Is there any more love for the V3i?

Donsell

Forum Supporter
I've been checking out new higher end detectors. The V3i seems like a great machine but doesn't seem to get a lot of attention anymore. I like the versatility, and the capability to search in three frequencies at the same time, the color screen and all the information you get from the way it graphs data.

Has it been surpassed by other machines, or is my perception wrong and it's still popular?

Last edited:
They are Great machines and rival any of the top machines. Just my opinion.

Always been a whites guy but haven't advanced past the DFX. Would like to try a V3i sometime though.

I've been checking out new higher end detectors. The V3i seems like a great machine but doesn't seem to get a lot of attention anymore. I like the versatility, and the capability to search in three frequencies at the same time, the color screen and all the information you get from the way it graphs data.

Has it been surpassed by other machines, or is my perception wrong and it's still popular?

Love my MX5 and when Publisher's Clearing House comes by, I will give it a try!:laughing:

Always been a whites guy but haven't advanced past the DFX. Would like to try a V3i sometime though.

I'd love to try one too. Not sure I'll be able to before I buy though.

I was in Kansas detecting with my brother in March. Found a little silver here and there, but you seem to have it mostly cleared!

One of the best units I've ever used. I have the v3i and the MX sport. The v3i can be set to run just about any way you want it too. My MX sport rides in my truck all the time tho, if get gets stolen I won't be as heart broke as I would be the v3i.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

People are generally put off by the learning curve of the V3i. Most people want something that they just switch to a canned program, turn the detector on, and start detecting.

There are a whole lot of knobs, dials, sliders, and buttons on the V3i that make very powerful. On the down side, there are a lot of knobs, dials, sliders, and buttons you need to learn and how they all interact with each other.

I have been using my v3i for about a year and a half now and I am by no means an expert on its use. Still learning things.

People are generally put off by the learning curve of the V3i. Most people want something that they just switch to a canned program, turn the detector on, and start detecting.

There are a whole lot of knobs, dials, sliders, and buttons on the V3i that make very powerful. On the down side, there are a lot of knobs, dials, sliders, and buttons you need to learn and how they all interact with each other.

I have been using my v3i for about a year and a half now and I am by no means an expert on its use. Still learning things.

Yep. What he said. The preset programs work "ok" but to get the most out of the detector there's a fairly steep learning curve. I owned one for years and was still learning it. It was a good detector and helped me find a lot of nice stuff. Best display of any detector I've owned. I just found that I prefer the FBS units from Minelab for the type of hunting I do.

I don't know if they ever got the problem sorted but I remember their being some issues with the stock D2 coil on the Spectra.

Was the V3I harder to learn than the XP?

V3i is harder to learn than Deus.
A lot of incremental settings on V3i vs Deus.

And the Rx gain setting on V3i it can vary vary from site to site.

You don't fool with Rx gain with Deus.

Depending on what settings you change on V3i,,a fresh GB is necessary too.

Deus GB setting very forgiving on mild ground,,and really not too bad as far as forgiveness on medium minerlized ground.

V3i is harder to learn than Deus.
A lot of incremental settings on V3i vs Deus.

And the Rx gain setting on V3i it can vary vary from site to site.

You don't fool with Rx gain with Deus.

Depending on what settings you change on V3i,,a fresh GB is necessary too.

Deus GB setting very forgiving on mild ground,,and really not too bad as far as forgiveness on medium minerlized ground.

"Depending on what settings you change on V3i,,a fresh GB is necessary too."

As a 6 year user of the V3i...this is it's biggest glitch. I'm running a Minelab SE Pro now. Whites really needs to tweak their firmware on the GB IMHO.

I don't know if they ever got the problem sorted but I remember their being some issues with the stock D2 coil on the Spectra.

They must have. My 10DD stock coil is pretty impressive. Only problem I have with it is the weight. A tad heavy for my liking, though infinitely lighter than the super 12.

They must have. My 10DD stock coil is pretty impressive. Only problem I have with it is the weight. A tad heavy for my liking, though infinitely lighter than the super 12.

The problem with 10dd coil,, it sure would be nice if a little lighter in weight,,but the real problem causing its poor balance on detector is where the coil mounts to rod,,,,way to far back.

Going by memory here,,I think I'm correct.

The problem with 10dd coil,, it sure would be nice if a little lighter in weight,,but the real problem causing its poor balance on detector is where the coil mounts to rod,,,,way to far back.

Going by memory here,,I think I'm correct.

Where is mounts doesn't matter, so long as that spot is the center of gravity for the coil. I haven't cracked open the coil, but, I would assume that all of the circuit components that are not the actual coil wire, that are used to do the induction balance is in the back part of the coil.

I do get the feeling however that the mounting bracket is NOT at the center of balance. for the coil.

I have a V3i and have used it for 4 years now....best display of any detector and super adaptable, very capable on depth and discrimination. ..cons are a bit heavy and not waterproof. ..also to get good depth the recovery time has to be slowed and some masking will occur with any coil of stock size or larger...I have one for sale in the detector forum here with pics if you are interested. ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom