• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Starting a club

Mottz

Forum Supporter
There are no detecting clubs/groups very close to me. There use to be years ago but way before my time as a detectorist. Been throwing around the idea in my head of getting one going, but what would I be getting myself in to? I'd rather just join one and not have the possible headache of running it. So all you guys who are in clubs or run the clubs, could I get a little advice? Whats it take to get one up and running? Where does a guy start and what is there to expect as it gets going? Like I said, its just an idea and maybe people close to this area may get involved also. Just not sure at this point.

The Wheat State Treasure hunters in Wichita Ks actually started with area members on this forum. They call themselves a informal group as they don't have dues or a formal structure but just meet every month at a area park and
have a short meeting and a hunt. It seems to be working for them. You can always become formal in the future if there's enough interest.

www.wheatstatetreasurehunters.wordpress.com

At the meeting you can have an opportunity to display finds...we always like bragging about the good stuff, don't we? As you get more established, this can become a contest with voting for the best find and a prize for the winner. A monthly meeting for that, and perhaps selling raffle tickets for silver. You would have an initial outlay, but if your raffles are successful, they become a fundraiser for the club. Membership dues once you're established (the two clubs I'm in charge $30 for a family and $25 for an individual membership.) And the monthly club hunt - prizes for that if you have dues coming in.

Maybe advertise on Craig's list or if there's a free area in your local paper. Also ask to put up a notice in coin stores or detector store near you.

PM if you have any questions about other stuff our clubs out here do. Good luck!

I'd definitely be interested in joining a club or helping start one. I live in Kearney but I know Hastings well.

We just started a new club this year the gateway metal detecting club check us out for ideas.

I'll be following this thread. I have thought about starting up a local club many times, but never acted on it. My rotating work schedule would pretty mean that I could never hold an office because I couldn't make the meetings regularly.

But it's still something in the back of my mind, so I will follow along to see how it goes with you. PLease let us know what happens!

Three of us is a start. But in other words, that's just 3 guys meeting to hunt. In my mind, a club has to have a more round about purpose. Now I know we all love detecting but an agenda is needed. How are we going to pursue the search for relics and coins? Not for just personal gain but for "sharing the wealth of history" to others? How are we going to get it out there that the more the merrier? Facebook, craigslist and maybe a web page I know are options. My fear is getting a bunch of people to join the club and we all sit around and stare at each other. That's why I'm at a crossroad as to make a club or just try and meet up with people. Now I just pulled up MattLock's club webpage. Thank you for notifying me about that Matt! So they have a webpage and calendar of events and even member hunts. They have it planned out months in advance. Now that's what a club is about. Silver, Doug, do you guys think that is something we could accomplish around here? I'm not saying right off the bat but maybe in a timely manner? I'm still very openly thinking about starting this but I'm not going to jump right in. If I'm not prepared, I know it will fail. So any words of wisdom from anyone out there will be greatly appreciated.

I'm all for prepping, having an agenda, securing permissions and spreading the word about our local history. I agree that it would need some structure and it would take a bit of planning to make sure we have successful meetings and hunts. I think some advertisement of social media and craigslist would be a great start.

My name on here "Silver Spoonbill" came from a club/team that I started with my buddies over 10 years ago. We all went on a fishing trip for spoonbills(paddlefish) in both Oklahoma and South Dakota. It took ALOT of prep, research, and planning. We collect dues, keep records, make t-shirts and whole bunch of other things. It would not have been successful or fun if we didn't do the legwork before the trip.

I would gladly help with agenda, recruiting and what ever else you need. I think it'd be cool to have a newsletter we could put on facebook for people who are interested to see. Again, I would be willing to do that as well, whatever help you need I'm available!

Three of us is a start. But in other words, that's just 3 guys meeting to hunt. In my mind, a club has to have a more round about purpose. Now I know we all love detecting but an agenda is needed. How are we going to pursue the search for relics and coins? Not for just personal gain but for "sharing the wealth of history" to others? How are we going to get it out there that the more the merrier? Facebook, craigslist and maybe a web page I know are options. My fear is getting a bunch of people to join the club and we all sit around and stare at each other. That's why I'm at a crossroad as to make a club or just try and meet up with people. Now I just pulled up MattLock's club webpage. Thank you for notifying me about that Matt! So they have a webpage and calendar of events and even member hunts. They have it planned out months in advance. Now that's what a club is about. Silver, Doug, do you guys think that is something we could accomplish around here? I'm not saying right off the bat but maybe in a timely manner? I'm still very openly thinking about starting this but I'm not going to jump right in. If I'm not prepared, I know it will fail. So any words of wisdom from anyone out there will be greatly appreciated.

He man woman haters club!

:laughing::laughing:

Hey guys...Following your thread here...just a suggestion...a guy might want to start out slow and add members added "by invitation only"? Just saying...plenty of crazies could come crawling out of the woodwork, or even just one could sink your whole experience....

Generally, you will be running into lots of brand new detectorists every spring...out afield in a park, with a shovel...this allows you to walk up and introduce yourself and sort of get an idea if you want to invite them to join or not...you know, sort of check them out through conversation before hand?
Mud

Do you have a local store that sells detectors? If so, they would be a great place to help get the word out. Start with creating a name for your club and
maybe make up business cards to pass out to other detectorists you meet in
your area. I have a program on my computer that allows me to print cards on
cardstock so almost no cost.

Es

Your club name is important it reflects who and what you are ours gateway St. Louis

Our club was started by the students from her decting class

You can also have a more simple club with no president and dues

I think there is a big distinction between a group of friends who meet to hunt, and an actual CLUB.

A club needs to have a goal of supporting the hobby, fellowship with like minds, education for newbies, etc. A club also needs to have at least a president who will be in charge of decisions about meetings, events, etc.. That doesn't mean it has to be a huge ordeal with dues, club letters, treasurer, committees, etc. but it needs someone who will have the final say on some things.

I think there is a big distinction between a group of friends who meet to hunt, and an actual CLUB.

A club needs to have a goal of supporting the hobby, fellowship with like minds, education for newbies, etc. A club also needs to have at least a president who will be in charge of decisions about meetings, events, etc.. That doesn't mean it has to be a huge ordeal with dues, club letters, treasurer, committees, etc. but it needs someone who will have the final say on some things.

We only have 3 officers a president VP and treasurer

Back
Top Bottom