Transporting your MD

My truck doesn't have a cover on it , so i just took some para-cord and attached it to all four hitch points in my truck bed (6 ft bed ) basically a big X...then ran another line across the front 2 hitch points. All i do is lay my detector on the cords hook the arm cuff under the second line across the front this keeps my detector off the bed and from bouncing around and the arm cuff under the second line keeps it secured. i lay my belt and tools in the bed and i'm off to the next spot.. the detectors sit down in the bed so you cant see them and they ride about 4-6 inches off the deck this works for me good luck with your set up.

I know this does not help your situation but My Honda Ridgeline actually has a locking trunk in the bed. It is the coolest thing ever and most people out there don't even know it exists.

I know this does not help your situation but My Honda Ridgeline actually has a locking trunk in the bed. It is the coolest thing ever and most people out there don't even know it exists.
If I'm in an area that I am worried about theft I'll put them in the cab. In the meantime my tailgate locks and with the tonneau cover they can't see what is in the bed.

Cliff

Bayou you have a crew cab. Maybe overhead gun rack running front to back.
That might work for the detectors but not the scoops and other junk that take up space. I have 3 detectors and if someone else comes along that could be a couple more so that takes more room. Not to mention the sand falling on my head. I just need to get out the tools and figure something out. I've got some scrap wood to play with. I was hoping someone had beat me to it and was willing to share.

Cliff

My tonneau cover is a roll up soft cover so no hanging them up there. Size is not an issue back there either. I am thinking about some kind of padded rack to hold the detectors and scoops that will sit in the bed and not waste a bunch of space. At the same time it needs to limit the bouncing on tough terrain. I was hoping someone had done something similar that would give me some ideas.

Cliff

A few years ago a friend of mine had a crew cab we used for deer stalking and shooting ect..What he did was make a false plywood floor and covered it in rubber matting..

This left a "space" about 4" deep (in his instance ) you could slide rifles (in padded cases) under the new floor where they would be out of the way and protected.

This approach also left the bed of the truck above uncluttered for the other stuff needed for hunting..

I've seen variations on this with proper draws that could be slid out to access what ever is being stored, but his was much simpler while still an efficient/practical use of space...

A few years ago a friend of mine had a crew cab we used for deer stalking and shooting ect..What he did was make a false plywood floor and covered it in rubber matting..

This left a "space" about 4" deep (in his instance ) you could slide rifles (in padded cases) under the new floor where they would be out of the way and protected.

This approach also left the bed of the truck above uncluttered for the other stuff needed for hunting..

I've seen variations on this with proper draws that could be slid out to access what ever is being stored, but his was much simpler while still an efficient/practical use of space...
The point is to get everything out of the cab so there is room for people if need be. Besides a rifle is much thinner than the average metal detector. After adding a floor your knees would be in your chin. I also want to leave as much sand out of the cab as possible.

Cliff

The point is to get everything out of the cab so there is room for people if need be. Besides a rifle is much thinner than the average metal detector. After adding a floor your knees would be in your chin. I also want to leave as much sand out of the cab as possible.

Cliff

The “false floor” is built over the floor of the load space/ pickup bed, not the cab....

And while detectors and sand scoops are typically a bit more bulky than rifles, I feel they are not prohibitively so, but it sounds like you’re leaning more to some sort of rack or frame to hold them....

The “false floor” is built over the floor of the load space/ pickup bed, not the cab....

And while detectors and sand scoops are typically a bit more bulky than rifles, I feel they are not prohibitively so, but it sounds like you’re leaning more to some sort of rack or frame to hold them....
Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning I thought you were talking inside the cab. That is kinda what I had in mind for the loose stuff like pinpointers, finds pouch, etc. with a rack for the detectors and scoops.

Cliff

Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning I thought you were talking inside the cab. That is kinda what I had in mind for the loose stuff like pinpointers, finds pouch, etc. with a rack for the detectors and scoops.

Cliff

No worries...If you haven't done so already, its worth searching using Google Images as all sorts of stuff comes up..

A quick look turned up the below pic...The bed in your truck sounds as if it might be shorter meaning the draws would not be as long, but it might still be practical.

maxresdefault.jpg

Detector box

Bayou Cliff,
I haven't up loaded pics on this forum before so lets hope that this works.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 93
I keep mine inside under a blanket. Away from eyes looking in. Bouncing around is not a good idea.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I keep mine inside under a blanket. Away from eyes looking in. Bouncing around is not a good idea.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
That's my concern. I don't want them bouncing around but I sure could use the space inside the cab.

Cliff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom