Oh What A Day

beephead

Elite Member
I went back over a site that I've detected earlier this year. I found some clad coins and a couple of wheat pennies (1942, 1945). After a thorough going over, I decided it was time move on to another site.

On my way to another site I saw the owner of the 'no trespassing' vacant house there mowing the yard, so I pulled over to chat with him for awhile. I found a bunch of silver coins on that lot earlier this year. Long story short I remembered him saying that he lived in a really old house near downtown that was built in 1910. I asked him if it would be OK for me to detect it. He gave me the OK and the street address.

When I got there my heart was racing at how nice the site looked. I got out my Deus and started swinging and digging away. About 20 minutes into the hunt, a lady comes out the front door and walks past me on the front service walk giving me a strange look. I said you must be Jeff's wife. She said who's Jeff? It hit me like a ton of bricks, I was at the wrong house. It was the house next door that I was suppose to be detecting.

Not to be deterred, I said since I'm already here, will it be OK for me to detect your yard. She said that her husband would come out and speak with me about that. After speaking with the husband, he realized that it was a honest mistake and told me that it would be OK for me to detect his yard.

Anyhow, I didn't get to detect long, but I did manage to find some clad coins, 3 wheat pennies (1910, 1920, 1927), and some wings. Before leaving I saw Jeff drive up in his truck and I walked over to talk with him some more. He told me about being home and being broke into and about the time that two teens robbed him at gunpoint at the end of his driveway.

I got a grand tour of his home. It was an exciting experience, because he had some really old neat stuff. I wished that had taken pictures of everything, but I didn't think about it until I was getting ready to head out the front door.

I have an open invitation to detect his yard anytime I want. I expect to pick up some new permissions up and down the street as well. My foot is in the door.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Sounds like you're hunting in sketchy neighborhoods take care. I had the same thing happened to me I I wound up hunting in the wrong yard when the guy came home I apologized i sowas embarrassed I just left the wings are really cool were you able to get any history on them Happy Hunting Mark

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Nice write up.
Thanks! I really enjoyed touring that old house.

Congrats with the finds and scoring permissions
Thanks! I expect to get some permissions in the immediate area.

Thanks for sharing.

Your approach to folks must be very good.
Thanks! I feel if I get a 'no', I feel that it's my own damn fault for not asking the right way or rushing to ask for permission before giving them enough time to get to know me.

Maybe he is famous ? I've read where Hank JR and Eric Church also metal detect...........:?:
LOL!

Sounds like you're hunting in sketchy neighborhoods take care. I had the same thing happened to me I I wound up hunting in the wrong yard when the guy came home I apologized i sowas embarrassed I just left the wings are really cool were you able to get any history on them Happy Hunting Mark

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah, the neighborhood is not really all that safe. Sometimes I don't even feel safe even with a conceal carry permit. I wouldn't want to be in the area after sunset. Most of the people who live there are decent people, but the thugs from the nearby housing projects ruin everything.

beephead

Hmm, I'm gonna have to try that approach, "Oh I'm sorry I'm in the wrong yard, but since I'm already here...?" :laughing: But seriously congrats on your continued success, love the wings! High on my bucket list

Now This is so cool! What a day Beep!! :laughing::laughing: That old guy Jeff sure has some interesting things on his wall...I havnt seen a display like that since at the Cracker Barrel! It sure is fun to read and see what kind of day you have! You sure make me want to log in here! :laughing::laughing: Keep it up Brother!

Congrats on the finds and story. Those Pilots wings are awesome.
Thanks!

That's hilarous that you were detecting the wrong yard:lol::laughing:
Nice finds:D
Yeah, I bet she thought I was some drunk or something crawling around in her front yard digging holes.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to try that approach, "Oh I'm sorry I'm in the wrong yard, but since I'm already here...?" :laughing: But seriously congrats on your continued success, love the wings! High on my bucket list
Thanks! It never hurts to ask.

Now This is so cool! What a day Beep!! :laughing::laughing: That old guy Jeff sure has some interesting things on his wall...I havnt seen a display like that since at the Cracker Barrel! It sure is fun to read and see what kind of day you have! You sure make me want to log in here! :laughing::laughing: Keep it up Brother!
Thanks! I wished that I had taken pictures of all the cool stuff on hanging on the grand hallway wall. Lot's of Elvis stuff! The kitchen even had a old icebox. If you look in hard in one of the pictures at the bottom of the stairs you'll see a picture of a rat leading an ass with the caption 'I don't give a". I laughed at that one.

beephead

Was that Prince Mongo's house? :laughing:

Congrats on the Wheats and Jump wings and I'm sure you will be swimming in the silver soon! Enjoy the cooler weather while it lasts!

Back
Top Bottom