Would you clean it? If so, how?

SevenOneSix

Elite Member
Would you clean this?
Or should I stop thinking about it. Lol

Screenshot_2017-01-16-21-29-51_zps10omjqig.png

Screenshot_2017-01-16-21-29-59_zps60fkr3fu.png

beautiful coin ! there is a method that would work to remove the hard "cement -like" green

Let it soak in distilled water for 48 hours. Pull it out and lay the coin in a freezer. Pull it out and clean under tap water, with either baby's toothbrush or tooth pick.

Wow, that sucker is in INCREDIBLE condition. Be careful about that olive oil, it could make the coin very dark. Some people like that, but I personally do not. I probably would only pick at that stuff with a toothpick after the distilled water bath.

The green patina we see on older copper coins, most anything copper really is called verdigris....yours has gone way beyond that though and that dark stuff is corrosive in this amount.
Underneath the coin's surface is already etched and wrecked but most coin cleaning sites say there is one thing you might try.
Supposedly drugstores carry something called Vitrolin copper cleaning soap.
It comes in a liquid version for cleaning copper pans and I guess a less harsh soap infused with copper for use on humans.
A moist soft rag run over the soap and just dabbled on the bad parts might remove some of it...the harsher stuff might work or it might have undesired results.

I fear the coin is as good as it gets but it is yours to try.

A few more coin cleaning tips here...

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/cleaning_preservation_coin.shtml

I had a braided hair that was completely covered in that hard green but you can get it off .

Attachments

• april 1841 lg ct. front.jpg
    april 1841 lg ct. front.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,046
  • april 1841 reverse cleaned.jpg
    april 1841 reverse cleaned.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,027
spit on it and scrub it with crumpled up tinfoil, it takes about 20 min per side give or take. It will leave original patina where the oxidation did not lift it. I had a wheat pennie looking worse than that and It came out looking like it came out of a crh. I don't have a before and after to show for and i only find 1 every 3 (i hope to break that trend). Some day i'll have a coin to show for.

Works great though and i would not hesitate for a second to do it on that coin.

I agree with those that suggest using distilled water. No oils, ever.

I will never again use even extra-virgin olive oil and making the same mistake over and over (darkening and long-term acidic etching) of copper/bronze coin. To many nice coins ruined.

I had a braided hair that was completely covered in that hard green but you can get it off .

How did you get that green off? I have an Indian just like that but plain water soaks and tooth pick did nothing.

I can't tell what that is on there, but it looks kind of like asphalt. If it is, you might try using some Zippo lighter fluid or Coleman white gas to loosen and clean it off. If it doesn't work, I defer to the advice of others, but whatever you do, don't use any abrasive technique that might scratch the coin.

Thank you for all the replies. Today I decided to go with the distilled water freeze method. IMO this will do the least amount of damage to the coin. I'll post the progress from each freeze.

This pic shows the color comparison to a large cent that wasn't in the ground.
20170210_163142_zpsraxqg5tb.jpg

20170210_163200_zpsxbpyyesg.jpg

Front before freeze
20170210_163227_zps1uskpcjf.jpg

Back before freeze
20170210_163243_zpsaatoecqm.jpg

In frozen state.
Screenshot_2017-02-10-18-33-33_zpso8ulwf7d.png

Screenshot_2017-02-10-18-33-42_zpsjs6rrmks.png

First freeze
20170210_193219_zpsy8wkaxjg.jpg

Second freeze
20170210_215644_zpst0tdh7fo.jpg

Third freeze
20170211_013505_zpsqf1jct9d.jpg

Progress is being made. After each thaw I scrape the coin with a toothpick. Had to come back to Niagara Falls to paint a friend's bathroom. Looking forward to being back in Lockport tonight and seeing if this 18 hour freeze makes a difference than the 2 hour freezes I was doing.

Coin is still in the freezer from last night but I have to get ready and go to the Sabres game so I will post more pictures tomorrow. This method is very slow but I dont see any damage being done to the coin when I scrape it after each time it comes out of the freezer so I guess it doesnt really matter how long it takes. Slight change in color though but thats about it. I've got plenty of time before I can detect or even dig in the dump.

Back
Top Bottom