ghost headphones went out, and instead the internal speaker sound was turned on. I went a little shallower and kept my control box out of the water and everything returned to normal for the rest of my hunt, approx 1 hour. I did keep the control box out of the water after the glitch.

I keep the O rings on the jacks clean and greased but they are the originals and probably should be replaced. When I got home, I disconnected the headphone jack and it looked dry inside, but with the grease, there were a few shiny spots that could have been moisture.

Any one else ever have a similar problem? I could send it in to garrett, how much does it cost to get a checkup and resealed?

Before sending in, I would clean the headphone contacts, both on the ATP and GG. Next I would suspect a wire problem with the GG headphones. I don't think this symptoms would be caused by water leakage. Most likely a connection problem as the audio in the GG went OFF and the speaker came ON.

Before sending in, I would clean the headphone contacts, both on the ATP and GG. Next I would suspect a wire problem with the GG headphones. I don't think this symptoms would be caused by water leakage. Most likely a connection problem as the audio in the GG went OFF and the speaker came ON.

That is kind of the way I was leaning. I am going to replace the o rings on the connectors and battery cover just to be proactive too.

At Pro Leak

I tear my down each winter and clean it up. Go to YouTube and look up, "Look inside the AT Pro control box."
Easy to do and will only take you 30 mins or so. It always gets dirty around the buttons each year because if you push the buttons while it is under water, you get sand and moisture in around the buttons. Do not seal the ports like the guy does in the video, if those nuts get loose you can tighten them when you have it apart. You may want to buy a new decal if you mess up the old one taking it off.

I tear my down each winter and clean it up. Go to YouTube and look up, "Look inside the AT Pro control box."
Easy to do and will only take you 30 mins or so. It always gets dirty around the buttons each year because if you push the buttons while it is under water, you get sand and moisture in around the buttons. Do not seal the ports like the guy does in the video, if those nuts get loose you can tighten them when you have it apart. You may want to buy a new decal if you mess up the old one taking it off.

Good idea! I'm a pretty competent do it yourselfer. Decals usually come right off with a bit of warm air from a hair dryer.

Well I have had this particular ATP for 4 years I think. It has been under water plenty of times with no problems. Today, everything seemed fine until I briefly dunked the control box. The sound to the Grey Ghost headphones went out, and instead the internal speaker sound was turned on. I went a little shallower and kept my control box out of the water and everything returned to normal for the rest of my hunt, approx 1 hour. I did keep the control box out of the water after the glitch.

I keep the O rings on the jacks clean and greased but they are the originals and probably should be replaced. When I got home, I disconnected the headphone jack and it looked dry inside, but with the grease, there were a few shiny spots that could have been moisture.

Any one else ever have a similar problem? I could send it in to garrett, how much does it cost to get a checkup and resealed?

I called them about getting my AT Pro checked out and they quoted me 40 bucks plus parts for a complete checkup and updating of firmware, including return shipping

+1. More inclined to think headphone problem.

I cleaned the connectors up and ran it underwater for several hours, no problems. Have been using my equinox mostly, so not a ton of time on the ATP lately.

Back
Top Bottom