I Popped A Couple Of Big 'Uns

beephead

Elite Member
Today I thought I'd try a new site instead of going and looking for a man's lost wedding band. I just wasn't in a dig it all mood and that's what it's going to take to find that man's lost gold ring. At the new site, right from the get-go, I got my search coil over a nice-sounding target. The ID on the MXT-Pro was drifting back and forth slowly from 89 to 90. I knew by the smooth audio response and those ID numbers that I was going to be a happy camper. Sure enough, I popped a 1950 Benjamin Franklin Half Dollar that's in great condition. I went on to find a couple of Rosie dimes, 6 wheat pennies, and some clad coins including, a 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar before heading for the house.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 624
Beautiful coins! Is it still cool weather there in Memphis? Have to get those hunts before the heat sets in

Thanks, everyone! The temperature here in getting up in the upper 70's and lower 80's with high humidity like always, so pretty soon I'll be down to having to limit my hunts to the early morning hours. I'm always surprised when I see a Big Ben pop out of the ground since there weren't many of them made. I'm switching around detectors to keep things interesting. The ID on the MXT-Pro is spot on and the 6 x 8 SEF search coil is the best coil for it hands-down. It's no wonder why people hardly ever get rid of their MXT. It can hold its own with most newer detectors and it's super fun to use. I love analog!

beephead

Good finds but if you told someone you would help them find a lost ring, and blew them off... Not cool. That's what I read from your story. Maybe I misunderstood.

Good finds but if you told someone you would help them find a lost ring, and blew them off... Not cool. That's what I read from your story. Maybe I misunderstood.

You did. It was my understanding that the wedding band has been lost for some time, it wasn't a recent loss. I never spoke with the 'man', I spoke with his neighbor who is suppose to get information from him about the loss and the type of ring, etc.. The man's yard is totally junked up and it's going to take a bunch of time and effort to search the yard properly because I'm going to have to dig pretty much everything. Here lately, I've been having some foot problems which is aggravated and made worse by getting up and down digging targets, so I've been doing mostly 'cherry-picking'. Presently, I'm resting more days than detecting. When I get in the right frame of mind to dig it all and my feet aren't hurting me, I'll start looking for that man's ring, but not until then.

beephead

Thanks for the extra background info. I hope your foot feels better soon. I know how those can go. As for the ring, hopefully with some more information on it, you'll be able to make a snappy recovery of it some day.

Again congrats on the big Ben!

As a old Whites XLT user I was glad to hear what you said about being comfortable with an older machine. You seem to have the cherry picking down to a science looking at those silver coins. I found a nice Ben Franklin half a month or so ago and it is a sweet sound. Hope your foot problem gets better and maybe you can try to find the wedding ring for that guy.

I never argue with a Benjamin half. And I like the in-situ reveal pix too :cool:

Nice! I’ve found several Franklin and Barber halves, but it seems the silver ‘64 Kennedy is the toughest. Of course, it’s a one year mint. Curious what your luck has been with silver Kennedy’s?

Nice! I’ve found several Franklin and Barber halves, but it seems the silver ‘64 Kennedy is the toughest. Of course, it’s a one year mint. Curious what your luck has been with silver Kennedy’s?

I just recently found a '64 Kennedy this year that's in mint condition. I'm pretty sure that I found another one a few years back.

beephead

I have 64 Kennedy and a clad Kennedy and a Barber half, but no Ben. It's a goal for this year, but I'm just not detecting enough yards due to the social distancing guidelines and parks were already off limits.

Back
Top Bottom