Weight Belts vs Weight Vests....Opinion?

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Hello all...went out with Aquaman this weekend on the North Shore of Hawaii....THANKS MIKE!!! :D

One glaring item missing for me was a weight belt, while I could get down and hold onto rocks while fanning, the benefit of the extra weight was VERY apparent.

Question is this, a weight belt is somewhere around $120 new (with 20lbs of weight) for a guy my size....but then GENIUS, the weight lifting shop sells a weight vest with 20lbs of weights for $50....I bought it, was that smart?

Anyone out there use a weight vest vice a weight belt? The cost was the determining factor for me...plus the vest is neophrene and uses pockets for the weight bags, another plus because I can swap with diving weight bags over time.....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

center of gravity?

With a vest you will be making yourself top heavy. Is this good or bad for what you will be doing?

A weight belt with a QR buckle is quite literally free from your body in under a second flat. It presupposes no 'favorable scenarios' in terms of being able to articulate your body in a certain way... If you can lay the tip of your pinky finger on the release, gravity takes care of the rest.

The only time I've had to ditch my gear was due to getting smacked by a very bad rip. I wouldn't have wanted to be 'undoing a vest' in that situation, but that's just me.

You can make a very functional weight belt very inexpensively w/ 2" webbing that's arguably better than what you can buy, in terms of durability.

http://shop.hanapaafishing.com/inde...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 This will give you your basic belt & SS buckle.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/2491456568.html Have no idea if still available but worth the phone call/contact.

I have a few coated 4lb weights laying around someplace that I'd be willing to let go of real cheap:yes:

Now if you really want to be self sufficient...http://www.divers-supply.com/-P357....=cpc&utm_campaign=nextag&utm_content=TRI30103 I can show you a place where you can p/u 20lbs of fishing lead in a few hours so you could make your own. Just need a cast iron skillet, a charcoal grill and the ability to stay upwind as you pour. Pretty simple really.

Oh yeah, regarding the weight vest...never used one so really can't say. Are the 1lb insert weights lead or steel? Steel in a salt water envirornment = a real PITA.

Aqua....I knew you would jump in at some point. I can get the belt for 15 at the NEX....Can return the vest if you have the weights?! :-)

Cheers....will give you a call....

Wow... $120? How much weight do you use? What mm wetsuit?

I used to find weight belts all the time. I still have several. My old dive shop sold belts at $6 and lead at $1.50 lb for uncoated and $2 coated. I had no idea the price has climbed that much. Maybe I should be hunting for weight belts instead!

My favorite belt is a rubber belt with a wire hoop style release. It will not loosen at depth and is the quickest to release. Great for free diving. I have never been a fan soft pouch weight belts.

Back
Top Bottom