• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

cortes

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
anyone own a tesoro cortes? pros/cons? hows the depth? im going to buy a new ID machine at the first of the year and was going to go with another whites or maybe even a minelab but im sold on tesoro products i think. how accurate is the display,i know my XLT was only somewhat accurate up to about 6-7",i understand no display is 100% accurate but id like to get close,do the vdi numbers jump around alot or are they pretty stable on solid targets such as pull tabs/rings? whats the differance in the deleon and cortes other than the cortes having a manual GB in all metal and also a back light? any info would be appreciated. thanks.

I have notice no difference in the accuracy of the ID because of depth. On good targets the VDI #s are stable, on bad targets they tend jump around. Of course this is one of the clues I use :) Regarding the differences with the Deleon - It has a threshold dial so you can supertune it. The bar scale has finer divisions. Manual GB in AM. Backlight.

...and dont forget the sum mode... helps a lot when numbers are bouncing... usually faster to just dig a questionable signal than to try to figure out what it is... I love Tesoro and the Cortes is the favorite of 3 Tesoros that I own. But if you are looking for the most accurate TID out there you might try another brand. I feel confident after I leave an area with the Cortes that I have missed nothing but iron. But there are other machines out there (heavier and more expensive with less warranty) whose TID is broader, with customizable notch filters, that MIGHT be a bit more accurate on the TID.

thanks folks. I think im going to go with the cortes,i like the fact that its so light,has and outstanding warranty and i dont have to ground balance it unless im hunting all metal,some times i like to just turn on and go and i cant really do that with my tejon. tesoro just seems to have a great product with all there machines, my wife owns the cibola and i wish i could pry it from her hands long enough to see what its capable of. ive been looking at alot of machines but all are so heavy and thats the main reason i parted with the XLT,ive got problems with my right shoulder and wrist so swinging a heavy machine really takes a toll but i can swing my tejon and garrett all day long and not feel a thing. thanks guys.

I too am thinking about the Cortes after the new year. I'm sure I could get by with a cheaper Tesoro, but I just know ill want to up grade sooner or later. So if I get there best one now I wont have to worry about it. I had an X-Terra 50 but had to sell it on ebay to help my brother thru the last part of collage. Not having a metal detector feels like not having any underwear. :lol:

The Cortes is a a fine machine. I like the lower bar graph. It has a finer resolution. The summing feature is a great help on determining whether to dig or not. Tesoro's warranty speaks for itself and it is a light machine. If I can help you out RelicHound just give me a call. Be safe.

John T.

This sums it all up.

The best detector out there is the one you have and enjoy.

Words to live (detect) by. Its the journey, not the destination. I've read so much about so many machines... everyone has a favorite. Whats so cool about our hobby is the zen like atmosphere that envelopes you as you go about your hunt. I've had people standing right beside me without me knowing just because I'm so engrossed in what I'm doing. How many hobbys pull you away from reality as well as ours? One property owner/manager I sought out for permission to hunt his place laughed. He told me I should go get high or something as all the metal detectorists he had met so far were far more addicted that most drug user's. He thinks were a crazy lot for sure. Oh well... just saw Rascal's quote and it got me going. Good luck with that new Tesoro and happy hunting. Tortoise

So, what was your final feelings on the Cortes after using it?

I never ended up buying the cortes..I think about the time I started this thread I bought a fisher F75. the last Tesoro I bought was the vaquero which I really like. I bought a troy shadow X5 a few weeks ago and that will probably be my last detector purchase for quit awhile.

Back
Top Bottom