Ok here's one for a rude awakening.

hunterray2002

Currosity has gotten the best of me over the years and I broke down and spent $70.00 on a COBRA BEACH MAGNET.

Now before you laugh ,let me explain what I found .

After doing some serious looking over I came to the conclusion that IF THIS ISN'T A FISHER AQUANAUTT NOCK OFF then I don't know what is.

I opened up the batter compartment and there was the 8 AA battery pocket.

Now just like the fisher. It has 4 hidden screws in each corner where the battery pocket sets. Out they came and the front slid apart nicely. Giving me just enough room to find 3 pots I was looking for. Now most of you may have read the reviews on this unit and claims of how it doesn't perform very well and wont hit on gold at all. YEP. that part is true. (WAS TRUE) I RAN A 14KT LADIES RING UP AGAINST THE COIL WITH DISC DOWN TO NOTHING.

No tone. Sooooo. Being the tinkerer I am. Out came the long jewelrs screw driver and the 3 pots I mentioned inside. for anyone who has one of these units. On the right there is a small orange pot. It gives a high tone and a low tone. I turned it counter clockwise the entire way giving me a hightone.

Secondly in the middle there is a blue pot. I turned it all the way counter clock wise as well. giving me super sensitivity. Yep you guessed it. This crazy fisher nock off now hits 8'' on the 14kt ladies ring. 10'' on a quarter,penny,dime and 8 inches on a nickel. Discriminates iron rather nicely and the additional pot is the depth pot which I left alone.

So now this cheap low reviewed nock off hits like a champ as it should .

Resealed the housing back up with Plastidip and put the housing back together ,screwed all screws tight and did another air test.

Still operating and working as well as the aquanaut.Air tests are not to bad, gained roughly another 3 to 4 inches compared to what it started out as.

Well it doesn't run at 2.4khz tho but rather 12khz . Seems like it would make a neat fresh water unit as it is water proof. . Will be giving it a run thru at the lake to see how it works out with the tweaking done.

Great post! Thanks for taking one for the team and experimenting. I'm looking forward to what you find (pun intended).

Do you have a link to this pot mod? A cheap, functioning water detector to use (after my dad finally takes back his ATP :laughing:) would be great to have.

They are purposely detuned at the factory because they don't want consumers to know how good they really are. That way they don't feel compelled to raise the price. :roll:

Trial .

Well, I took the unit out for some fresh water lake hunting this morning at 4am, met up with a friend and we bagan our water hunt at :5:15 this morning.

I mentioned what I did to the unit and compared his 1280 fisher to the Cobra B,M. extremely similar in appearance and function other then the Cobra runs at 12khz. As much as I don't want to admit it because I really enjoy Fisher units but after I made a few tweaks to the cobra. I managed
$2.00 in clad and a small (small) earring. His fisher managed $.67cents. no jewelry. I bit the bullet and said well no better time then the present and said here goes. If it's going to short out then I'm out $70.00 . Soooo under the water it went. I had to occasionaly run my scoop near the coil just to make sure it was working. LOL Not a good thing ,it'll almost pop an eardrum.

All in All. I'm very pleased with it's performance after making the adjustments and believe I may just hang onto this unit and chest mount it.

Arm fatigue set in rather quickly after a half hr of swinging. The 10'' coil was rather impressive especially hitting on the small earring the size of a pencil eraser. which is not a problem for my Tesoro compadre mod with the 9x8 coil. I believe if this unit had a ground balance onit. It may handle some of the florida beaches pretty well. I may take it down in August to see how it performs in the dry to wet.

Happy Hunting.

Ray(Sam) Wagaman.

SO... just WHERE did you find one for SEVENTY DOLLARS? I did read that right didn't I?

Ebay

Every now and again I'll find a decent deal and sometimes I just throw the seller an offer via message and it works.

I did findout as I figured it is a 1280x indisguise.

Beach Magnet Modifications Panned out

I am surprised at what turned up this morning at the lakes. Well Not really. After doing some tweaking as I mentioned to the internal pots .I was then able to hit on gold rings at 6 to 8'' Which was very pleasing to say the least .Considering the reviews and factory performance I wasn't impressed either.

Well After doing the tweaking I resealed the unit back up and hit the lakes this morning at 4:30am .Always nice to show up and no one else is there until around 6:30.LOL The very first signal was the mens wedding ring. Now A ring to me is always a cool find in any area.

The usual clad and a big BLING,BLING,HOOP. and lastly a stainless neckless.

The one that really got my eyes bugged out was this nice yellow gold (PLATED) butterfly earring with its damn fake cubic stones. LOL

I believe after this mornings hunt I may consider keeping the beach magnet and hunt with it some more. I set the disc just between 2 and 3 which nocked out the iron perfectly . sensitivity was way up to around 8 and volume maxed. Performed rather nicely.

So. IMHO, factory settings are not worth the money spent on the unit unless you come across one like I did for $70.00 and want to tweak the pots a bit to get a little better performance. After doing so. Its a fun little unit. ADVICE >>>>chest mount that heavy thing. lol

Attachments

• Beach Magnet.jpg
    Beach Magnet.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,746
WOW! Congratulations!

And I just realized that you didn't even modify your machine, you just made it more sensitive with the existing potentiometers! I thought you'd added some in. Cool! This is something someone as electrics-stupid as me can do. :)

Now I'm on the lookout for a cheapo unit to mess with.

Thanks, again, for sharing!

Hey guys I got to Cobra beach magnet from a friend for 50 bucks worked all right found this post did the tweaks works awesome now for a newbie!!! Hunter Ray I sent you some private messages I had some problems with an audible tone that wouldn't go away until I set the depth way down- any thoughts?

Hey guys I got to Cobra beach magnet from a friend for 50 bucks worked all right found this post did the tweaks works awesome now for a newbie!!! Hunter Ray I sent you some private messages I had some problems with an audible tone that wouldn't go away until I set the depth way down- any thoughts?

Sounds like your sense is turned up to high. . Do you get this audible while inside ? It's best to do these adjustments outside away from in dor electronics

I was just given a Cobra beach magnet for free along with a bounty hunter 505. Not really feeling the bounty hunter. Doesn't seem like it works very well. Interested in what you did to your beach magnet though. Gonna have to wait till I get a battery compartment cover before I get to mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom