First hammered gold (NOT)

Dan B.

Elite Member
I have heard stories of people metal detecting, and finding gag targets buried with notes saying ha ha you found me.
With that being said today AirmetTango and I was out detecting a popular swimming beach. Not only popular with swimmers but also other people who detect.
Someone must have been trying to have fun at a detectorists expense. I came across a signal ranging from 11 to 13 on the Nox. When I pulled it out with my scoop not having my prescription glasses on all I saw was a glint of gold and a Spanish cross. Yelling over to my partner there is no way this could be real. I rinsed it off in the water held it out as far as I could to try to see it and realized this was a haha moment. Anyways, it's pretty cool.Share your stories if this has happened to you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_151507.jpg
    IMG_20190715_151507.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_20190715_151543.jpg
    IMG_20190715_151543.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 284
That “gold coin” may have been the best find of the day, if only for the sheer fun of the reaction!! I was at least 30-40 yards away when I heard Dan laughing and saying “No way....There’s no way this is real!!” I stopped immediately to go over and check out what he had, and my jaw dropped for a moment - and that was after he had made it to the water line to rinse it!! But the corrosion and feel of the “coin” snapped reality back into focus pretty quick! :lol: But I think I would have fallen over if I saw that pop out of the sand originally - the sand probably masked the corrosion pretty well on first sight!

Anyways, thanks Dan, for introducing me to beach hunting - it was my first foray into beach hunting, and it was definitely a different and fun experience. I wasn’t super successful on this outing, but it’ll be a nice alternative in the summer since the fields are closed and the ground/grass is too parched for other private permissions. Plus it’ll be a good destination to bring the family and still get some detecting time...win-win!!

I wasn’t super successful this first beach hunt, but I only stuck to the dry sand since I only had a small hand scoop (no long handle). Ended up with 31 cents in clad (including a 1954 nickel) and a Hot Wheels car in perfect shape (my youngest loves when I bring those home). And shotshell headstamps followed me to the beach!! Found a Peters HV headstamp that dates between 1927-1960, which was kind of an oddball find!

Ha. I just found something similar, but behind a concession stand at a football field. At least mine says "COPY" so there is no confusion. :laughing:

Attachments

• fake-coin1.jpg
    fake-coin1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 214
Congrats,still, a really cool find and the rush of the excitement had to go through the roof. I had a similar experience a while back. Good luck on your water hunting. HH Mark

I found a fake 8 reale cob at a beach in St. Augustine last year while on vacation. That was just plain mean. Lol

Back
Top Bottom