Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Default Need some input

In April I'll be teaching a two hour "Introduction to Metal Detecting" class at the continuing education program at a local high school..

What do you wish you knew early in the hobby?

What would have been helpful for someone to tell you early in your hunting career?

I have my own thoughts but I don't want to influence the responses.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Elite Member

Skip the entry level machines,and go straight to a mid level..Save money on a upgrade and some people might get so discouraged from the lack of performance on these entry level machines,and think that’s all there is.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Elite Member

No one needed to tell me this, but tell them it's a hobby to be enjoyed, not a way to get rich.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Elite Member

Fill your holes. Plug cutting demo would be helpful. Also how to pop with a screwdriver.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Supporter

Well I'm still early in my career,..roughly 3 years..but something I still spend some time on is just simply the types of detectors and how the machines work. IN other words if I was giving a class I would start with basics of how the VLF PI FBS and so on actually function. Their strengths,..their weaknesses.

Another thing I have figured out is how important recovery speed is to me and the areas I hunt.,....and maybe finish up with basics of sensitivity/ gain/ GB/ etc,..if applicable.

Just my .02...but I'm no vet.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:17 PM

How to find good, legal sites to MD...

Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Supporter

Talking

Teach them the importance of leaving the areas they detect as good or better than when they arrived so they don't risk areas getting banned from detecting because of open holes, brown spots from improperly dug plugs, and trash.

Here is a neat graphic I found online, perhaps you can give them a printout.
Name:  plughelp1a.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  39.8 KB
Name:  plughelp2a.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  52.0 KB

Also, your post reminded me of this funny comic
Name:  detclass2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  150.5 KB

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 02-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Shop Shop Shop..Play With All The Machines To Get A Feeling How They Work.

SE GP-PK151 Compact Collapsible Magnetic Prospector’s Pick Plainsman Leather Gloves

Old 02-12-2018, 07:07 PM

I’d have copies of the States trespass laws to hand out.
Before hunting ‘public’ areas ensure they know to check with the convening authority before striking out. Some public places have very strict rules.
Also ensure they understand when you pick something up off the ground you technically now ‘own’ it - and throwing it back down would be littering. Maybe find a good deal on some of the heavy Cotten waist construction pouches and Hand them out as trash carriers for caps, pull tabs etc.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by HiDesertHunter View post
.... Before hunting ‘public’ areas ensure they know to check with the convening authority before striking out.....
No, you/they don't need to "check with convening authority". If they have some doubt or wonder, they look any rules/laws/codes up for themselves.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 AM
Elite Member

If you ask bureaucrat about detecting on city, state, county or any government property the odds that they will say no because they do not know the laws in their area and they want to protect their backsides.

Take the time to research the city, county, state etc laws and if metal detecting is not mentioned then i go ahead and detect.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Supporter

Two Hours Huh? I suppose a guy would try to cover the basic concepts of the gear and the benefits of developing an interest in the Sport/Activity...Not everybodies brains are wired for Outdoor Pursuit Oriented Sports...This is Not a Team Sport, results are measured by results alone...

This Sport requires Study, Concentration, Situational Awareness, Constant Skill Advancement, Desire to Succeed...Determination Applied Outdoors..

The Outdoor World is your Classroom, Persistence is your Professor...

Two Hours is not enough unless you compress the conversation to the basics, and hope those that have the mind for it, take off from there...

Mel Fisher's Story would be interesting for two hours...Oversell the Wonderment of Adventure..."Todays the Day!" Mentality can cross over into other aspects of leading a successful Life......Not everyone gonna find an Atocha, but in our own small way, even in a totter, we experience the thrill of it...and we gain the advantages of developing 'Determination to Succeed'...

This Sport like No other can have a positive effect on a Young Persons Life and keep them engaged in a healthy outdoor pastime and ever expanding Skillset of Experiences with a Life of Wonder...Teaches all sorts of ancillary and important things...

Good on Ya for attempting this..its a serious opportunity to change somebodies Life for the better that just dont come along every day...You can set a kid on a good path...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Elite Member

Thanks to all for your contributions, I appreciate everyone's input.

Some mentioned that two hours isn't enough but this is meant to truly be an "introduction to metal detecting" class. I'm just looking to be an ambassador for the hobby so to speak and share my knowledge/experience with those who may be interested in getting to know what the hobby is about.

If it is well attended and received I will approach the program director about a more indepth - and more classes - followup course diving down into the nitty gritty.

Thanks again and any and all further comments!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 PM
Supporter

Tell 'em if they EVER see them goobers on TV metal detecting, to change channels

Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
No, you/they don't need to "check with convening authority". If they have some doubt or wonder, they look any rules/laws/codes up for themselves.

I’m glad you covered this Tom. I knew you would! Yes, call a low level bureaucrat hoping for a yes...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk