Thanks , I did it!!

cool!!

now just wait ....when you really get into it, you will start looking for errors and other things:cool:

Iam no pro. by any means, but at first it can become overwhelming if you spend tons of time on one penny, just look at the penny quickly, obverse and reverse, and it something catches your eye, put it to the side for later inspection.

just set aside the coins you want to inspect later and toss the rest into the bucket, some people like to hoard the true coppers, pre-82 for possible melt value in the future, if they ever make it legal to melt.

get your self a nice magnifying glass or a loupe, i got a 10x loupe and what a eye saver! and research on some easy to find errors like 99'-00' wide AM

save all your "s" mint dates, San Francisco minted cents from 1909 to 1955 and again from 1968 to 1974. the teen years can be worth a nice premium.

Heres a few easy ones to look out for there are many "varieties", find a nitch and get good at it, then widen your effort, sorry if causes a brain overload:lol:
1909-S VDB
1909-S
1914-D
1931-S

1909-S over horizontal S
1944-D over S
1946-S over D
1951-D/S
1952-D/S
1956-D/S (dual mintmark)
1956-D/D/S

good luck and HH and CRH!!!!

Vettech101

Nice info Thanks:yes:
I did a little research an saving all 1961-1982. Found 280 so far since sept 09 MDing. I'm not in to roll searching but sounds neat to do:grin:

HH-Texpete:)

Great job shermanator! I didn't get my first '30's wheat until probably after my ~300th roll. I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you Vettech. DON'T save anything but wheats, indians and if anyone's ever gotten a FE (yea right) save em too. It just takes too much time to look through every penny for DD's and other mistakes.

Great job shermanator! I didn't get my first '30's wheat until probably after my ~300th roll. I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you Vettech. DON'T save anything but wheats, indians and if anyone's ever gotten a FE (yea right) save em too. It just takes too much time to look through every penny for DD's and other mistakes.

Not saying he should look at all pennies, just giving him insight if he choses to look at the wheats later, kinda hone ones skills with the wheats and others one choses to save. It is obvious to save wheats and indians, and once again, I was saying some people hoard copper, i dont...dont have room nor inclination to do so. but why not give your wheats you find another close look?

not to hard to toss a old penny aside that caught your eye for a better look, I do a quick take, front and back and if it piques my interest , then have another look after the brick is done, or for a rainy day when detecting is out of the question.

So, if one has time ...why not? I guess it would depend how deep a person wants to get into saving penny "varieties"

Sorry Vettech, I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant he should look at ALL pennies for mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom