Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 PM
eTXOne eTXOne is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Default What to do with common silver coins?

I'm a newbie here, and I've been hitting the parks and local tot lots pretty hard lately. I've found some silver, mostly clad, and a tone of pull tabs naturally.

All of this hunting has got me thinking about how to get the most out of this hobby, so I have been looking more closely at the dates of my pocket change, researching Key dated coins, double dies, etc. I even bought a small magnifying glass to check these. I figure if I happened to have some clad with any of these traits I would research them and try and sell it.

But my next thought was about silver coins, I wondered what most people do with their silver coins. I figure the older silver would be easy to find a buyer for, but what about newer silver?
what do you do with your silver nickels, dimes and quarters?
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:56 AM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,898
Default

I keep mine in a screw organiser box, but other people use coin tubes. Here's a link for some:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Duraclea...cAAOSwyWZZXxmH

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
2018 totals: $1017.54AUD (360x$2, 199x$1, 54x50c, 161x20c, 210x10c, 255x5c, 159x2c, 241x1c) and 86 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:11 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,607
Default

Hoard, hoard, hoard those silver coins. Why on earth would you sell? Never could do that myself. It was hard enough to find em to begin with! Just pass them on down to your kin when you're old and grey, that's what I say.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM
worm12ga worm12ga is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
Posts: 706
Default

Most of what you're describing would be considered 'junk silver', very easy to sell but not terribly valuable. Because it's silver content is well known and standardized, people usually buy it a markup over face value, like 10 times face or 20 times face, it all depends on where silver spot price is.

As with anything, a coin dealer or metals buyer (cash-for-gold type places) will be quickest sell but lowest price. Ebay, craigslist, or even right here on the forum will probably get you better money.

It sounds like you're already checking dates and condition for things worth more than melt.

Lastly, you mentioned silver nickels? They were only made during part of WW2 and have a different silver percentage than dimes, quarters, and halfs. You are not likely to find them in significant quantities, in ~20 years of looking through change i've only found 10 or so.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 17,861
Default

Keep them until you need to sell.

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,155
Default

I have a pile of silver just sitting in a drawer,not doing me any good,,been thinking the same thing..What to do with it..Silver don't pay much,so I guess it'll just accumulate
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM
worm12ga worm12ga is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
Posts: 706
Default

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
I have a pile of silver just sitting in a drawer,not doing me any good,,been thinking the same thing..What to do with it..Silver don't pay much,so I guess it'll just accumulate
If they're truly junk, and some people will consider this blasphemous, you can send them to a refiner and for a percentage they will send you nice pretty bars. Personally, I would have a hard time doing that to coinage, but for jewelry or other scrap, it would be neat to have 1oz bars with verified purity.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 AM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 805
Default

Originally Posted by worm12ga View post
If they're truly junk, and some people will consider this blasphemous, you can send them to a refiner and for a percentage they will send you nice pretty bars. Personally, I would have a hard time doing that to coinage, but for jewelry or other scrap, it would be neat to have 1oz bars with verified purity.
Do you have a refiner that you have used before?

__________________
AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche
2018 Totals: Clad $264.85
Wheats: 129, Silver: 33, Silver Rings: 10
IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 AM
eTXOne eTXOne is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Default

Its interesting to see some of the different opinions About this subject.
When i first got into this hooby i didn't realize i would also be getting into coin collecting or numismatics.

But, i guess everyone is at a different place mentally in this hobby. Right now i am more interested in my MD paying for itself than i am coin collecting. Second i am more interested in the thrill of the hunt more so than numismatics.

That will probably change with time.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 AM
DiggerMD's Avatar
DiggerMD DiggerMD is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Ga..
Posts: 518
Default

Iím hoarding right now, not that I have much to hoard, but at last weigh I had almost 1oz. Of 90% and 1.5 oz of 925 worth about $50 according to my buyer so not worth it to melt. I have a couple of rings and pendants that if I sold would bring more than that. My detector paid for itself in 3 months in clad but I had a very affordable detector so I flipped that into a starter-mid level (Ameritek Liberator) honestly wish I wouldíve gone for another 3 with my first one and got a better machine but Iím impatient. Iím not in the hobby to make money but I have decided that since it can, the hobby will pay for itself. I will sell my finds and cash in my clad to move up. Iím goal oriented so it helps me to have a goal to aim for. My next move up will be the e-trac or the other E word that we wonít mention until itís been out.

__________________
9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1917 (3)Mercury dime, 1887 (3) IHP, Clad $202.80/40.00

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 AM
eTXOne eTXOne is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by DiggerMD View post
Iím hoarding right now, not that I have much to hoard, but at last weigh I had almost 1oz. Of 90% and 1.5 oz of 925 worth about $50 according to my buyer so not worth it to melt. I have a couple of rings and pendants that if I sold would bring more than that. My detector paid for itself in 3 months in clad but I had a very affordable detector so I flipped that into a starter-mid level (Ameritek Liberator) honestly wish I wouldíve gone for another 3 with my first one and got a better machine but Iím impatient. Iím not in the hobby to make money but I have decided that since it can, the hobby will pay for itself. I will sell my finds and cash in my clad to move up. Iím goal oriented so it helps me to have a goal to aim for. My next move up will be the e-trac or the other E word that we wonít mention until itís been out.
So this hobby is kind of like a video game. Collect enough coins to level up or get new gadgets
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 9,854
Default

Originally Posted by eTXOne View post
So this hobby is kind of like a video game. Collect enough coins to level up or get new gadgets
Yep...I was at the local CoinClub meeting last night...I sold some dug silver Q's and D's..got $40...bought a Morgan for $18 and a silver 1oz rd for $17...

Theres a few other Members here on this Forum that are also members of this CoinClub...We all joined and go hang out with these guys!

I never thought I'd be involved in a CoinClub either, but this Sport fits very well within that group...Those old guys know everything about tokens and coins and whatnot...very friendly and could open up some private hunting areas for you even!

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM
DiggerMD's Avatar
DiggerMD DiggerMD is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Ga..
Posts: 518
Default

Originally Posted by eTXOne View post
So this hobby is kind of like a video game. Collect enough coins to level up or get new gadgets
Haha I never thought of it like that but I guess youíre right.

__________________
9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1917 (3)Mercury dime, 1887 (3) IHP, Clad $202.80/40.00

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 AM
Detector's Avatar
Detector Detector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dodge City KS
Posts: 9,426
Default

I used to keep them for years but now I sell the common (Rosies/Mercs/Walkers/Roosevelts/kennedys) and keep the War nickels, barbers, seated and capped coins. I

__________________
The real treasure is in the hunt....

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 PM
worm12ga worm12ga is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
Posts: 706
Default

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Do you have a refiner that you have used before?
No but there are people on here that can recommend one or two. I don't find non-coin silver enough to be bothered, as I don't hunt the right places enough. Coin silver is so easy to sell as-is, but really I keep most of what I find as 'just in case' stuff. I do have two gold chains, one quite heavy, and some foreign silver coins I plan to sell the next time spot prices go up.

I'm happy to keep the 'normal' silver US coinage in the safe in case of emergency. Right now, silver is cheap enough I would consider buying up junk silver coins if it was reasonably priced. A friend of mine made a very handsome profit in the last spike.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 8,909
Default

I sell the newer ones but keep the oldies.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250.Minelab Sov Elite.Equinox 800. Compadre on indefinite loan.
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 AM
Lighthouse's Avatar
Lighthouse Lighthouse is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Default

A lot of people will tell you to hoard, and tube, and save in a box, etc. Which are ALL very valid things to do. I on the other hand invested in collector books over the years. No matter how crappy the coin is, if I can read the year and the mint mark, it goes into the appropriate blank spot in a collectors book as a "place holder" FIRST. What that basically means is until I find a better grade coin of that same date and mint mark that is currently in my collection, that one is just part of my current collection. If I do upgrade a coin in my collection, I simply pull the lesser one, THEN deal with it accordingly either as part of my hoard, or as a sellable collectors piece. Believe me, I've pulled coins VF coins worth $30, and replaced them with AU coins worth $1000. Just because I upgrade in my collection, doesn't mean the old coin gets tossed in the hoard.
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 AM
Lighthouse's Avatar
Lighthouse Lighthouse is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Default

Originally Posted by eTXOne View post
So this hobby is kind of like a video game. Collect enough coins to level up or get new gadgets
HAHA! In reality, the video games were modeled after how coin collectors have been doing it for a 150 years.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 AM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,898
Default

Originally Posted by Lighthouse View post
A lot of people will tell you to hoard, and tube, and save in a box, etc. Which are ALL very valid things to do. I on the other hand invested in collector books over the years. No matter how crappy the coin is, if I can read the year and the mint mark, it goes into the appropriate blank spot in a collectors book as a "place holder" FIRST. What that basically means is until I find a better grade coin of that same date and mint mark that is currently in my collection, that one is just part of my current collection. If I do upgrade a coin in my collection, I simply pull the lesser one, THEN deal with it accordingly either as part of my hoard, or as a sellable collectors piece. Believe me, I've pulled coins VF coins worth $30, and replaced them with AU coins worth $1000. Just because I upgrade in my collection, doesn't mean the old coin gets tossed in the hoard.
That's how I do it as well. I put all my dug silvers in coin holders. The stuff I buy goes in organiser boxes.

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
2018 totals: $1017.54AUD (360x$2, 199x$1, 54x50c, 161x20c, 210x10c, 255x5c, 159x2c, 241x1c) and 86 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 AM
Beyonder123's Avatar
Beyonder123 Beyonder123 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oregon City, Oregon
Posts: 162
Default

Originally Posted by worm12ga View post
If they're truly junk, and some people will consider this blasphemous, you can send them to a refiner and for a percentage they will send you nice pretty bars. Personally, I would have a hard time doing that to coinage, but for jewelry or other scrap, it would be neat to have 1oz bars with verified purity.
That seems pretty pointless to me. With American coinage, you already have a verified purity. Plus they have a slight added numismatic value. Melting them down is just a pointless waste of money and American history in my opinion.

__________________
Clad: $4.86, Wheats: 7, Silver: 1, Gold: 0, Oldest Coin: 1929 Penny, Oldest Item: Peters 12 Gauge HV Headstamp (1897-1907)
Join the metal detecting discord group: https://discord.gg/q4an7v

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.