New to Metal detecting - found silver ring!

clcrump

Hello all, i’m New to metal detecting and to this forum. I’ve only been out for about 20 hours at local parks. This morning, I found a sterling silver ring (s925). The markings are on the inside of the ring. How do I determine worth? I’m assuming the “diamonds” in it are fake since it is sterling silver. Thoughts?

Sterling silver is worth 46 cents per gram. Most sterling rings weigh just a very few grams. Now to sell it would depend on how much the buyer is willing to pay.

Hello all, i’m New to metal detecting and to this forum. I’ve only been out for about 20 hours at local parks. This morning, I found a sterling silver ring (s925). The markings are on the inside of the ring. How do I determine worth? I’m assuming the “diamonds” in it are fake since it is sterling silver. Thoughts?

Unless it's by a desirable maker, or just a particularly attractive design, it's worth the melt value. There are websites where you can enter the weight and it'll tell you the melt value based on current prices. Some detectorists who find a lot of silver just save it up and cash it in.

Welcome, digging anything silver early in this hobby is doing well. Probably save until enough worth while to melt.

Generally, if I can get $5 for a sterling ring, I'm thrilled. The melt value us usually just a few bucks at most (sometimes less than $1.). I've sold heavy silver rings for up to $10, though.

Even with diamonds, they're not worth much (because diamonds aren't worth much).

Cheers!

Skippy

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice about the silver ring I found already. I didn’t realize it was good to something like this so soon. That makes me excited to keep going. I think I’ll take someone’s advice and save all my solver finds, then cash it all in at once. On a side note; I started detecting with a lonestAr Pro from Academy Sports, but quickly learned I was going to really enjoy this hobby, so I recently (the last two days) upgrades to a Garrett AT Pro. I love it. I found $2.00 and some change in clad last night at the local park in th “ProCoins” mode. I also use a Farrett Pinpointer. Finally, is there a “Farrett Group I can join on this forum? Thanks again to all!

:fmdfwelcome: We're glad to have you! Congrats on your first silver, and on finding it so early on. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom