Old Mill town, privy?

mikeybonez28

It's been a while since I've posted here but I haven't swung or dug much but I was out hiking yesterday with my better half & I THINK I found an old privy but I'm not 100% sure. I should have taken a picture but the ticks & mosquitoes were beyond annoying.

Right, onto the pit. It's in the middle of what used to be an old Mill/tannery town that's now state game land. The hole is about 2x2 sunken down about a foot in the middle & extremely soft. I only got 1 swing before I wanted to nuke every insect within a mile but I found what I can only describe as a perforated metal cup. I'll try & post a pic of it tomorrow but I have no idea what it is.

As far as the town goes, the only map of it that I could find is from 1872 & it showed 2 Mills, a tannery, 2 company stores, a school, post office & about 15 houses. Any newer topo maps of the area don't show anything. There's tons of stone walls & overgrown clearings and the odd foundation or 2 but nothing else is left. In the same general area of the pit (20 foot or so) is a bunch of old steel/tin buckets & flat.

I've only touched on exploring the area but I hope it turns into a honey hole. The only downside to the area is the tick population which limits any future exploring to winter which had its own downside of turning the ground into a frozen mass. Plus deer season lol

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

mikeybonez28;3121308The only downside to the area is the tick population which limits any future exploring to winter which had its own downside of turning the ground into a frozen mass. Plus deer season lol Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
Deep Woods Off or Repel and you can get right out there and do what you want to do.

Deep Woods Off or Repel and you can get right out there and do what you want to do.
I had on repel tick defense & they were all over me, none of them were attached but had I not noticed them right away I'd have a potential problem. My wife got a dog tick on her Thursday & they're known for Rocky mountain spotted fever but I've read that as long as you get them off/out in under 24hrs you're fine but I still want to carpet bomb them all lol.

Once I get off work I'll post a pic of the....thing I found. There's probably at least a dump or 2 there but there's also a lot of ground cover so I either have to bushwhack or wait until it all dies off & try to kill a deer while I'm there

Here's a few pics, not sure how to put it in the 1st post with tapatalk
f77bdc0c3748a4d421676e6e9746aae1.jpg
dd2627cb2f8b9ed08d2c63a57a108e7d.jpg
1ef992693cbe8e9c0126270b56cce73c.jpg

If that’s part of a larger item then my initial guess is it’s the inside of a coffee percolator or something similar

If that’s part of a larger item then my initial guess is it’s the inside of a coffee percolator or something similar
Key word being if. I was thinking tea strainer but I'll Google old percolators & see if any match up. Would make sense to be 1 or the other. Not much else would fit the design. TO THE GOOGLE MOBILE!! LOL

I had on repel tick defense & they were all over me, none of them were attached but had I not noticed them right away I'd have a potential problem. My wife got a dog tick on her Thursday & they're known for Rocky mountain spotted fever but I've read that as long as you get them off/out in under 24hrs you're fine but I still want to carpet bomb them all lol.

Once I get off work I'll post a pic of the....thing I found. There's probably at least a dump or 2 there but there's also a lot of ground cover so I either have to bushwhack or wait until it all dies off & try to kill a deer while I'm there

Wow, that's a bad case of ticks. I guess the other thing you could do would be buy one of those big bottles of Ortho Home Defense. It as a battery operated sprayer nozzle. You could spray a whole lot of territory and it puts up a bug barrier that the bugs won't cross. I sprayed it in a wooden building that used to get full of wasps and there hasn't been any wasps in there at all this year. It might cost 12 or 15 dollars, I forget, but it really works.

But yeah, it sounds like you just need to let the ground cover die down so you can see what is there. Good luck with it, hope you find some old bottles and no telling what.

Back
Top Bottom