• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coin Probe

probes just seem like a good way to ruin coins to me. especially old silver coins an such. dragging the coin through the soil and rocks to the surface.....

How is it used properly?

I'm new to this so I apologize for such a basic question but...

How is a coin probe used?! Do you push it in the soil and 'feel' it make contact with a coin to pin point it to know where to dig? Do you use the probe to pull it out? Wouldn't small rocks / pebbles in the soil tap against the probe making it difficult to decide if it's a coin or not? To my inexperienced eye, this tool would need to make the task more difficult?

My experience with coins is that when my MD finds a coin target, I use my Garrett pin pointer to locate it below the surface after pin pointing it with the MD, which then gives me a very close approximation as to where to dig as small a hole as possible.. With a coin probe, I feel I would be stabbing the ground a lot to locate that coin?

Please enlighten us as to how one is used properly, I'm curious to know.

thanks!

Look up Fossickers.com,on the web. He has o r sells gold panning eq. but he has directions /instructions on how to recovery coins print it out. Metal Detecting Recovery Methods.

Look up Fossickers.com,on the web. He has o r sells gold panning eq. but he has directions /instructions on how to recovery coins print it out. Metal Detecting Recovery Methods.

Painfully slow redirected site... However, I scoured the site and learned a lot about panning for gold and such, but nothing on a coin probe.. they must have that page hiding in deep somewhere.. ?!

Thanks all the same.. fun read.

I just left the site, its there,scroll down past the videos, you should see it.

Not doubting you but I think I'm being redirected (due to geo-IP).

When I go to http://fossickers.com a page comes up redirecting me to snakeriveproducts.com which oddly enough ends up being still http://fossickers.com weird..

On the video page there are 8 videos all about sluicing, nothing remotely relating to MD or coin probe... (or this subject within one of these videos?)

Cheers

After gently probing to locate the target, I move the probe and slide it across the top of the coin and then pull it up making a rip in the grass. Then I go back and gently slide the probe under the coin and lever it up through the slot in the grass. With a little practice it's not hard to do and the brass probe is unlikely to scratch the coin.

After gently probing to locate the target, I move the probe and slide it across the top of the coin and then pull it up making a rip in the grass. Then I go back and gently slide the probe under the coin and lever it up through the slot in the grass. With a little practice it's not hard to do and the brass probe is unlikely to scratch the coin.

Thanks for the info!

That's a nice probe right there. You could "market" those.. Thanks for sharing.

Made mine out of a brass toilet tank rod and a wooden file handle. Since I work 1 day a week now I still get my store discount. Total was like 4.50.
I ran a 1/4x20 tap into the hole in the file handle, then screwed the rod in. Took my grinder and tapered the exposed end of the rod, and removed most of the threads while I was there.
I followed up with a mouse sander to smoooth things down a bit. I then made a 3/4 inch cpvc scabbard for it.
Looks like me.....kinda rough, but its all business. BTW....1/4 inch has a LOT more resistance to bending.

Another Probe

I use large plastic knitting needles. I modify the ends of some to be flat. I first locate targets with a standard knitting needle and then pop it out with the modified flat-ended knitting needle. They work great on shallow targets and never damage any good finds.

I just can't see how the probe method on coins works unless I guess its only used on the really shallow coins? I have to try it. Now its bugging me! The smallest thing I use is the red handheld lesche. I've gotta pull out my long worn skinny screw driver.

Oooooh! I was wondering how you all do this probe thing. Never did. Got to try.

Back
Top Bottom