Civil War Trail right in my back yard. DeRidder, La

Zach

As soon as I start to think the civil war never touched the area I lived around I find a inner state sign that proved me wrong. About 2 and a half miles back in the woods by my house is The Old Confederate trail 1862 - 1865, a supply trail, which was actually one of the first roads in Beauregard parish for a while. After web browsing and talking to some older neighbors I think I can locate it. There is possibly a small bridge back there which really excites me. This weekend me and my buddy will take the hike y'all stay tuned for the update!
http://www.lutheransonline.com/servlet/lo_ProcServ/dbpage=page&GID=20100595095835793401111555&PG=20100595611761606401111555

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,230
I would hunt within 100 50 yards of each of the side of trail. I don't think they our troops walked a straight line, or in formation.

Careful that might be a historical site & off limits to detecting, hopefully not..

I do believe it is not seeing as this road spanned some 58 mile through my parish the part that I'm going in is surrounded by atleast 2 and a half miles of somewhat dense brush and doesn't have a house in sight for that far either. I highly doubt anyone would even knotice even if I dug a hole the size of a school bus, though I won't lol. I can't wait to get back there but I need my buddy with me just because I never go trekking that deep in the woods without anyone. ill bring a camera or my video camera and get some footage of the road if we find it and if it is at all recognizable.

I do believe it is not seeing as this road spanned some 58 mile through my parish the part that I'm going in is surrounded by atleast 2 and a half miles of somewhat dense brush and doesn't have a house in sight for that far either. I highly doubt anyone would even knotice even if I dug a hole the size of a school bus, though I won't lol. I can't wait to get back there but I need my buddy with me just because I never go trekking that deep in the woods without anyone. ill bring a camera or my video camera and get some footage of the road if we find it and if it is at all recognizable.

Good luck & hopefuly you'll stumble across a camp site...:grin:

Good luck! Sounds like a hard hunt to me lots of ground to cover. Think i'd wait for cooler temperatures

Awesome!

Sections of the trail itself may be best hunted in late fall to early spring when the vegetation is not as overgrown.

If you can determine the route of the old road, you should check out high elevations for signs of old structures that were along the trail (foundation stones, well-holes, cedar/magnolia trees, iron protruding from ground, etc).

I would also recommend detecting where the trail crosses any water sources.

Clark

If I can't hunt in a park, there's no way you will be allowed to search there.
I can safely say that it would be perfectly fine out there. I don't live in the city or in any suburbs with up tight police or anything. Any ways ask yourself this, Can a 120 mile road actually be considered a historical site? That just sounds irrational. historically marked buildings and such I would never dig but this is quite different. I'm sure you will see in the video if i'm up to making one that this area is very remote.

I can safely say that it would be perfectly fine out there. I don't live in the city or in any suburbs with up tight police or anything. Any ways ask yourself this, Can a 120 mile road actually be considered a historical site? That just sounds irrational. historically marked buildings and such I would never dig but this is quite different. I'm sure you will see in the video if i'm up to making one that this area is very remote.

It well may sound irrational, but don't count on it not being a historical site. I have an area very near my home that consists of 80,000 acres. It has scores of old homestead sites, along with at least two sites that had long gone towns on them. It is all dense forest and river banks. If I detect there, I can get the same penalties that I would get for detecting the Gettysburg Battlefield.

Please be careful.
Doug

Last edited:

That is what I'm talking about...

I know a few people that own property that once was the Erie Canal...

I also found my oldest coin 30ft from a similar sign that the OP posted, it was in my buddy's yard...

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom