Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM
ME&MYACE400's Avatar
ME&MYACE400 ME&MYACE400 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 567
Default What you thinkin' when your diggin'

I'm wondering if i'm going to be digging deeper

Have you found a mason jar yet, if so, what was in it

__________________
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Camo Diggers Pouch 1 1\2 Inch Paint Brush
13.5" Digging Knife And Minelab Pinpointer Pro 35
SE GP-PK151 Compact Collapsible Magnetic Prospector’s Pick Plainsman Leather Gloves

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 PM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,879
Default

I have found a mason jar, but there was only dirt inside!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
2018 totals: $1017.54AUD (360x$2, 199x$1, 54x50c, 161x20c, 210x10c, 255x5c, 159x2c, 241x1c) and 86 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 PM
Jamflicker's Avatar
Jamflicker Jamflicker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,932
Default

Some do too much thinking and not enough digging.

__________________
Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2018) - Clad: $3023.22 ($125.67), Silver Coins: 1501 (91), Wheats: 6678 (506), .925: 256 (14), Marbles 737 (76), Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1888 Seated Quarter

Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,146
Default

Sometimes I'm thinking I should just buy a tesoro,and cut out the middle man of the visual ID..No doubt I'd find more valuable stuff,and more junk.lol..
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 PM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 796
Default

The time I spend detecting are the times I get to not think of anything in particular. I just relax and concentrate on the tones.

__________________
AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche
2018 Totals: Clad $264.85
Wheats: 129, Silver: 33, Silver Rings: 10
IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
The time I spend detecting are the times I get to not think of anything in particular. I just relax and concentrate on the tones.
Yep! This is one of the most relaxing pasttimes! A guy doesnt have to think about much of anything! Lost in the wonderful tones, the dirt/finds/trash do the thinking and set the tempo.....Its like you are in a State of semi consciousness....like going to a Symphony....?

"In the Zone" is a wonderful State of mind...I used to get this when building a boat or something in my shop late at night....Mind for once is in Neutral, no worries or thoughts...creative and wonderful things are happening but its like I'm an observer and not really there...no pain, no worries, very fluid movements, easy and creative, pure relaxation experience...sure, all the senses are laser sharp, but the mind is too busy processing signals to think about much else...

Hard to describe...It is wonderful though...a guy cant be building a boat all the time.....

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Junkminer's Avatar
Junkminer Junkminer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cape girardeau, MO
Posts: 457
Default

Well said, Mud. Relaxing the mind is a wonderful (and necessary) thing. I get some of my best relaxation therapy while detecting, mowing, or fishing. It helps to recharge the batteries once in a while.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Junkminer View post
Well said, Mud. Relaxing the mind is a wonderful (and necessary) thing. I get some of my best relaxation therapy while detecting, mowing, or fishing. It helps to recharge the batteries once in a while.
Brother! You know your Father experienced this wonderful phenomenon with his Waterfowl Wood Carvings! An overactive and vivid mind needs a rest from thinking and just doing something for the recharge reset...some people call it 'being creative', but its actually a positive mental survival technique a guy has to reason...? Most folks inclined really cant help it..they must do it..unavoidable side effect....

I was wondering here for a while now Junky...do you have a Luna Moth in your collection?...What ectoderm trophy bug are you missing that a Brother might lend an assist on? I've been keeping my eyes open for a good bug for you....even bugs are getting hard to find!...thanks to Monsanto...

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.


Last edited by Mud-puppy; 02-14-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM
bowwinkles bowwinkles is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 790
Default

Well I did dig deep enough and it was a big old jar with a broken cork. Inside was a "Mud Puppy" but the cork was broken and as you can see it is still very much leaking.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM
NEA Farmer NEA Farmer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northeast Arkansas
Posts: 63
Default

“Ooo, a strong 97, now it’s 99. Only 4” deep. Work me a circle, man this plug is hard to get out. There we go. ***scans plug, scams hole*** “Where did my signal go??”

Sweep area again, “there it is, 8” away”. Dig another plug.

“What tha hell is going on???”

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Gray ghost headphones, Garrett carrot

2018 totals: clad $7.65, $0.37 lincolns, 1 silver quarter, 1 war nickel, 3 wheaties.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Junkminer's Avatar
Junkminer Junkminer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cape girardeau, MO
Posts: 457
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Brother! You know your Father experienced this wonderful phenomenon with his Waterfowl Wood Carvings! An overactive and vivid mind needs a rest from thinking and just doing something for the recharge reset...some people call it 'being creative', but its actually a positive mental survival technique a guy has to reason...? Most folks inclined really cant help it..they must do it..unavoidable side effect....

I was wondering here for a while now Junky...do you have a Luna Moth in your collection?...What ectoderm trophy bug are you missing that a Brother might lend an assist on? I've been keeping my eyes open for a good bug for you....even bugs are getting hard to find!...thanks to Monsanto...
I've been asked to put together seperate butterfly and moth displays for the Missouri Dept of Conservation for their visitor center. Sure would like a nice female Cecropia Moth to add to the moth display. Yes, there are fewer bugs and less variety these days. I too, blame overuse of pesticides. Thanks, Mud.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #12  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM
T-Man's Avatar
T-Man T-Man is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton OH
Posts: 2,209
Default

Darn it!!!! where did I leave my digger this time
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM
ME&MYACE400's Avatar
ME&MYACE400 ME&MYACE400 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 567
Default

Originally Posted by NEA Farmer View post
“Ooo, a strong 97, now it’s 99. Only 4” deep. Work me a circle, man this plug is hard to get out. There we go. ***scans plug, scams hole*** “Where did my signal go??”

Sweep area again, “there it is, 8” away”. Dig another plug.

“What tha hell is going on???”
That's me..here comes another trench

__________________
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Camo Diggers Pouch 1 1\2 Inch Paint Brush
13.5" Digging Knife And Minelab Pinpointer Pro 35
SE GP-PK151 Compact Collapsible Magnetic Prospector’s Pick Plainsman Leather Gloves

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by Junkminer View post
I've been asked to put together seperate butterfly and moth displays for the Missouri Dept of Conservation for their visitor center. Sure would like a nice female Cecropia Moth to add to the moth display. Yes, there are fewer bugs and less variety these days. I too, blame overuse of pesticides. Thanks, Mud.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Yeah? I was gonna mention Cecropia!...didnt think anybody would know what we were talking about though! Sounds like a New Model Minivan or SUV! You know..Sequoia, Cecrophia, Sephia....Allright..I'm on it!...I saw only one last year....Not quite sure if it was a female Cecrophia moth though? Might have been a small female bat?...I didnt see a purse...either way, it was something...We have 4 bald Eagles here now sitting up in the trees over the bayou.....just beautiful...

Wife wants me to go out on the ice and lay out some guts and liver!...OK, no problem, its Valentines day and I'm a hopeless romantic...Dozen roses? No! Haul a pound of liver out on the ice and feed the Eagles! Yeah, shes a keeper! ....FWIW, I aint seen a Luna Moth in the past 5years...and that is very troubling...

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Silver_Seeker's Avatar
Silver_Seeker Silver_Seeker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 807
Default

Originally Posted by stiffwrists View post
the time i spend detecting are the times i get to not think of anything in particular. I just relax and concentrate on the tones.
bingo

__________________
Instagram @diggingri

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Junkminer's Avatar
Junkminer Junkminer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cape girardeau, MO
Posts: 457
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Yeah? I was gonna mention Cecropia!...didnt think anybody would know what we were talking about though! Sounds like a New Model Minivan or SUV! You know..Sequoia, Cecrophia, Sephia....Allright..I'm on it!...I saw only one last year....Not quite sure if it was a female Cecrophia moth though? Might have been a small female bat?...I didnt see a purse...either way, it was something...We have 4 bald Eagles here now sitting up in the trees over the bayou.....just beautiful...

Wife wants me to go out on the ice and lay out some guts and liver!...OK, no problem, its Valentines day and I'm a hopeless romantic...Dozen roses? No! Haul a pound of liver out on the ice and feed the Eagles! Yeah, shes a keeper! ....FWIW, I aint seen a Luna Moth in the past 5years...and that is very troubling...
Guts on the ice on Valentines Day?! Yeah she's a keeper! Luna's are still around but everything in less abundance. Let me know if you see any Cecropias around those ball fields when you're stabbin' clad in the the early morning hours. Their flight time is midnight to 3:00.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer


Last edited by Junkminer; 02-15-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 02-15-2018, 05:41 AM
firewxman's Avatar
firewxman firewxman is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Platte, Nebraska
Posts: 1,746
Default

I’m usually thinking “cheese or no cheese and do I want fries with that?”

__________________
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Sun Ray X-1 probe, Killer Bee's, Garrett Pin Pointer, Atpro
Trying to fill my wheat penny album!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Seaking406 Seaking406 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 295
Default Silence... voices go quiet..

I've only started this obsession.. I mean hobby a week ago and already I've found myself in the zone.. where the voices go away.. stillness of mind and spirit.. swinging the MD to and fro, keeping it from hitting the sand.. slow pace, looking at the indicators.. feeling the breeze on my face as I slowly move up and down a beach through, so relaxed, so in tune with nature.. so.. relaxed..

and completely startled when someone approaches me and asks if I've found treasure yet..

dayum.. this is a really relaxing hobby

Cheers
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.