Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:47 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Beyonder123 View post
That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.
For me, that would only work with truly 'junk' silver coinage. I have a large bag of bent, cut, gouged, large-holed failed coin-ring attempts, unidentifiable slicks...etc...coins with no numismatic value whatsoever. Would be kind of cool to have a bar made out of that. Otherwise, no-no.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:28 AM

That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.
Ooh boy are we on the same page... Until it is a faceless, dateless, mint-mark-less slug... It's worthy. There is a HUGE motivation in preserving our American history that indeed drives my coin collecting.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by sandgroper View post
That's how I do it as well. I put all my dug silvers in coin holders. The stuff I buy goes in organiser boxes.
In any capitalist republic, the history of our money, is indeed equal to the history of our republic.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

I have a lot of junk silver I am hoarding for the future....I figure in 20 years or so when all my kids are grown and on their own my wife and I are gonna take a cruise or something big.....all my good coins....gold, better date silver and coppers, I have locked in a safe and I will leave them to my kids once im 6 feet down, what they do with them is up to them.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

I did not advocate the practice, and have never done it myself. The fact is we're talking about non-rare coins that on the open market are only valued based on their weight and purity. If you can get a coin collector to buy a busted up GW quarter for more than melt value, then more power to you. There is and never will be a shortage of common date mercury dimes, kennedy halves, etc, etc. The open market considers them raw material.

3 members found this post helpful.