Bullet, Whatzits, and My First Button

ga5150

Elite Member
I gridded off a section of a site I've hunted several times previously that had some Civil War soldiers stationed at it. I've pulled many .58's from there, but this week got the horseshoe (which may not be Civil War related at all), and also got my very first button. The picture shows the from the ground appearance and it's not cleaned up.

Can anyone help with identification and info on my button? I can provide cleaned up pictures if necessary.

Also found several whatzits that may or may not be from that time. If anyone has ideas on them, please let me know.

092713A.jpg

Horseshoe, two bullets (one shot, one strangely curved), button, two whatzits.

092713B.jpg

Button up close before cleaning. Button measures exactly 7/8".

092713C.jpg

Whatzit #1- Some type of latch? Round piece at left looks as if it would drop in like a hinge assembly. Right side is some sort of latching piece?

092713D.jpg

Whatzit #2- Straight bar for something, but small piece at cutout in middle appears to be copper, as it's green tarnished. Has hole in far right side.

Last edited:
Nice Yankee Staff button! I agree those iron pieces look like a latch/hinge of a sort. That other button shaped thing looks interesting to me. Can we get a close up of that piece?

As requested, here are some front/back shots. I think it may be a piece to a button. The small nipple part has a hole that goes all the way through. I tried to capture it in one of the photos. The other side is solid. It is exactly 7/8" and is the exact same size as the staff button.

UnidentifiedA.jpg

UnidentifiedB.jpg

UnidentifiedC.jpg

Nice Yankee Staff button! I agree those iron pieces look like a latch/hinge of a sort. That other button shaped thing looks interesting to me. Can we get a close up of that piece?

Back
Top Bottom