Silent search/stealth device LED light

bobcartree

Forum Supporter
i made this one but it dose not work the led dose not light up when i turn on my MD it seems to need a chip or some thing to pick up the the power from the MD so anyone know , :?:

Attachments

• 2006_0103stuff0002.jpg
    2006_0103stuff0002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 931
  • 2006_0103stuff0003.jpg
    2006_0103stuff0003.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 2006_0103stuff0004.jpg
    2006_0103stuff0004.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 899
Oh boy... Well, you have a stereo plug, so one wire will be common, the other two are for the right and left channels. Obviously, you need to make sure one leg of the LED is attached to the common lead. No way to tell from the pictures, probably need a meter to tell.

Blue and white LEDs need 3.2-3.6 volts to turn on, and about 20 mA for full brightness. More than a little doubtful the headphone jack can provide. Likely need a transistor as a switch.

Maybe something here will help.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/?q=music+to+light+LED&sort=none

Don't have time this morning to look through them to find the best for your needs, but it'll be a good start, you learn a few things, maybe find the one that best suits you.

Hello,

As Harvey wrote, use a transistor as a switch, but add a zener diode as well, which can limit the voltage to the LED (It will burn up fast if you send too much power to it) The Zener diode will allso make sure that you don't send power the wrong way and fry your detector)

The circuit for driving the LED is build into all cheap flashlights - maybe you can use one, and then replace the switch on the flashligt with the diode and the transistor?

Measure the output from the detector, to make sure that you are not sending so much power that you destroy everything. A diode will lower the voltage with about 1.5 volt. - read the schematics for every component to get it right.

You really need an osciliscope to measure what you get from the detector, a capacitor might be needed to smoothen out the signal before you send it to the LED.

Don't blow up your detector, dump your schematics and calculations on a electronics forum, before you let the blue smoke, out of your detector.

GL - it sure looks like a fun project.

/Steffen

Last edited:
o wow,my MD seems to still be working fine ,wow what a bad thing it would be to kill my ace 250000000,:no: the leds i got from good will 2 packages 25. each red ,blue ,green yellow, xmass lights ,i went to raido shack and looked at what they had,they guy new nothing, they got what you need at RS i think, if you know what you are doing, i was usen blue just to as a try out,i have a bike light led i open up , tought the led to that it worked ,i have a bag of head phones i got from yard sales for a dollar or less,thats were i got the plug,top part is xmass light,take tthe light out and put the led in, thanks a lot for your info ,i think this might help others who were thinking about what to do ,

yes i know but, there is 2 poeple or3 that are selling them ,i was seeing if i could , well, its a bit more then i thought, thanks for the info, if some one want to make one this might help,

Use a plug wire for an electric guitar.I made some after buying one from the guy on ebay amd they all work good.

Back
Top Bottom