Completely baffled by this coin

Zoidberg661

OK, I found this old coin today in an area that has yielded many good old finds including coins. However, I have never found anything that looks like this. It was about 8 inches deep and I would say in very very good condition. Sorry I didn't photo it next to a modern coin, it is exactly 1 inch wide (25mm). The only markings I can make out are the V and the B on what I think is the backside of the coin.

Does anyone have any idea what this coin is?

Attachments

• mysteriousCoin_front.jpg
    mysteriousCoin_front.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 15,554
  • mysteriousCoin_back.jpg
    mysteriousCoin_back.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14,929
I do a LOT of coin collecting and have a couple similar. Thanks for the great photos, they are the perfect size for identifying these coins. I'm going to sharpen then reverse image them, see if I can tell you where they're from... may I ask where you found this?

Wow, nice reference find, I have been searching for hours now, eBay rocks! Bummer though, I thought it might be a rare coin. It is a really weird find though, especially how deep and where I found it. Strange days..........

Okay, done beating my head against the wall... can't find anything exactly like it. Many places use a coat of arms, and a crowned coat of arms very similar to that in the second photo. Many places use a crown like in the first picture. These types of coins are generalized as "Kroner", "Krone", or "Crowns". There's a large Nordic influence throughout the world, especially in the early days, where they established colonies. You can find these markings on all kinds of coins, but I've looked at thousands of coins, through all my databases, and couldn't find onw with a crown on one side and a crowned coat of arms on the other.

So, switching tactics, I went to identify the design just inside of the outer wring. It looks amazingly Moroccan, however Morocco is of French heritage and uses Francs, not Kroners. Went back all the way as far as I could look into Morocan history and couldn't find a coin like this.

There may be some features in the picture on the right that would help to maybe identify this, but they aren't clear enough in the photo. Looks like letters in the crown.

Anyway, after lengthy research, I can't find it...lol...

Looks like a game token. The coat of arms is reminiscent of one of the Spanish coat of arms. In particular, as used for a period prior to 1868.

397px-Escudo_del_rey_de_España_abreviado_antes_de_1868_con_toisón.svg.png

I have The 2010 Standard Catalog of World Coins, and I dont see anything even similar in there.

Okay, done beating my head against the wall... can't find anything exactly like it. Many places use a coat of arms, and a crowned coat of arms very similar to that in the second photo. Many places use a crown like in the first picture. These types of coins are generalized as "Kroner", "Krone", or "Crowns". There's a large Nordic influence throughout the world, especially in the early days, where they established colonies. You can find these markings on all kinds of coins, but I've looked at thousands of coins, through all my databases, and couldn't find onw with a crown on one side and a crowned coat of arms on the other.

So, switching tactics, I went to identify the design just inside of the outer wring. It looks amazingly Moroccan, however Morocco is of French heritage and uses Francs, not Kroners. Went back all the way as far as I could look into Morocan history and couldn't find a coin like this.

There may be some features in the picture on the right that would help to maybe identify this, but they aren't clear enough in the photo. Looks like letters in the crown.

Anyway, after lengthy research, I can't find it...lol...

That's 'cuz it's not a coin guys. Coins have dates, values etc etc etc. And for the sake of argument, it doesn't look old at all, nearly every modern currency I have from like 60% of the World's nations... all have legends on the coins, whether it be abotu where its from, the year, the denomination.

Definitely a token of some sort. They key to unlocking the secret is the "V B" :yes:

Last edited:
And a quick Google Ninja search revealed this:

# Humble Mfg. Co., Inc. Since 1965 (no stars)/Carwash Token NR NCV VB (crown), 25mm, WM [Mfr Stock 70 A] {7541} HERE

And another token listing:
Busche's Car Wash, Fremont, NE/
Non-refundable, Carwash Token, No Cash Value VB (Crown) - wm

Last edited:
I am now accepting and coming to terms with the fact that this is probably not a rare coin but it is a completely bizarre find for me. The area it was found in is small, isolated, and as remote as you can imagine, I know the history of the area and it dates back to the early 1700's, nothing has been in or lived in this area for over a hundred years. Additionally, it is difficult to get to, it takes me over 2 hours to get there, not many people even know where it is, or atleast I thought :) Prior to say 1900 there was lots going on but after that, abandonment, and I mean complete abandonment. This token/coin was DEEP! I aint kiddin on that, I dug and dug with my trowel to get this puppy out of the ground.

If it is indeed a car wash token then it certainly ranks as the MOST bizarre find I have ever dug in this particular area which has yielded some amazing antique relics. Go figure huh? I love treasure hunting!!!

The lion rampant just shouts out at me.Its Welsh.Those are the prince of Wales feathers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales's_feathers.I dont mean the coin,just the coat of arms.

The Welsh didn't have a monopoly on rampant lions. ;) The rampant lion appears on the Spanish coat of arms as a symbol of the kingdom of Leon (lion in spanish), just like the castles is a symbol for the kingdom of Castille.

Where are the feathers?

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain

The Welsh didn't have a monopoly on rampant lions. ;) The rampant lion appears on the Spanish coat of arms as a symbol of the kingdom of Leon (lion in spanish), just like the castles is a symbol for the kingdom of Castille.

Where are the feathers?

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain

Look closer.But you live and learn and get things wrong.Id never learn if I was right all the time.Only giving my opinion.Nothing wrong with that.

Don't coins usually make a point to tell where they are from and who was the King/Queen/whatever that was in power?

Back
Top Bottom