Need cleaning advice.

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
I have a mystery coin that was a beach find, heavily crusted.

I'm pretty sure that it's a 3-cent nickel based on size, lack of a reed on the edge, and how the detector responds to it as well as the fact that I've pulled 1870s-1880s silver from this beach in the past.

I've tried an S.O.S pad on it which has always worked on nickels for me but no luck this time.

I've had it in a tumbler with beach sand, water, and dish soap for about 35 hours total. There is definitely improvement, edges of coin are starting to come through but this is taking forever. Any suggestions?

Currently, the mix in the tumbler is about 50/50 water to sand. Should I add more sand or remove some water to make the mix rougher? If not, any other thoughts?

Any and all responses are much appreciated.

I'm going with the more sand, less water, rougher mix route....let you know how it goes.

Still open to suggestions though.

Man o man this coin will not give up it's secrets.

It's been in the tumbler 80ish hours now and is only slowly starting to show the edge.

I'll continue with putting it in for a day, check it, repeat.

Still tumbling....

Here is what the coin looks like now after roughly 160 hours of tumbling.

Anybody see anything?

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

It's the size of a 3-cent nickel and rings up at 35 or 36 on my Safari which is typically a penny but this coin is clearly not copper. I'm beginning to think it's aluminum based on the color of the edge and the fact that is does not have that silver ping when dropped on edge.

Attachments

• _DSC2306.jpg
    _DSC2306.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 208
Back
Top Bottom