How do you write?

Been seeing talk about (elsewhere) of kids nowadays not being able to read/write cursive.

I know; I think that's pretty sad, actually. I love writing - especially in cursive, but also printing and calligraphy. I've been wanting to learn shorthand, since I do a lot of note-taking during church services.

I learned cursive in school, they used something called the Palmer method back then (1960-62). The key, I think, to writing well in cursive is the proper grip on the pen or pencil. I see young kids today holding the pen in their fist rather than with their fingertips. I often read old documents written in the early 20th century, and almost always the handwriting is very neat and readable.
I've heard of the Palmer Method! In fact, not too long ago I came across a guide to learning it. You're right, it is a beautiful and neat style. :yes:

My writing is a mix of cursive and print, although some of my cursive letters probably aren't the correct way to write the letters.

I never understood the need for cursive. Seems to me every production made piece of text is in print because it is easily legible. I have customers leave notes with their cars written in cursive and 3 50 to 55 year old guys have to collaborate as to what it says. I PRINT !!

I never understood the need for cursive. Seems to me every production made piece of text is in print because it is easily legible. I have customers leave notes with their cars written in cursive and 3 50 to 55 year old guys have to collaborate as to what it says. I PRINT !!

I think it was originally faster to write that way, since you didn't have to lift your pen/pencil as often as with print. However, since written notes are only used for the shortest communications anymore, it seems to me, that "savings" of time at the cost of complexity doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Attorneys still use Latin. Can anyone tell me why, and not just "it's always been that way"? To keep the secret society exclusive, maybe? :)

-- Tom

I use a combination of print and cursive, but not typically in the same context.

When I'm *writing* writing, I keyboard (and I have a mechanical keyboard which is a joy to work with), although I occasionally switch things up and revert to a pen (Pilot Razor Point) and pad.

My older son is a high school senior. He insists that his is the last class to have learned cursive, and says that today's crop of freshmen are bound to their screens. I call him an old man and tell him to get with the times.

My younger son writes in cursive as well, although for speed he seems to prefer printing. Either way, though, it's pretty illegible to outsiders.

Only old timers still write!

:p

I have to sign checks for them bills :lol:

I started taking drafting classes way back in High School. (Don't ask how long ago that was!) Because of that my printing was always better than my cursive.

I still think they should continue teaching it the schools, at least as an elective.

Soooooo....how long ago was that :laughing:

I can't even read my own cursive writing.

Pretty much same here

I use cursive. Or a lazy combination of print and cursive. Interestingly enough. I just went to a parent/teacher conference and she told my wife and I that handwriting and even spelling is less important than keyboarding skills in today's world.

I am sure they are more important, right up until the solar flare or EMP that takes out the power grids. How well will those kids communicate then? Hell, too many of them can't even put a thought together unless it is through a smart device.

Back
Top Bottom