how can I clean a large cent.

bigstoff

I just found 1806 bust.and I soap and water it.it looks like it may have taken some detail out.any help

Attachments

• 20141107_134240.jpg
    20141107_134240.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 916
  • 20141107_134113.jpg
    20141107_134113.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 744
I would leave it as is , a lot of people like to see the patina. Though it may not be a particularly "valuable" coin necessarily , it still retains more value in an un-cleaned condition.

Congrats, awesome coin there!

Soap and water is sometimes the worst on them....

I have only found one, and the method that Salem Scott uses seemed to work awesome....

Check out this thread...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=140748

<*)))>{
Thanks for that thread Ice Scratcher - I really like the method used there! Gonna try it -

I've ruined my last LC using any water, peroxide, and olive oil - uggh -

I would leave it as is , a lot of people like to see the patina. Though it may not be a particularly "valuable" coin necessarily , it still retains more value in an un-cleaned condition.

Listen to Ohio Chris ...best advice you'll get.

too late. I cleaned it

Attachments

• 20141108_065806.jpg
    20141108_065806.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 670
  • 20141108_065800.jpg
    20141108_065800.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 761
Listen to Ohio Chris ...best advice you'll get.

IMO...

When you take a really crusty "environmentally" damaged copper and clean it to a point that it actually looks better you are not hurting anything... The coin was worse when you started and its better now, and not worth ANY less.... Restoring an old crusty copper is slightly different than polishing up a silver coin.... FWIW...

<*)))>{

I put all my old coppers is in the tumbler. These were found this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 609
I think it looks good & congrats!:yes:
I used Vaseline on a IH, & it really brought out the details. Just give's it the wet look all the time.

It looks good , much better. Nothing wrong with cleaning them , though cleaning a particularly valuable one can distract from its value quite a lot. If you want to clean them for your own collection you sure arent hurting anything , most arent that valuable anyway. Just if you ever want to sell it the value may be significantly less than an uncleaned one and the value will usually never appreciate as much in the future. Many collectors consider a coin that has been cleaned to that extent as "ruined" or atleast less desirable. But I am speaking in general about all coins.

Back
Top Bottom