Votes: 35 3.3%
  • Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro

Votes: 81 7.7%
  • BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters
I'm new to the group and to metal detecting but have always wanted to get into it. I live in Kansas so hoping to find some great stuff! I purchased a Garrett ACE 400 for my first detector and can't wait until it gets here so I can start the hunt! Anybody else hunt with the ACE 400? If so, how do you like it?

This poll should maybe be updated =p

Don't think they even make the Fisher F2 anymore

What about the Teknetics Delta 4000 :?:

The Eurotek Pro is on special last I looked with 8" concentric coil for $149. It flashes iron when you hear it so you don't get fooled as easily.You just need to get a coupon on Tekneticsdirect.com/ They'll tell you to select your closest or favorite dealer that is participating. This one IDs my 5" deep dime pretty accurately in my moderately mineralized ground. Large numerical ID.

I think the Teknetics Digitek was $179 is still on sale for $129. This is a model for kids as the pole doesn't allow those over 5' 5" to stand up straight and have the coil on the ground. Air tests at least 8" on a dime. A 26" rod can be ordered for use by adults. Simple to operate and has big numerical ID. Again you pick a participating dealer's code for the discount.

Also, check their current price on the B.H. Land Ranger Pro and its Teknetics equivalent. It has high discrimination programs with preset ground balance & programs rejecting iron only with manual ground balance.

I had the Delta 4000, thought it OK but ID numbers seemed to wiggle more.

I’m newer (last 3 weeks) and got the Garrett Ace 250. I love it, simple to understand and I’ve gotten a lot of stuff. The depth meter seems to be a little inaccurate but it’s not too bad. I bought mine used for $190 and someone texted me a week later with one for $130. (Mine does have a DD coil which is apparently better) but I love it. I’ve gotten some nice coins, my oldest being a 1941 French 10 Centamine which was around 6 inches deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started off with the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, and love it!!! I just got the AT Max, and talk about a learning curve!!! :shock:

Up Grade

I started in the mid 80s with a Tesoro golden Sabre Plus, which I still have.
Looking to upgrade, and their are too many options. I am getting a headache.

Terry

tesoro mojave! a detector you will never get rid of!..super lightweight,great coin machine,and to lot detector!..can always have it available in the car very fast recovery speed in iron,loves coins and jewelry!...rugged,and with life time warranty!..well balanced,and a ton of fun in the field,both for beginner,and experienced hunter!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My first serious metal detector that had good enough discrimination so that I wasn't digging up all the garbage in the ground was the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. The Pioneer 505 actually paid for itself with all the treasures I found with it. I still have fond memories of that detector.

Teknetics Eurotek Pro/Minuteman, Liberator/Land Ranger Pro, Fisher F2 or F22,
X-Terra 305 or 505. All are great for a beginner especially if they are willing to put in the work to learn their detector.

For ease of use, the Eurotek Pro/ Minuteman can be setup and basically learned in about 5 minutes. It's as uncomplicated as a Tesoro Compadre, Mojave or Silver microMax but with multiple tones, a great display, depth readout, pinpointer, some discrimination and V Breaks, Iron tone volume control and it has plenty of power to go deep.

I just started metal detecting a couple months ago. I was looking to spend under $300 and bought the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. Plenty of bells and whistles for me and easy to learn.

Vanquish 440 or if funds are good a vanquish 540..The 540 can be bought in the $375 range without the wireless headphones and additional 5x8 coil..I can’t say enough good about the machine..440 is about $275 and just as good as the 540,but a few less options..
The simplex is also good,about $250 and packs a lot of punch for the price..Both the simplex and vanquish would be my top picks..5 years ago you’d have paid in the $600 range for the performance these two machines have,and I still don’t think you would have gotten the performance these two put out back then.

The Vanquish 340 at $199 and Makro Simplex at $254. Very capable machines for the price and able to meet the needs of the detectorist beyond the beginner phase.

They are modern machines where the F2 and Ace 250, while great performers are lacking in modern features like settings memory and numbers on the Ace 250.

I personally bought the Fisher F22 before I knew about either the Simplex or Vanquish. It is a good detector, but for the same price I could have gotten more.

Don't be afraid to look for used either. I am now swinging an FBS machine (Quattro) thanks to a craigslist find. I keep the F22 as a backup or for a friend as it is light, only uses 2 AA batteries and is fun like I hear the F2 is.

Back
Top Bottom