Why California's eroding coast is a problem and what the government can do

What the government needs to do is to stop all you detectorists on the west coast as you are all collectively causing the problem with your big scoops as you dig into the beaches. As you all scoop into the sand you are creating cavities for water to rush in and continue degrading the shore line. In fact, the San Andres fault was created by gold prospectors during the California Gold Rush over 150 years ago. :smart: :lol:

What the government needs to do is to stop all you detectorists on the west coast as you are all collectively causing the problem with your big scoops as you dig into the beaches. As you all scoop into the sand you are creating cavities for water to rush in and continue degrading the shore line. In fact, the San Andres fault was created by gold prospectors during the California Gold Rush over 150 years ago. :smart: [emoji38]
I guess ban all PI machines too? LOL

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

One of the beaches I detect erodes quite rapidly. It was Re-nourished about three years ago at a cost of approximately 50 million dollars. Now they are in the process of again pumping sand to protect those expensive beachfront homes. Two miles of beach to be Re-Nourished to the tune of 11 million dollars. Oh the Folly of trying to fool Mother Nature.

One of the beaches I detect erodes quite rapidly. It was Re-nourished about three years ago at a cost of approximately 50 million dollars. Now they are in the process of again pumping sand to protect those expensive beachfront homes. Two miles of beach to be Re-Nourished to the tune of 11 million dollars. Oh the Folly of trying to fool Mother Nature.
But it's their beach and not a public beach right ?

What the government needs to do is to stop all you detectorists on the west coast as you are all collectively causing the problem with your big scoops as you dig into the beaches. As you all scoop into the sand you are creating cavities for water to rush in and continue degrading the shore line. In fact, the San Andres fault was created by gold prospectors during the California Gold Rush over 150 years ago. :smart: :lol:

It's not our "Fault"! ;):D:p:laughing::laughing:

But it's their beach and not a public beach right ?

Well they think its their beach and they think that you and I should pay to protect their expensive Ocean Front homes. Of course the Tourists that visit that particular beach do contribute significantly to the towns finances.

All Ocean Beaches in South Carolina are Public Beaches. Even those behind fences in the gated communities. There is one beach at a Gated Community that i am still trying to find a way to gain access without having to walk three to four miles of beach to see what may be hiding there.

Romy, thanx for the link. But I agree with Felix-cat: The coastal erosion is solely your fault. That picture is the smoking gun !

Yes: The winter of 2016 to 2017 was a good one on Monterey bay too. A couple of beaches got eroded, and we had lots of fun. Others remained un-scathed. It was hit & miss.

This last winter though (2017 to 2018) was rather lame for erosion :(

If you ever get a chance, try talking to someone there in So. CA who was in on the 1982 to 1983 El nino erosion. Some toe-curling stories you'll hear. One guy down there, that I know of, had an entire week (5 or 6 days anyhow), where each day had NO LESS than 100 silver coins per day. He was working beaches near LAX. And gold jewelry counts of 5 to 10 gold rings each day.

Up here, a few guys had some days of 100 silver coins during the '82-83 event. And I know of at least 7 gold coins that came from that winter. 1 of which was on a guys first-day-ever md'ing.

In some instances, on some select stretches, all the newer sand had been washed out, so that EVERY coin was old. Eg. wheaties, silver, V's, etc.... Such that it would be "odd" if you got a memorial. Doh!

1996 to 1997 was good too, on a couple of beaches here. One night, on a beach eroded to bedrock, I went for an entire hour, where every single scoop at a minimum of several coins in it. Couldn't even pinpoint, d/t the signals too-numerous.

Alas: Such conditions are few and far between :roll:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Felix/Romy

Look's like they are bringing some good smoke their in Miami beside's the Cuban Cigar's :laughing::heybud: , Romy anything can happen , i chose to sit back 10 miles from the beach, on higher ground, no flood zone here, it's a shame some high dollar CA beach home's will go into the sea down the road, but that's the chance you take living on the coast line. Happy hunting, Earl

Romy, I wish those conditions were current and not LAST YEARS ... Even though it sucks for the million dollar homes etc, I want gold rings.

Back
Top Bottom